Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zardoz Notwax/Base Boost - Get it whilst you can!

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like Zardoz are no more - most probably as it's a flouro product and, like flouro waxes, it can no longer be manufactured. I've emailed them and left voicemails on numerous occasions in the last few months with no reply so I'm pretty sure they've gone.

So if you're a Zardoz fan then contact your usual retailer (wink) and stock up. All I've got left is a dozen pucks, a dozen refills and one Mini Shop Kit.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But... but... it was so deliciously moreish...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any racer will have plenty of fluoro wax that they are not allowed to use anymore, make them an offer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon, ta. Done.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
Any racer will have plenty of fluoro wax that they are not allowed to use anymore, make them an offer.

It's not an iron-in wax Rob, it's a wipe-on liquid.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, I have liquid fluoro race wax. It is designed to be used in a similar way to Zardoz but is available in several temperature ranges, not just universal.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spyderjon, Ive looked at my retailers on line shop wink and dont see Zardoz listed - has it all gone?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
@spyderjon, Ive looked at my retailers on line shop wink and dont see Zardoz listed - has it all gone?

There was some this AM, but not any more......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boredsurfin, if you snooze you lose wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
albob wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

There was some this AM, but not any more......

I briefly took it offline as I'd had a rush on them and didn't want to oversell etc plus I wanted to give myself chance to double check my stock - and luckily I had another box of each.

It's now back on my website but as I write this I now only have 11no, pucks, 4no. puck refills and 3no. Mini Shop Kits which will all go quickly so get a wiggle on: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/wax-zardoz/results,13-32

The Mini Shop Kit, although initially pricey, is the best value for money as the 113g bottle is equivalent to 7.5 puck/refill size bottles but only costs about 6 times the price. And you can use it to top-up the puck/refill bottles etc when travelling.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, Very Happy
Excellent service, arrived today, thanks again.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 30-10-23 18:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon could you please put a 3rd puck in our parcel please?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@spyderjon, Can you put me a couple of refill packs to one side if you have any left. I'll pick them up next time I'm over. Thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Linds wrote:
@spyderjon could you please put a 3rd puck in our parcel please?

Done
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:
@spyderjon, Can you put me a couple of refill packs to one side if you have any left. I'll pick them up next time I'm over. Thanks.

Already had done matey.
ski holidays
Thanks for the heads up, just bought one of your Mini Shop Kits.
latest report
bug, missed it
ski holidays
Now sold out.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, One of the Norwegian women racers in today's World Cup Giant Slalom today fell foul of the new fluorinated wax ban and was disqualified:

Norway’s Ragnhild Mowinckel left the finish area of the season-opening women’s World Cup race in tears Saturday after becoming the first skier to be disqualified for a forbidden type of wax on her skis. Mowinckel, a two-time Olympic silver medalist from the 2018 Pyeongchang Games, had finished the first leg in sixth place before her skis failed the mandatory post-run test by FIS officials, who took her out of the competition.

A rule in effect this season forbids the use of fluorinated wax in the pre-race preparation of skis. FIS banned the substance from its competitions after years of debate about the potential harm fluorinated wax can cause to health and the environment.

“We must find out what happened. We are not trying to cheat, because that is the worst thing for me,” Mowinckel told Norwegian broadcaster TV 2.

The decision left Mowinckel’s equipment supplier Head in disbelief.

“The worst case has happened. We have absolutely no explanation,” Head race director Rainer Salzgeber said.
latest report
Spyderjon, is there an alternative product you may have heard about being produced?

If not, there's an opportunity for some entrepreneurial type and a chemist.
snow report
I'm pretty sure that other ways exist to get liver damage, thyroid disease, decreased fertility, high cholesterol, obesity, hormone suppression, and cancer are available to those who feel the need.

https://skifederation.org/everything-you-need-to-know-about-fiss-recent-ban-on-fluorinated-waxes/
ski holidays
Eh? What on earth are you on about, I said 'ALTERNATIVE'.

There must be alternative ways to make a slippery substance other than using fluorinated wax.
latest report
@king key, hydrocarbon waxes
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Indeed, sort of missing what I was getting at, an alternative to Zardoz being that's what the thread is about.
latest report
Of course the really old traditional 'dope' used in longboard races is now in very short supply as one traditional ingredient whale spermaceti is (thankfully) no longer available. https://vault.si.com/vault/1995/03/20/the-dope-on-longboards-in-19th-century-big-ski-racing-now-enjoying-a-revival-it-was-all-in-the-wax
snow report
king key wrote:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Indeed, sort of missing what I was getting at, an alternative to Zardoz being that's what the thread is about.

Well if you're looking for a liquid that could be used perhaps liquid paraffin would help to get the skis moving faster ( be careful not to ingest it or your digestive system will be moving faster too... Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
I'm no chemist, but with the demise of Zardoz you'd think someone would be producing a liquid that's an environmentally friendly version with more or less the same characteristics. Puzzled
ski holidays
king key wrote:
I'm no chemist, but with the demise of Zardoz you'd think someone would be producing a liquid that's an environmentally friendly version with more or less the same characteristics. Puzzled

I'm no chemist either, but I rather suspect that if anyone had found a suitable alternative this thread would have been about Zardoz's new formulation or competitor.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That occurred to me but maybe they just haven't found the ideal substitute yet. Question
ski holidays
phil_w wrote:
I'm pretty sure that other ways exist to get liver damage, thyroid disease, decreased fertility, high cholesterol, obesity, hormone suppression, and cancer are available to those who feel the need.

https://skifederation.org/everything-you-need-to-know-about-fiss-recent-ban-on-fluorinated-waxes/

Yes, but you have to give it to Spyderjon, he truely did a great job turning his toxic waste into money.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, Very Happy
Excellent service, arrived today, thanks again.
latest report
@boredsurfin, indeed. Thank you spyderjon.
ski holidays
Given that "The process of waxing skis with fluorinated waxes is extremely harmful to the person applying the wax" I think I'm glad I missed this offer. Puzzled
latest report
@ecureuil, that is with reference to ski technicians who are regularly applying hot fluorinated wax to skis where the high temperature means that vapour from the hot wax could potentially be inhaled. The Zardoz is a room temperature liquid.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, agree ski techs applying hot wax multiple times will have a much greater exposure. But absorbing PFAS in liquids through skin contact is just as bad for you. So if this product does contain PFAS (which I am not entirely sure about, though it seems likely) it is probably best to use something like nitrile gloves when applying it.
snow conditions
@ecureuil, You unscrew the top and apply it from a puck, which is hard on the outside. If you're paying attention, it never comes into contact with your skin, but if you were concerned (or it's a bit cold out), you can leave your ski gloves on. That said, probably best not to lick it.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Keep it well away from ski gloves.......I got Zardoz on my Oakley Prizm lenses from my ski glove, presumably got on there from when I was carrying the skis, smeared the lens when I was trying to adjust the face fit etc, and wouldn't come off just smeared worse - had to buy a replacement, expensive error! rolling eyes
snow report
@Markymark29, probably best not to do that then! FWIW, I haven't used Zardoz for a while, but when I have, it's always been to combat slushy afternoon slop, and is therefore applied during a break and skied immediately. It's gone by the end of the day, which I suppose is part of the problem Confused
ski holidays
@Scarlet, Ha yes, my fault entirely! Laughing
ski holidays
I’ve got about a third of a block of F4 still, let’s start the bidding at 5 beers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy