Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Just a heads up that the first Ski Sunday of this season will be shown on BBC2 at 17:15, with coverage of today's Men's slalom in Adelboden amongst other items.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it really worth watching anymore if your particularly interested in the racing with the minimal amounts of time dedicated to it, compared to such important issues as diversity and cheap to televise viewers videos.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 7-01-24 15:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I would’ve missed it if you hadn’t posted Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Diversity in snowsports? God forbid! Riff raf on the slopes is the last thing we want to encourage, old chap!" said @ster from the doorstep of his (her) £2m alpine chalet... Toofy Grin

I've really enjoyed some of the articles on the diversification of snowsports - there's been some heartwarming stuff that's illustrated that the mountains can be welcoming and accessible to all. Only right too.

Thanks for the tip off re this afternoon Smile @Alastair Pink.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find the time trial format of ski racing tedious after the first couple of runs yes the racers are all going for it but it’s a turn off for me just my view of course and I exercise my right to my views by hitting the off button especially when the commentary make critical remarks about a racer doing badly getting it all wrong etc right up until they cross the line in first place!
Now skier cross and boarder cross are much more interesting shame they don’t get the airtime(!) they deserve
Diversity of disciplines would be nice too
Except curling Curling should be barred from all tv at once!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ster, thats a bit like watching MoTD expecting to see the match. It’s a highlights show + interest stories. There is PLENTY of racing on Eurosport with English commentary.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking forward to it, although I'm with @snowornever - racing is pretty boring. It's the features that are most interesting. My understanding is that this year (to reduce costs) it will be Chemmy and Ed doing all the features (i.e. no screen time for Tim Warwood, Jenny Jones, Aimee Fuller etc)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski Sunday was essential viewing in our house as kids - went hand in hand with enforced reading of the then Sunday Times bible 'We learned to ski'

Still love watching the racing highlights, especially the slalom; find the woke snowboarding interruptions tedious tbf . . . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, the annual Ski Sunday debate
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, yep, same annual thread where people complain about too much or not enough racing/freestyle/big mountain/features/disability/women/men/short people/tall people/rich people/poor people/skiing/snowboarding etc. etc.

@Alastair Pink, thanks for the heads up, hadn't realised it was back.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can I throw in not showing any Biathlon Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I only watch it to see how Dave (Rocket) Ryding is getting on. He lives down the road from me in the next Lancashire village and besides his grandad used to service our skis so I'm very interested in how he gets on. These days I follow The 50 series aka Cody Townsend I find this more interesting and love the Freeride vibe.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did Ed Leigh just say there was a 26m base at Mammoth Mountain in April???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iainm wrote:

Yep -- although sub-titles said 26 metres of BASS !!!

He also said -- "last winter in Europe was an absolute bust, the first time I've seen it, where there was no snow in any areas the Alps or Scandinavia..." !?!?!?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
albob wrote:
iainm wrote:

Yep -- although sub-titles said 26 metres of BASS !!!

He also said -- "last winter in Europe was an absolute bust, the first time I've seen it, where there was no snow in any areas the Alps or Scandinavia..." !?!?!?

I picked up on that too - what an absolute load of codswallop. BBC pushing their climate aganda viewpoint. I was skiing mid December in VT and in April in Montgenevre and both had lots of snow. Maybe I was lucky.
ski holidays
Same as Belch above, Ski Sunday was always essential viewing for me and my dad in the 70’s and 80’s - and the nearest we’d been to skiing was a summer holiday in Wengen when I was about 12! It was another 10 years before I actually skied and my dad never did.

I’d like to see a bit less diversity in what snow sports they show, just the proper stuff for me - against the clock as it should be. Keep the judging for Strictly etc.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, I hardly have the background of an archetypal skier, I think I full well know what diversity is and looks like without being "told", nor do I need or want it shoved down my throat by the BBC in what used to be a show about snow sports. And I dont recall equating diversity with riff raff so I am not sure where you got that from. (Of course, £2m wouldn't even buy you a shack, let alone a decent chalet!)

@Nadenoodlee, as I was intimating, I wouldn't watch Ski Sunday for any real perspective on the racing. Its covered there in only a shallow way now which I think is a change from Ski Sunday's heritage.
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude, called it snowHead
ski holidays
It was nice to see it back tonight and I’m looking forward to seeing the downhills next week. Felt a bit light on content this evening.
snow report
Quote:
I hardly have the background of an archetypal skier, I think I full well know what diversity is and looks like without being "told", nor do I need or want it shoved down my throat by the BBC in what used to be a show about snow sports. And I dont recall equating diversity with riff raff so I am not sure where you got that from
Christ! Shocked Clearly a misguided attempt at humour on my part rolling eyes - followed by my own views on Ski Sunday's diversity coverage, which I stand by.

I'm not sure how anything I've seen on there has "told" me, or anyone else, what diversity is. IMO they have rather highlighted the positive steps being taken to make snowsports more inclusive for all. But only my opinion of course. Others are perfectly entitled to disagree.

Nevertheless, I'm sorry you took it so much to heart and for any offence caused.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 8-01-24 0:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:
I picked up on that too - what an absolute load of codswallop. BBC pushing their climate aganda viewpoint. I was skiing mid December in VT and in April in Montgenevre and both had lots of snow. Maybe I was lucky.
I don't recall Ski Sunday covering a snowless winter and must've dreamt my fantastic early season trip to Hintertux and two powder-filled trips to Tignes.

I can't believe he made that statement... rolling eyes
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, you could add that ster doesn't have a £2m chalet? 8 got the joke but has obviouslycbeen a little cryptic for some Laughing
snow report
@mountainaddict, please be assured that no offence was taken at what you said and of course you are perfectly entitled to be happy with SS’s content.

Im just a bit annoyed that many shows, in this case what was a previously a straightforward sports show , seem to now have to push a line rather than just report.
snow report
@ster, oh, I actually agree with you about ski sunday. I was just annoyed that some may not realise that you don't have a £2m chalet and aren't a privileged knob.

(Cash to the usual address please wink ) Laughing
ski holidays
@thecramps, definitely no £2m chalet, on the other charge I must defer to others’ opinions. (Its in the post Very Happy )
snow report
@albob, Badly phrased I think - my interpretation was how much (little) snow there was in lots of places at this sort of time last year
ski holidays
The guest mentioned the 8% decline in snow depths, decade on decade.
https://tc.copernicus.org/articles/15/1343/2021/tc-15-1343-2021-discussion.html

Seems like it went down like a lead balloon.

Perhaps I’m alone on Snowheads, in that I fully accept the science (and I’m gutted about the effects …. it’ll affect my offspring more than me) and I don’t mind experts mentioning it over winter sports media.
latest report
Agent Orange wrote:
Felt a bit light on content this evening.

+1

schnitzel_skier wrote:
@albob, Badly phrased I think - my interpretation was how much (little) snow there was in lots of places at this sort of time last year

This is where I got to as well..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@iainm, Mammoth did indeed go deep last year - Officially 721 inches of snow fell last season from December to May, which isn't 23m, its 18 and a bit, but they did get over 900 inches up top, which isn't far off 23m... ok snowfall isn't base, but then it is Eddie, and SS comes out of the BBC sports budget, not their Factual Programming budget.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 8-01-24 10:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Cheers @ster Smile
snow conditions
Just dropped into this thread to say that we found ourselves in the same lift queue as Chemmy and her childrens' training camp in La Thuile just before Christmas. We asked her whether she knew if we could ski all the way down to the village, given the conditions. She said 'yes darling, it will be challenging but fun!' She was very friendly. So I'm tuning in again this season. snowHead
snow report
I do/will continue to watch Ski Sunday, even if it's only to remind me that I should be out there and helping to fill Admin's excellent trips.

Given what seems to be shorter and shorter programs (perhaps just my perception), I'd be happy to leave out the diversity stuff. However, I do think they should be talking more about the European ski climate issues that face us all. In the pre-race interviews (just before they had a dump) you could clearly see the only snow around was from the canons. This is going to be an increasing problem, and something that needs thinking about if future generations want the same enjoyment of skiing we've had.
snow report
What 'Diversity' elements were in the show last night? There's a sit-skier in the titles now I suppose... was that it?
snow report
Christmas 2016 hardly any snow coverage in La Plagne. Christmas 2017 knee deep powder. Some years it snows early, some years it doesn't, but it always snows!
45 years ago when I started skiing there were only a handful of resorts in the brochures that were marked 'Christmas snow sure'. We watched ski Sunday to see if the SCGB snow resorts were right! Most Brochures had skiing packages starting mid January. Today (are there still brochures?) all medium to large resorts open for Christmas week at the latest.
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, afaik climate change means that "weather events" will be accentuated and more frequent.

And that generally over all there will be a little less snow and freezing levels a little higher.

But yes, weather is weather. And we have a lot more snow making now.

It was covered briefly in yesterdays show during which they talked to a weather bloke about how things had started this season and what "the base" was like. The summary of which was there is an excellent base, that will be their for the season, at higher altitudes.
latest report
I watched it, I quite enjoy it, I'm happy to let the programme director / editor to decide what goes into each episode, it tends to be mainly skiing and winter sports related. snowHead

That episode last year about giraffes was pretty annoying though.
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, I think some snowheads probably consider Chemny's inclusion as a box ticking exercise Laughing
snow conditions
@Layne, yep, I believe climate change is more about trends rather than individual years. We will continue to have dry years and times when it dumps, but the swing between the two will likely be more noticeable and the trend will be towards warmer winters. This is highlighted by the continued reduction in glacier size, despite significant work to protect them.

There is an interest piece in the latest Fall Line magazine which talks about some areas covering parts of glacier in a protective white sheet to insulate the ice and reflect the sun.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, It's either that or Dave Ryding has been officially classified as a minority, though grumpy-looking British skiers who are disappointed in their performance is a curious use of the term 'Minority'. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, Chemmy has grown on me; although her mojo assisted (allegedly) skiing style disturbs me her 'perma smile' is infectious and I actually believe she has become like a fine wine and looks better with a few experience lines . . . . Ed one job snowboard geezer is smugly annoying IMO - bring back David Vine
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy