Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lessons cancelled ruined holiday. Anyone know Insurance rights?

Poster: A snowHead
Wondering if anyone knows whether I have any right to claim on my insurance for the following:

We’ve independent booked flights and airb&b. Two non skiers in our group of 4. We had private ski sessions hooked for a non-skiers every day. We’ve arrived to find our ski lessons have been cancelled as the instructor is injured. It’s the busiest week of the year and we can’t arrange any replacement lessons so basically the holiday is ruined for two of us. Do we have any rights to claim on the insurance?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Read the small print, but almost certainly not.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where were you?

I presume you got a full refund??....was there no other ski schools??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very unlikely.
1. read your insurance policy terms just in case. but all that will be is small sum of money and doesn't actually help now.
2. what is your agreement with the ski school / instructor - is there any redress under that - again unlikely, refund is the only likely redress
3. speak nicely and calmly to the ski school to see how they can rescue the situation.
- do they have any occasional instructors they can call on.
- are they group lessons the 2 beginners can join instead (and refund the difference)
- can another ski school in whichever resort you are in do either of the above.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Flipjango, commiserations on your bad luck. It depends entirely on the details of your insurance policy. I doubt it would be a reason most insurance companies would accept as justification for reimbursement of travel and accommodation costs though, if that’s what you’re implying.

Which ski resort are you in?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hope the instructor wasn't badly injured.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PeakyB wrote:
@Flipjango, commiserations on your bad luck. It depends entirely on the details of your insurance policy. I doubt it would be a reason most insurance companies would accept as justification for reimbursement of travel and accommodation costs though, if that’s what you’re implying.

Which ski resort are you in?

Judging by other recent posts I believe the OP is in Megeve.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Assuming you got a full refund, then I suspect travel insurance is irrelevant. Small print of the ski school contract more important. But I can well understand your disappointment - and I would hope that a ski school could rake up another instructor from somewhere, even in such a busy week. Was that ESF or one of the others? BASS?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with @Origen, this is a matter of the contract you established with the ski school when you booked.

But the priority is to rescue the situation for the beginners who need lessons. As others have said, if the original booking was with one of the big ski schools who also run classes you should press them to accept a couple of extras. If it was a small operation (or a private instructor working on their own) then lean hard on them to use their contacts to find a substitute. They are likely to know a lot of other instructors, and be used to referring clients they can't teach themselves on the basis of tit-for-tat.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We’re in Megeve. As we’re only here for 3 days, there are no group lessons we can join and we can’t find any other privates with availability. Whilst we got a refund for the lessons, the lift passes alone are several hundred pounds plus a couple of hundred more for the ski gear we’ve rented and can’t use. The flights and accommodation are actually probably the cheapest bit of the holiday. It’s all quite depressing. Whilst I’m sympathetic that people get injured, it’s really ruined the holiday as there’s really b*gger all to do here except ski unless you like shopping.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had fun on the nursery slopes teaching a mate who was an absolute beginner how to snowplough for a day?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flipjango wrote:
... as there’s really b*gger all to do here except ski unless you like shopping.

There is a good sports centre.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Flipjango, probably clutching at straws here…but wonder if the ski schools in nearby towns might any private instructor availability?
Combloux, Praz sur Arly, St Gervais les Bains?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Flipjango, the source I’ve referred to on your other thread (about restaurants in Megeve) also has a guide of things to do for non-skiers in the area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really difficult, when you're in an unfamiliar resort and don't know your way around. Certainly worth trying a different resort, though parking will be busy. If you have EMB passes Les Contamines or St Gervais would obviously be a better bet than Praz sur Arly, which is in a different ski domain. It's very bad that the ski school didn't let you know sooner, unless the injury has only just happened. Which school is it?
snow report
@Origen freedom snow sports. We got really dismissive mail just saying ‘sorry, he’s hurt his knee we don’t have anyone else. Here’s your money back.’

Thanks for the efforts to help with other suggestions. We’ve been trying to self teach but it’s pretty miserable to be honest especially as the nursery slopes are very icy this week, and it’s kind of miserable for the others too as they aren’t getting to do much themselves. Driving to another resort won’t work as the car is too small and we don’t have a ski rack.
ski holidays
@Flipjango, I was wondering whether, if any instructors in very nearby areas had availability, would they come to you in Megeve? It’s a long shot though, given it’s such a peak week.
snow conditions
@Flipjango, 5 instructors available over the next couple of days via Maison Sport. Check out the website and see if you can find yourself something suitable.

https://maisonsport.com/en
snow conditions
@Flipjango, perhaps a chat with the local office of tourism may get at least something with their contacts.

Also alert them to your predicament and behavior, impact etc of the service offered then retracted by that provider.
latest report
Also go into ESF office personally to explain what you've now got in regards to no provision and see if there's anything they may be able to help with.
snow report
All good suggestions. I can well believe it's a bit miserable. Hope you can sort something out and rescue your holiday!
ski holidays
@Flipjango, Have you checked all the local ESF offices? Combloux and St Gervais are separate from Megeve but you could still get to where they teach on the bus.
ski holidays
Flipjango wrote:
@Origen freedom snow sports. We got really dismissive mail just saying ‘sorry, he’s hurt his knee we don’t have anyone else. Here’s your money back.’

Thanks for the efforts to help with other suggestions. We’ve been trying to self teach but it’s pretty miserable to be honest especially as the nursery slopes are very icy this week, and it’s kind of miserable for the others too as they aren’t getting to do much themselves. Driving to another resort won’t work as the car is too small and we don’t have a ski rack.

definitely go into the office if you havent already and take it up in person, they may, despite being french, be more minded to sort it out if you're stood in front of them, than just over email. they have taken the easy way out. even if they can give you some instruction time around other commitments etc it would surely help rescue your holiday.
latest report
Having been reading Snowheads for many years I don't ever remember somebody just having their ski lessons cancelled at the last minute, in this way. It's very bad luck, though there are plenty of complaints when people leave it till the last minute to book then can't get what they want!

Talking to those suggested, including the tourist office, is a good idea but going into it thinking that, as @t44tomo suggests, any positive response would be surprising, coming from French people, is just silly.

People contemplating a first ski holiday are sometimes advised to book a "package" where sorting out this sort of problem falls to a tour operator. There is something to be said for that!
snow report
Looks to me like Freedom Snowsports is a remote agency, not a local ski school. It appears to be a UK based company that has nothing local, and just contracts with instructors as needed. A sort of "Uber" for ski instructors.

Bummer for the OP. Bad luck for this to happen on an inaugural trip. I guess it highlights a particular risk in DIY.
ski holidays
What about the Mairie- perhaps they would be able to exert some influence
snow report
snowdave wrote:
Looks to me like Freedom Snowsports is a remote agency, not a local ski school. It appears to be a UK based company that has nothing local, and just contracts with instructors as needed. A sort of "Uber" for ski instructors.

Bummer for the OP. Bad luck for this to happen on an inaugural trip. I guess it highlights a particular risk in DIY.

Ah that explains a lot. Nightmare for the OP.

Also a warning for others that booking directly with a physical ski school, especially in busy times, carries less risk.
ski holidays
It is worth a try at the Tourist Office, since you've nothing to lose. In most places their links are with the local ESF, but since those are the biggest organisations they are the most likely to have a last minute possibility due to a client cancellation. And they might just hold a list of local independent instructors and their phone numbers.

But all you can do is phone round. We have used BASS, but it is a small operation and likely to be fully booked over half term week. Oxygene and Evolution 2 are both active in Megeve (i.e. we've seen them on the mountain) if you can find the local phone contacts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the T&C's
Quote:
All our
instructors and guides are self-employed and deliver for us under their self-employed status.

Quote:
If we cancel a lesson for whatever reason the lesson will be rearranged where possible, or exchanged for alternative lessons, or refunded (in that order). Freedom Snowsports Ltd cannot be held liable for any costs outside of the cost of the lesson(s) being cancelled.

They get a full house of 74 x 5 star reviews on google but that seems to relate to the instructors/instruction rather than anything the office have done. And nothing to suggest instructors are unreliable generally.

TBH just sounds a bit "one of those things". Doesn't help the OP I know.
ski holidays
@swskier, when I search maisonsport for our dates I can only find two teachers, and each are charging £600 for a two hour lesson which is more than we were paying for 3 x 2hour lessons in our original booking. Definitely out of budget I’m afraid.
snow report
@t44tomo, sadly none of the physical schools would take us- they either won’t teach a child and adult together, or had a minimum booking of 5 days during half term when we weren’t staying long enough.
snow report
@Origen, we couldn’t stay a week unfortunately so packages are always tricky. I can never get enough time off during school holidays except in the summer (I’m a hospital doctor and they tend to ration our holiday allowances to be fair).
snow conditions
@Flipjango, when I search for Megeve ski instructors for tomorrow to Friday i'm seeing this:

Screenshot-2024-02-13-at-18-30-37
Screenshot-2024-02-13-at-18-30-46

What dates are you looking for?
latest report
@PeakyB, its half term. Anyone with any qualification is being put to work. Its very hard to find anyone.
latest report
@Flipjango, what a shoddy deal you got. So sorry to hear thay.

I have seen multiple ‘instructors injured’ posts on the Morzine fb group so im not wholly convinced all these instructors are dropping like flies vs double bookings/ more lucrative bookings.
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, funnily enough, I’m sure I’ve seen the guy in the slopes too. I wonder if he got a better offer.
snow conditions
@swskier, I would go for Federica G out of that lot. "Solar and Empathetic" is a winning combo in my book
latest report
@swskier, we’re only looking for Wednesday and Thursday- we leave early Friday. The only person on offer when I search is £200 and hour. Our original classes were half that.
snow conditions
Freedom Snow sports are still indicating some lesson availability over the next few days. Possibly spaces in group lessons, but might be better than nothing.
snow report
@ecureuil, we can’t do group lessons as it’s a child and an adult together. They have already told us they cannot find a replacement teacher.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy