Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I am thinking of getting REAR ENTRY boots? Thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!!! I have been a skier my entire life. I am 49. The last 15 years or so what keeps me from wanting to go skiing is the dreaded experience of putting on my ski boots. It makes me just not want to go. Once they are on, they are for the most part ok, but I have enormous calves which add to this entire nightmare. I remember when I was young just slipping into a pair of rear entry boots. As I get older, I will only ski on groomers. I am just a cruiser and will do the blues all day long. I am thinking about just getting a pair of these boots. I just want easy……since I am just an intermediate groomer kind of guy it should be fine. I don’t want to lose my love for this sport because of my boots. It kept me off the trails yesterday with my kids. Thoughts ????????

https://www.levelninesports.com/product/alpina-r4-0-rear-entry-ski-boots-2023
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why wouldn’t you? Not a huge cost if they don’t suit..but they may be everything you want. In that case..bargain! Especially given you aim to cruise. My partner had rear entry boots when I first started skiing with him. After 10 years he changed to “normal” boots. The only notable difference was the MAJOR increase in pfaff in the boot room..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you mean by this

“The only notable difference was the MAJOR increase in pfaff in the boot room..”
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pfaff or Faff , Verb . to constantly adjust and re adjust with no discernible difference to the performance of the equipment or user. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think a lot of skiers secretly want to have a go at rear entry.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Hello!!! I have been a skier my entire life.

I find that difficult to believe
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hang11 wrote:

Nope
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Suburbandad, if the kerfuffle of putting on your current boots is keeping you away from skiing (as seems to be the case) what have got to lose? If you know from experience all standard entry ski boots are likely to be problematic, rear entry boots have got to be worth a shot. However, if you have a bit more budget you might want to look at Nordica’s HF 110 boot as an option as well. They are also rear entry and I’ve seen several good reviews about the Nordicas. Just go on YouTube and you’ll find plenty of commentary and none of it, from what I can make out, is negative and seems well suited to the kind of skiiing you have in mind.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Suburbandad, also you might be interested in this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137660
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hang11 wrote:

You need to be on the Swiss Tony thread.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Suburbandad, I have just bought a pair of Nordica 110HF boots https://www.nordica.com/global/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf . I have a good pair of Atomic Hawx boots (cant remember the exact model number) which were properly fitted & heat moulded to my feet. I bought them 5 or 6 years ago. When I was skiing they were perfect no issues at all. However they were becoming more & more difficult to put on and (especially) take off. The first season after the enforced break it was pretty impossible, the last occasion it took 30 painful minutes to take them off. It was clear this was not sustainable. I suspect as I have got older (I am a good bit older than you) my ankles have expanded slightly (maybe arthritis) and are less flexible.

Last year I left the boots at home and decided to hire, I explained the issue to the hire shop staff and they produced a pair of Nordica HF110s. I repeated this on all my trips last year. They fitted perfectly, no issues getting them on & off and they are easy to walk in. Maybe they are a bit softer than I would ideally like and I can see that some people would have issues with their heal lifting. However they were absolutely fine for skiing. I guess I dont ski as aggressively as I used to but I was in the Arlberg and as usual skied various blacks and ski routes with no issues. I did look at buying a pair of HF120 boots, which are somewhat stiffer, but they are not easy to find and was reluctant to buy from the internet without trying them on. The HF110 were a bit cheaper and were in stock at a local shop (we have a huge choice of shops here) so bought there. Trying on was a breeze, I was pretty sure I knew my size and indeed they fitted perfectly. I had planned to try them out last weekend but unfortunately was ill but no reason to suppose they wont be good.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 16-12-23 9:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hang11 wrote:

…said the actress to the bishop.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great that they still make rear entry boots. They were superb at the time and much easier than overlap boots. They also had other advantages in the 1980s not least that they were much lighter and more durable. However overlap boots have now been further developed and are much better than they used to be though still very heavy and difficult to walk in.
From rear entry boots i went down the line of telemark boots which are comfortable but even more faffier than overlap alpine boots.
The snowboarders will no doubt be laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
The snowboarders will no doubt be laughing Laughing

Most of my snowboarding these days is done in Atomic Backlands, which are more comfortable than any of my regular snowboard boots.

But as a snowboarder, and even though I like riding in fruit boots, I have no interest in rear entry.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Those Nordicas look good. My first boots in 1989 where SX61s and they were great.
snow report
For the OP, a link to HF

https://www.levelninesports.com/product/nordica-hf-100-ski-boots-2024

I struggled to get my boots on until I watched this -- it works !!

http://youtube.com/v/GRE6qtCRtNU&ab_channel=PatriotFootbeds
snow conditions
Rearentry boots are for fat and old skiers who can't bend down and get their boots on.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Rearentry boots are for fat and old skiers who can't bend down and get their boots on.

So how are yours treating you?
ski holidays
I had one pair of boots (fitted Au Vieux Campeur in Albertville) which I could get on OK, but just could not get off. Nightmare at the end of a long day. Had to ditch them.
ski holidays
Mr Blue Sky wrote:
@Suburbandad, if the kerfuffle of putting on your current boots is keeping you away from skiing (as seems to be the case) what have got to lose? If you know from experience all standard entry ski boots are likely to be problematic, rear entry boots have got to be worth a shot. However, if you have a bit more budget you might want to look at Nordica’s HF 110 boot as an option as well. They are also rear entry and I’ve seen several good reviews about the Nordicas. Just go on YouTube and you’ll find plenty of commentary and none of it, from what I can make out, is negative and seems well suited to the kind of skiiing you have in mind.

Thanks!! I am looking now. At 49 these will be the last pair of boots i buy so I am not worried about budget!!
latest report
Suburbandad wrote:

At 49 these will be the last pair of boots i buy so I am not worried about budget!!

Unless you intend giving up skiing in your mid 60s, I suspect they may not be your last pair.....but it's time enough to worry about that later. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

At 49 these will be the last pair of boots i buy so I am not worried about budget!!

Boots do last a fair bit of time, but the longest I ever got a pair of boots to last for was 18 years with most only lasting 10. I think you will need at least 1 and probably 2 pairs in the future.

Rear entry boots suited some people but for most it was very difficult to get a good fit which is why they disappeared The last pair I tried on I could actually pull my feet out of them even when done up as tight as possible. Hopefully, the recent ones fit a bit better.

If they fit your feet go for them.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

I can totally bend down - and I am not fat. I just have a hard time and it's stressful and taking away from the joy!!! So, I hope your shameful post makes you feel better about yourself. Nothing wrong with wanting a rear entry boot as I am older and only ski when conditions are optimal and I can cruise!
snow report
Last pair of boots at 49??!! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow report
Dashed wrote:
Last pair of boots at 49??!! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
Must be thinking of stopping at the big Five 0.
ski holidays
Suburbandad wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

I can totally bend down - and I am not fat. I just have a hard time and it's stressful and taking away from the joy!!! So, I hope your shameful post makes you feel better about yourself. Nothing wrong with wanting a rear entry boot as I am older and only ski when conditions are optimal and I can cruise!

49 is not old - but it is wise - fashion/trends and what the yoof think becomes irrelevant
snow report
Suburbandad wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

49 is not old - but it is wise - fashion/trends and what the yoof think becomes irrelevant
snow report
“These will see me out!”

At 49?! Jeezus Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Boots do last a fair bit of time, but the longest I ever got a pair of boots to last for was 18 years with most only lasting 10. I think you will need at least 1 and probably 2 pairs in the future.

Can't be doing much skiing then
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
@Suburbandad, I have just bought a pair of Nordica 110HF boots https://www.nordica.com/global/en/men/boots/medium-wide-102mm-2/hf . I have a good pair of Atomic Hawx boots (cant remember the exact model number) which were properly fitted & heat moulded to my feet. I bought them 5 or 6 years ago. When I was skiing they were perfect no issues at all. However they were becoming more & more difficult to put on and (especially) take off. The first season after the enforced break it was pretty impossible, the last occasion it took 30 painful minutes to take them off. It was clear this was not sustainable. I suspect as I have got older (I am a good bit older than you) my ankles have expanded slightly (maybe arthritis) and are less flexible.

Last year I left the boots at home and decided to hire, I explained the issue to the hire shop staff and they produced a pair of Nordica HF110s. I repeated this on all my trips last year. They fitted perfectly, no issues getting them on & off and they are easy to walk in. Maybe they are a bit softer than I would ideally like and I can see that some people would have issues with their heal lifting. However they were absolutely fine for skiing. I guess I dont ski as aggressively as I used to but I was in the Arlberg and as usual skied various blacks and ski routes with no issues. I did look at buying a pair of HF120 boots, which are somewhat stiffer, but they are not easy to find and was reluctant to buy from the internet without trying them on. The HF110 were a bit cheaper and were in stock at a local shop (we have a huge choice of shops here) so bought there. Trying on was a breeze, I was pretty sure I knew my size and indeed they fitted perfectly. I had planned to try them out last weekend but unfortunately was ill but no reason to suppose they wont be good.

I have a pair of 5 or 6 year old Hawx too, they can be so bad to take off that I always have to go to the Apres bar with underfloor heating for a beer to soften the plastic enough to make removal easier. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I have a pair of 5 or 6 year old Hawx too, they can be so bad to take off that I always have to go to the Apres bar with underfloor heating for a beer to soften the plastic enough to make removal easier. Toofy Grin

I've heard some excuses in my time, but that is up there with "the dog ate my homework"
latest report
@Chris_n, That is a novel approach, I never gave that a try, though have spent too much time drinking beer in them! The Nordicas are so much more comfortable & practical (walking is very easy) that I cant see any reason to change. I can see they are not for folk who need a very firm boot or who ski aggressively, race etc but for 90% of skiers they would be perfect.
latest report
@Suburbandad, We started using the new Nordica model boots for Rentals last season. They were so popular that we've doubled the stock this year. Plus my huge calved Rugby playing younger son loved them so much he bought some.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
For the OP, a link to HF

Don't forget the other half of the equation, easy way to take your boots off, this was an eye opener for me.

http://youtube.com/v/LsWYTEVcPA4
ski holidays
@luanb, Yep -- basically, stand up -whether taking boots off or putting them on !!
latest report
@albob, I am invariably the only person in a boot room standing up to put boots on and take them off. It always surprises me, but then I find it easy to touch my toes (lots of Pilates>flexible hamstrings) and perhaps many people don't find it so easy to bend over enough to get at the boots, particularly first thing in the morning?
ski holidays
.. plus I've got one of these, which also facilitates getting a boot on. https://slippinltd.com/
latest report
Good tip for putting boots on - make sure they are warm, don't leave them somewhere cold overnight!

We used to regularly go to the same chalet hotel, and we found the boiler room where all the staff left their boots, and snuck ours in their as well. At work we have a Heath Robinson style system of string and ledges above a convector heater to suspend the boots upside down before you put them on to teach - such bliss to slide your foot into a warm, flexible ski boot!
snow report
@karin, I never travel without a pair of boot dryers/warmers
https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/accessories/warmers-and-dryers/sidas-drywarmer-neo-usb-boot-dryer__847
snow report
albob wrote:
For the OP, a link to HF

Cheers for that, just got a new pair (Nordica Speedmachine 130), great fit but an absolute ***** to put on. Tongues are Velcro secured so keep coming out if they're tugged on too hard. Will give this a try
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy