Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switching from snowboarding to ski-ing?

Poster: A snowHead
Never thought I’d be mulling this conundrum but ‘getting on a bit’ (late 40s) and just started snowboarding again after a 5-year break because of young kids etc. I won’t lie it was as a bit rough spending so much time getting down to and back up from the floor Eh oh! . I did have an ankle injury couple of years back which has left it a bit weaker so that’s not helping as well as sub-optimal fitness and some extra pounds. Anyway before I took up snowboarding, more than 20 years ago Eh oh! , I was a half decent skier with apparently good technique but lacking a bit of confidence. I now have a 5-year old in ski lessons and given the above thought I’d take a ski lesson today. I really enjoyed it! Shocker. And I felt pretty good. The instructor said body position and snow feel was really good. I stacked it a couple of times turning left as I’m used to leaning into hill on the heel edge but other than that was feeling good. So everything looking good for potentially switching to ski-ing BUT I’m so worried about getting a bad knee injury. Am I being overly cautious? Can I mitigate the injury risk somehow? Any other thoughts on how to proceed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
vera16 wrote:
I’m so worried about getting a bad knee injury. Am I being overly cautious? Can I mitigate the injury risk somehow? Any other thoughts on how to proceed.

Worrying doesn’t help. But mitigation would. Toofy Grin

1) set the DIN low (choose “type I” on the hire sheet).

2) take a couple more lessons and learn to ski with correct technique. (Don’t lean back!)

3) Get your own boot with the help of good boot fitters. A well fitted boot will control the skis better, also activate the binding release mechanism promptly.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 20-02-24 17:27; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vera16 wrote:
Any other thoughts on how to proceed.

Step On bindings for your snowboard....problem solved (said as a 48 year old, packing a few extra pounds, with a dodgy ankle who found it a pain bending down all the time for bindings). Absolute game changer.

I can't help with the skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Loads of people move over. Trust your instinct. And enjoy the change. I like you went skis to board (30 years ago). Had to have a ski earlier this month (to exit a valley) and NOOOOOOOO way! Board all the way for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well, i am glad i didnt learn to ski, otherwise i would have the same question in my mind for years after years and finally i had both boards and skis and definitely i had to sleep alone on the cough (my wife is always angry because i change board and boots and my mind every couple of years)

Well, make yoga, buy the Nidecker Bindings and keep snowboarding.
I am also 48 and still have the old rachet bindings
As long as i can see my feet i will keep them
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@turms2, you are a wise sensei! I too am your age and have old knees and old bindings. Yet would not change from a snowboard Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wiigman wrote:
@turms2, you are a wise sensei! I too am your age and have old knees and old bindings. Yet would not change from a snowboard Laughing

The Nidecker bindings look beltingly good as a "proper" binding that's also a Step In. Expensive but I'd have been really tempted to get them over my Step Ons (particularly if Burton boots didn't fit me as well as they do).

Loads of options now to keep you moving on boards.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@vera16, welcome to SH's snowHead snowHead

I think you are being over cautious tbh - unless your knees are dodgy.

Not sure setting your DIN low is necessarily the answer - just appropriately. Ski's releasing prematurely are just as likely to cause a problem as not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
vera16 wrote:
I’m so worried about getting a bad knee injury. Am I being overly cautious? Can I mitigate the injury risk somehow? Any other thoughts on how to proceed.

2) take a couple more lessons and learn to ski with correct technique. (Don’t lean back!)

3) Get your own boot with the help of good boot fitters. A well fitted boot will control the skis better, also activate the binding release mechanism promptly.

4) Build up the muscles around the knees with low impact stuff: cycling (uphill), spin bikes, squats, the "imaginary chair" exercise. I particularly like standing up/sitting on a kitchen chair smoothly on one leg (alternate left and right) because it works on your balance as well.

5) If necessary, get the gondola down to avoid the last heavy run down to the resort littered with skiers and boarders who are too tired to do that run safely.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@vera16, I think you're being overly cautious. I went to the board 8 years ago but have since returned to skiing as well.

I actually don't get the knee thing going to skis. I use mojos when skiing and so find boarding tougher on the knees and definitely the thighs too. If I stopped falling over when boarding it might help though!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don’t give up snowboarding.
I’m 47 and still giving the kids a run for their money.

Google
Nidecker supermatic bindings
Burton step in
Crew step in.

I’m using the Nidecker.
No sitting down to strap in.
Straight off the lift and go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got a few mates who moved back to skis after a couple of decades boarding.

Same rationale as yourself, bit older and was getting wearing with all that lying around on the snow.

Some of them needed a few lessons to get back into it............and one just couldnt get back into skiing so went back - again - to boarding !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gosh thanks for all the feedback! Those Nidecker bindings look so good I was hesitant to believe the hype. I had some Flows back in the day but soon ended up swapping for regular strap ins.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GreenDay wrote:
Got a few mates who moved back to skis after a couple of decades boarding.

Same rationale as yourself, bit older and was getting wearing with all that lying around on the snow.

Some of them needed a few lessons to get back into it............and one just couldnt get back into skiing so went back - again - to boarding !!

Lessons for sure. Skis are so much more technical and it is reassuring and necessary to have someone constantly correct your form i.e. lean forward!!! I stacked it into the hill twice today and was immediately told why. Invaluable. In the plus side I am used to falling over so wasn’t overly phased Eh oh! .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tsgsh wrote:
abc wrote:
vera16 wrote:

4) Build up the muscles around the knees with low impact stuff: cycling (uphill), spin bikes, squats, the "imaginary chair" exercise. I particularly like standing up/sitting on a kitchen chair smoothly on one leg (alternate left and right) because it works on your balance as well.

5) If necessary, get the gondola down to avoid the last heavy run down to the resort littered with skiers and boarders who are too tired to do that run safely.

Great advice thanks.
snow conditions
I think you are being over cautious tbh - unless your knees are dodgy [/quote]

They are not but I had a meniscus repair which took a long time to recover from so I value my functional knees Eh oh! .
ski holidays
Apologies for clearly having no idea how to format these replies.
ski holidays
I think you are being over cautious tbh - unless your knees are dodgy [/quote]

They are not but I had a meniscus repair which took a long time to recover from so I value my functional knees Eh oh! .
latest report
vera16 wrote:
Gosh thanks for all the feedback! Those Nidecker bindings look so good I was hesitant to believe the hype. I had some Flows back in the day but soon ended up swapping for regular strap ins.

The current breed of Step In bindings are different level. My Burton ones are just nuts. The feel like they've got straps. They work in powder or on piste. They genuinely live up to the hype for me.

The only negative I've heard on the Nidecker ones are they're a bit heavier than normal bindings but that's in reviews rather than people who are actually riding them.

There's definitely options to keep you boarding
ski holidays
Though what's the problem with doing both? Ski when the snow is hard, board when it's soft. It's not a betrayal.......
latest report
The Nidecker are slightly heavier but only when carrying the board. They don’t feel heavy when riding.

They don’t feel like the old flow bindings, once stepped in they feel just like regular bindings.
latest report
An advanced snowboarder friend of mine has a 6 year old learning to ski (just on a couple of holidays a year, though already getting very good). Can no longer keep up with said child when it wants to go fast (I think a tad of Proud Parent Syndrome in those claims so far, but I can see the point), so is having to try and resurrect their skiing skills.

I think it's a great thing to have abilities both forward-facing and sideways; you can pick and choose.

My knees struggle badly with boarding; skiing is pretty good unless on a strong carve. I've seen knee and leg bone injuries on both boards and skis: it's a hazard of the game.

Go on: you know you want to Laughing
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
An advanced snowboarder friend of mine has a 6 year old learning to ski (just on a couple of holidays a year, though already getting very good). Can no longer keep up with said child when it wants to go fast (I think a tad of Proud Parent Syndrome in those claims so far, but I can see the point), so is having to try and resurrect their skiing skills.

I think it's a great thing to have abilities both forward-facing and sideways; you can pick and choose.

My knees struggle badly with boarding; skiing is pretty good unless on a strong carve. I've seen knee and leg bone injuries on both boards and skis: it's a hazard of the game.

Go on: you know you want to Laughing

Advanced snowboarder unable to keep up?! Cue raised eyebrow... That six-year-old must be rapido Shocked
ski holidays
@wiigman, As I said, I suspect PPS.
But give offspring a few years...
snow report
@Grizzler, yes, quite right you said it re PPS, but still made me laugh. My midlife crisis makes me think I'd be streets ahead until they were at least... 12!
snow report
Origen wrote:
Though what's the problem with doing both? Ski when the snow is hard, board when it's soft. It's not a betrayal.......

Do you have to change part way down a long run? Very Happy
snow conditions
@tsgsh, isn't that what splitboards are for Puzzled
latest report
@tsgsh, Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find the knee thing odd. Myself and the boys are all in our late 40s and early 50s (blimey still can't believe I'm 52 soon). We all board but one used to ski plus we had 3 other skiers who really couldn't continue past early 40s as the pains in the knees was to much for them. The ex skier also had problems with his knees while skiing but not so boarding. I always have knee pads since I started but still have my ratchet bindings ( 3 pairs actually) and wouldn't be changing them for anything else.
latest report
This may be overlapping with the need to have some sport-specific exercises for the particular muscles you use when boarding. I used to be very sceptical of personal gym trainers, but I’ve had a lot of help from them recently. Whilst I was fit, it turned out that I wasn’t really working on the right muscles for skiing and Alpine hiking, and was finding both increasingly difficult. After talking to my osteopath I got a set of gym sessions from a PT and he tailored my exercises to the muscles I need to strengthen for skiing, hiking uphill and better lower back mobility. It’s worked, and I’m much better now in terms of the demands of a ski or hiking holiday. Basically, just because you’re relatively fit and exercise regularly, it doesn’t guarantee you have the right muscle development for a particular sport, and as you get older, this can become more of an issue.

I don’t say this is the root cause of your problems, and that ski/board lessons aren’t useful in themselves. But a short PT programme is perhaps something worth thinking about. I found that after about five or so one-hour PT sessions at fortnightly intervals, I had the repertoire of exercises I needed to carry on without much more 1:1 training. I go back for a couple of refresher sessions ahead of any trip.
snow conditions
I think what LaForet said is completely right; being fit and being ski (or any other specific sport) fit are potentially different things.

Some very ski specific exercise to build up the supportive muscles around the knees is likely to be helpful whether you continue on skis or revert to boarding (or do a bit of both).

I do a few of these …

Specific Ski Knee Exercises
snow report
They look like a good set, I might bookmark those! If you have kids though, I warn you that if you do the crab walk with a squat, it looks ridiculous and they will laugh at you.
ski holidays
Learning to strap in standing up makes a huge difference. I’m mid 50’s ride a lot and never have back issues despite being tall. Just gotta lose the gut and do some stretches.

I also ride fruit boots on a couple of my boards and they are super easy to lock in, although not the reason I use them. Some fruit boots will work for skiing too if you use touring bindings. I’ve skied my phantoms a few times. Felt dirty doing it.
ski holidays
Was looking for a definition of fruit boots, this is what I found;

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fruit%20boots
snow conditions
@Gainz, ski touring boots, used for snowboarding - they work great
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy