Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best time to book a package for two people, taking into account choice and value for money.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you were booking a package through a tour operator for two people, for a relatively "quiet" week outside of school holidays etc, but wanted flights from a local airport outside London, and some choice of accommodation ie hotel and room choice in a short list of say 3 or 4 resorts, when do you think that the best time to book is in terms of price?

Since the loss of most of the chalets, I've found the days of super-bargains have pretty much gone, as the business model of the TOs has changed.

Leaving it too late limits flights to being from London, which is a PITA and often means that any savings that we make are lost on paying for accommodation and travel to get there.

I think it's about 4-6 weeks prior to the date of travel, what do others think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
People have mentioned early booking discounts but I can't imagine ever booking a holiday a year in advance! Last minute bargains exist, but you can't be picky.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep an eye on Crystal Ski for their deals - I think their sale is towards the end of August (from memory, but just keep an eye on them), and I've had some really good deals then (often with lift pass deals). As a couple who wants a reasonable choice and a specific airport, I find that last minute deals can be really limited so we often commit in that end of summer sale.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did two really good last minute deals when there was just the two of us (kids grown up). But last minute was 4 or 5 days before. Both were "accommodation only" in catered chalets - one being the Le Ski chalet in Courchevel 1650 which was excellent, and a cut above the cheap ones we'd always been to with the kids. Though they were all perfectly acceptable, for what we were paying!. Both our last minute deals were "accommodation only". On one occasion we went by train, the other we drove.

Actually the Le Ski one didn't turn out to be very cheap. I'd taken the following week off work so we could have a meander back. Was beautiful sunny January weather so we called in on impulse at Crest Voland (I saw the sign for it, driving back through the Arly Valley) and stayed in a French hotel for a few days skiing - and ended up buying an apartment in Les Saisies!

I really like the idea of just having a bit of a wander, not being tied down to pre-booked anything, and that was a great example. When driving to and from the Alps, not on peak dates, we never booked accommodation - not knowing when we'd feel like stopping. Easier to be so casual just with a couple of adults - not so good with kids, obviously. But I've never booked anything a year in advance, even when we did have 3 young kids. With skiing, especially now, I'd always want to be flexible about destination until quite late on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SLB79 wrote:
Keep an eye on Crystal Ski for their deals - I think their sale is towards the end of August (from memory, but just keep an eye on them), and I've had some really good deals then (often with lift pass deals). As a couple who wants a reasonable choice and a specific airport, I find that last minute deals can be really limited so we often commit in that end of summer sale.

I booked a Crystal hol in La Tania for this Jan on BH Monday Aug last year. it was about £180 pp cheaper than the price on the Sunday and Tuesday. I look a lot (according to my husband I'm obsessed!) and at different times of the year and booking early, so now or by Sept, seems to be better price wise. I have also noticed that the offers on lift passes, equipment hire etc. ususally mean a hike in accommodation cost so the 'offers' are not that great in reality.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have a week already booked for next year Very Happy
We were after a particular hotel and room types.
Price came out cheaper than this years trip by £3 rolling eyes
I wouldn't normally book so soon but we also wanted a extra single room at the same place.
The second and third weeks January all the TO rooms are now gone for the particular hotel.
If your looking at Crystal especially they seem to be using a dynamic pricing model now?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to go with Crystal as it's ususally one of the cheapest and the husband won't fly on a Sunday, if he did then I'd be waiting for the Mark Warner Jan sale. The hotel I want has just come down by £50 each making next years holiday the same cost as this Jan's but do I hold out, it's for the third week in Jan.......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
melbouch wrote:
SLB79 wrote:

I booked a Crystal hol in La Tania for this Jan on BH Monday Aug last year. it was about £180 pp cheaper than the price on the Sunday and Tuesday. I look a lot (according to my husband I'm obsessed!) and at different times of the year and booking early, so now or by Sept, seems to be better price wise. I have also noticed that the offers on lift passes, equipment hire etc. ususally mean a hike in accommodation cost so the 'offers' are not that great in reality.

I agree. Prices were definitely better in the January sales on Crystal than they are now. The downside of that is that I'd be booking without knowing what the snow conditions are.

As it is, I booked to go to Ischgl on Monday after seeing the snowfall there. Since booking the holiday has disappeared from Crystal website for the week that we're going, so leaving it any later would probably mean not being able to go there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I book relatively high and keep everything crossed!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy