Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poor year for ski sales and rentals

Poster: A snowHead
Here in Andorra it’s been a pretty poor snow year. The ski shops are struggling as a result. Sales are down (one report said the worst on record) and rentals are also down. People are renting for short periods at a time just in case they decide not to ski because of the conditions.

I wonder if this is a similar picture elsewhere?

https://m.andorradifusio.ad/noticies/hivern-dificil-botigues-lloguer-venda-esquis?fbclid=iwar3bivcuel-sjoq3fxbima3ju2u5hlc_jgqj2q2jc-p5t3nasl26yejeeba_aem_aeryxufqyr5dyfj-th9lhgxas7maxgzdas_hgvrvqfvtmhj5jnnqsxcqjmzfmss6dsa
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some Michigan (US) resorts had a poor start to the season back in Dec 2023 and reported weaker demand for early kit.

Low snow = low sales.
High snow = high sales.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can see rental is down when snow is really poor, as people aren’t skiing when there’s no snow.

Things like clothing and gloves etc. are probably affected similarly. If people aren’t skiing, they’re not thinking of replacing any of their worn gears.

Don’t know how ski sale is affected as I have no idea what makes people want to buy new skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unlikely to buy new skis to ski over stones and mud.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc wrote:
I can see rental is down when snow is really poor, as people aren’t skiing when there’s no snow.

Things like clothing and gloves etc. are probably affected similarly. If people aren’t skiing, they’re not thinking of replacing any of their worn gears.

Don’t know how ski sale is affected as I have no idea what makes people want to buy new skis.
Have you never bought new skis?
The n+1 strikes harder when thinking about a trip!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If folk are now changing or picking ski resorts late on, for example there was anecdotal talk here in January of it being unprecedentedly busy in places such as Val Thorens, then it’s a natural assumption that other places have lost out.

Booking.com etc allow you to hedge your bets with some free cancellation accommodation, is picking an area late becoming a ski trip trend?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Csb123, …ah…interesting…

I am likely to buy skis when the snow is good - I can muck about and experiment on new planks

I am likely to buy skis when snow is poor since I don’t want to wreck the skis I just bought in anticipation of a good snow season

But that’s just us ….
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thomasski wrote:
abc wrote:

I only bought new skis when my old skis are falling apart. And even then, I may choose to fix them and continue to use them. Laughing

That said, if I’m not enjoying my skiing, I maybe tempted to buy new skis in the hope the new skis will make skiing more enjoyable? Fortunately I don’t seem to be having too much of such experience. I’ve been enjoying my skiing enough to not need to worry about my skis.

Quote:

I don’t really have time to “think” about skiing. I’m too busy skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not sure that’s the situation around Chamonix …
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
£160 a week to rent some planks which probably cost £500-600 wholesale

I suspect we are seeing many people priced out of skiing with all the other costs

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 26-02-24 22:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@abc, ...excellent
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc wrote:
Thomasski wrote:
abc wrote:

I only bought new skis when my old skis are falling apart. And even then, I may choose to fix them and continue to use them. Laughing

That said, if I’m not enjoying my skiing, I maybe tempted to buy new skis in the hope the new skis will make skiing more enjoyable? Fortunately I don’t seem to be having too much of such experience. I’ve been enjoying my skiing enough to not need to worry about my skis.

Quote:

Living the dream! I unfortunately have to work in an non-ski related field... Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hammerite wrote:
Here in Andorra it’s been a pretty poor snow year. The ski shops are struggling as a result. Sales are down (one report said the worst on record) and rentals are also down. People are renting for short periods at a time just in case they decide not to ski because of the conditions.

I wonder if this is a similar picture elsewhere?

It has always been like that. Early saison in the alps was exceptionally good, though, with excellent conditions holding out past New Year. That should already make up for a huge chunk of the expected sales, even more so counted in value. After that there might have been a down turn in the run up to half term, but things are getting better now. I don't expect crazy low prices over the summer, if that was the question.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thomasski wrote:
abc wrote:

Quote:

Living the dream! I unfortunately have to work in an non-ski related field... Sad

I don’t work in ski related field either.

But I live close to snow. So all my spare time, I get to ski (barring lousy weather).

I have other winter pastime that takes up the “spare” time when I’m not skiing. So really, I don’t have time to “think” too much about skiing when I’m not skiing. Laughing

I’m also not a shopping person. I buy things when I absolutely need them! (Sometime past that Embarassed , which makes me like a cheapskate).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hammerite, had a long and unprompted conversation on this topic in a shop in Meribel a few weeks back (before the recent snow hit).
Her comment was that both the low snow volume and warmer temperatures meant both less ski sales and less clothing sales....
ski holidays
My Ski Boot liners have seen better days. When/if the boots go, I'm not sure it'll be worth the time and effort to replace them?

Same goes for the rest of my ski gear.
ski holidays
@hamilton, …yep

So the macro trend?

Messaging in media - skiing is f….. bec of climate change - not so but that’s the abiding impression - doom!! gloom!!
Will become self-fulfilling…

Erratic snow cover - fewer people are booking ahead, more chancing it, but then fewer skiing overall - aging skiing population and younger finding different things to do - like snowboard using a VR headset in their bedroom

Brexit - there I said it - decimated the UK chalet industry and although it’s sort of staggering to a recovery no way is it what it was…but note prior to Brexit CH previously changed rules to reduce exploitation of workers so it was a trend already. 90 in 180 rule a pain for anyone - like the Grom - who was on a path to instructing for a year in CH

Poverty and inequality - COVID and the general way of things has stressed finances - inequality is growing.

Ukraine - lots of liquid money was flowing around and into skiing (Courchevel, Crans) - that’s all stopped

Greening of the world - something which I really really support - will probably lead to much less flying - removal of all the tax breaks and subsidies to air transport - which will REALLY push down skiing…big time. Unless the trains get their international act together, this simply will hit skiing hard.

Consolidation and bankruptcy - USA had hundreds of small resorts. They have all gone. Bankrupt. Japan too. Vail is building and building, sniffing at failing resorts. Investment in infrastructure almost impossible in the face of climate change - who would put 20 million into a new lift when the return is so uncertain? Like flying…we ain’t seen nothing yet. Pass prices will escalate as numbers go down and resort managers panic. Oh dear. One way street.

I have just bought our first sets of touring skis. I am reading the runes and looking at the signs (often they are signs of Spring in February)….
snow report
People are just buying from online retailers like Decathlon
snow conditions
We knew inflation was hitting everyone and that it's not longer employees market, and yet prices skyrocketed again.
I took a different approach to snowboarding this year, have my own snowboarding setup, coffee mug and lunch box. I also used point ski pass instead of day ski pass. Kids are more happy because have more breaks, I'm happy because I'm spending less.
snow report
Now also available for skis on the online marketplace Refurbed

'Refurbed', the online marketplace for refurbished products, has expanded its range to include skis and snowboards. It is the first time that the platform offers refurbished products other than electronics in the Netherlands.

Encouraging reuse

Refurbed is active in seven countries and is expanding its product range in each country, but this time it is going beyond just electronics. The platform already offered products in categories such as smartphones, smartwatches, laptops and tablets, but now skis, snowboards and bicycles, for example, are being added. In this way, the company hopes to make a positive impact by encouraging reuse and combating the waste of raw materials in this sector as well.

Collaboration with Blue Tomato

For skis and snowboards, refurbed has partnered with Blue Tomato, a well-known retailer in Europe in the fields of snowboarding, freeskiing, surfing, skateboarding and street style. In 2020, they launched the so-called 'Snow Services', with the aim of extending the lifespan of products. You can return used snowboards and skis, which are then professionally refurbished. They can then be sold again, e.g. by refurbed.

https://www.refurbed.nl/sc/winter/

Also active in other countries
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Now also available for skis on the online marketplace Refurbed

'Refurbed', the online marketplace for refurbished products, has expanded its range to include skis and snowboards. It is the first time that the platform offers refurbished products other than electronics in the Netherlands.

Encouraging reuse

Refurbed is active in seven countries and is expanding its product range in each country, but this time it is going beyond just electronics. The platform already offered products in categories such as smartphones, smartwatches, laptops and tablets, but now skis, snowboards and bicycles, for example, are being added. In this way, the company hopes to make a positive impact by encouraging reuse and combating the waste of raw materials in this sector as well.

Collaboration with Blue Tomato

For skis and snowboards, refurbed has partnered with Blue Tomato, a well-known retailer in Europe in the fields of snowboarding, freeskiing, surfing, skateboarding and street style. In 2020, they launched the so-called 'Snow Services', with the aim of extending the lifespan of products. You can return used snowboards and skis, which are then professionally refurbished. They can then be sold again, e.g. by refurbed.

https://www.refurbed.nl/sc/winter/

Also active in other countries

They're selling used redsters for £50 less than new ones... If you're spending over £500 on skis, why (aside from environmental concerns) would you bother taking the risk on something that has an unknown history? If they were £300-350 instead of ~£500 then it might make sense...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy