Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Autoroute Closures

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know when the French Autoroute closures are likely to end? I believe it's Farmers demonstrating - again (the paysants are revolting)?

Google Maps is showing many Autoroutes closed today.

Quite painful if you are driving to the Alps in the near future.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or driving back, like we are tomorrow! Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sfellows, I’m trying work out if they continue tomorrow and Sunday some say they won’t others say they will you won’t know it till midmorning .
I’ve joined a Tarentaise roads Facebook group and it is very chaotic with loads of posts asking what certain roads are like trying to make sense of it as I’m driving down Sunday . but it seems the main targets have been the tolls .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yikes - just looked at the map and it looks horrendous. Really hope everyone can go/get home without too much of a diversion
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We just received an email from our transfer company warning/advising to expect delays tomorrow. We are flying into Grenoble. The email is generic and I can’t find any specific info to say our route to LDA will be affected.
I’m not going to worry too much about it as nothing we can do anyway.
On Sunday we’ll be skiing so happy days
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They only block motorways afaik - and sometimes merely open the tollbooth gates... win! Just saying.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm currently sitting here with good friends who are a small Tour OP and tomorrow is one of their very busy weeks and they are expecting carnage and nothing they can do about it all!

We were saying it's on a par with Snowmagadon except this is Farmergeddon!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its not just the autoroutes, on the N roads from Geneva, one transfer driver came upon a pile of carrots in the road today. Most of the reports I have seen suggest that there is a bit of a truce this weekend with stuff planned for Monday. But it only takes one strategically placed load of manure to cause smelly carnage.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yellow jackets have now announced that they will be blocking routes to the ski stations
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yellow jackets have now announced that they will be blocking routes to the ski stations

Well you would, wouldn't you, if you wanted to have maximum impact? Miserable for anyone travelling.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latest
TRAFFIC INFO (valid until around 11h) ⤵️

Due to the social movement, traffic is cut in both directions on the A43, at the level of the Chignin toll, on the Albertville-Grenoble-Chambéry axes.

Eh oh! Sens Chambéry - Grenoble, A 43 mandatory exit n°20 (Saint-Baldoph, Challes-les-Eaux), diversion by Médipôle then Challes-es-Eaux and Montmélian (RD 5 and RD 9 and RD 1006)

Eh oh! Direction Grenoble - Chambéry, A 41 South mandatory exit n°22 (Pontcharra) and entrance towards Chambéry prohibited, detour by Chapareillan then Porte-de-Savoie and Challes-les-Eaux (RD 1090 and RD 1006)

Eh oh! Direction Albertville - Chambéry, A 43 mandatory exit n°21 (Chignin) and entrance towards Chambéry prohibited, detour by Francin and Challes-les-Eaux (RD 1006)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Currently the Ilse d'Abeau out of Lyon is blocked and Chambery Chigni snowHead n. Can route around on the back roads.

The back road from Amberieu is blocked.

Coming from the UK it is possible to drive to the Alps with no blocks via Reims, A39, Bourg en Bresse then Annecy, Albertville.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rob Mackley, not yellow jackets, farmers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/Realtime-traffic-information.htm?fbclid=IwAR3Vh2CvCHV76b2cPQ3xTNCB43cCCH_nUMkmgfyiN898fgtkNJtDodj_6js
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was driving back from Zermatt on Wednesday. I had made really good time until about an hour and a half before the Tunnel. The farmers had all the motorway approaches blocked. The route I had to take was a nightmare. Thank goodness for Google maps - my car sat nav was in tears. I was also fortunate that it was still light. I would not have wanted to be weaving through those north west France country roads in the dark.
latest report
According to one of the main organisers of the demonstrations the motorways should all be reopen by midday today as detailed by France24

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20240126-french-farmers-block-highway-paris-protest-pressure-attal-government
snow conditions
When we were caught in it Thursday we resorted to coming off at the closure and navigating the 'yellow roads' back to the next autoroute junction, 'on spec'. It worked several times and gave us a period of empty northbound road at 130.
snow report
Was in Austria last week. Smooth as silk. Going to Tignes on 1st March. Might not be going back to France after that if these protests continue.

Austria's gain. Frances's loss.
ski holidays
Jams don't look too bad on google maps.
ski holidays
Left Arc 1800 at 9am this morning, cotton the D1212 heading for Annecy, doing about 1km per hour. South bound is flowing fine. It’s going to be a long day.
snow conditions
Slow going to LYS from La Plagne although we left early. Two big diversions. The second one alone country roads. Didnt fancy the chances of large coaches getting through too easily.
snow conditions
We left Les Menuires by taxi at 8am to go to Moûtiers (train is easy) and the driver was tellling us it’s going to be a mare. He was trying to get all his transfers to go early in case. I suspect flights will be missed.

At least if you are in your own car you have some control
snow report
Sfellows wrote:
Was in Austria last week. Smooth as silk. Going to Tignes on 1st March. Might not be going back to France after that if these protests continue.

Austria's gain. Frances's loss.

We are the same - normally go to Austria but decided to go to Val Cenis France for half term for kids 1st ski holiday - needless to say we are worried that this will be an issue in 2 weeks time. Lets hope not otherwise it will be Austria every time going forward. Cant even change plans for this trip as kids ski school, lift passes, for all of us, accomadation etc all booked and paid for!
snow report
@davidof, Yes I realise that , I joined one of the traffic Facebook sites for transfers and taxis yesterday and last night there was a news post saying that the yellow jackets had decided to join the party with a call to block the routes to the ski stations quite apart from the farmers .

I suspect it was in response to this

https://www.politico.eu/article/french-farmers-block-highway-hope-yellow-jackets-redux/

Has this happened ?
snow conditions
Rob Mackley wrote:
@davidof, Yes I realise that , I joined one of the traffic Facebook sites for transfers and taxis yesterday and last night there was a news post saying that the yellow jackets had decided to join the party with a call to block the routes to the ski stations quite apart from the farmers .

I suspect it was in response to this

https://www.politico.eu/article/french-farmers-block-highway-hope-yellow-jackets-redux/

Has this happened ?

The Yellow Jackets/Vests never really existed as a united group. It was a grassroots movement of workers that erupted in response to fuel prices (note that fuel is much more expensive today but no YJs). Several personalities tried to take the lead but were rejected by the grass roots. Even at the grass roots level the movement had many different political colours albeit predominantly left wing. The trade unions, seeing a threat to their power also tried unsuccessfully to co-opt the movement.

Rejecting leadership was both a strength but ultimately the group's downfall as there was no one to negotiate with. The government also heavily infiltrated the movement with agent provocateur and brutally repressed any threat to state power while meeting some demands on fuel prices. Covid was the death knell the movement in the end.

I'd be wary in seeing any claims about the YJ today. That doesn't mean that french people don't sympathize with the farmers, there is a rural peasant in every French person (as well as a Jean-Paul Sartre and a Jean Moulin).

The farmers are unionized with leadership and tend to be right of center politically compared to the YJs left wing politics. The farmers are property owners by and large. I'm not sure they are good allies with anarchists.

That's my view. I did speak with some YJs on the roundabouts back in the day so feel i got some insight into their politics.
snow report
Quote:

there is a rural peasant in every French person (as well as a Jean-Paul Sartre and a Jean Moulin)

Laughing
snow report
hope it all gets sorted out speedily, and everyone who is out there or about to go in the next couple of weeks manage to get trouble free travel.

at least if you are not relying on T/O or airport coach transfers, you may be able to navigate your way round it on country roads.

i remember getting caught up in travel disruptions on a summer holiday in 2015, when the French farmers blockaded the roads from Cherbourg on our way to southern Brittany, it was a real PITA, and took us 8hours instead of around 3 hours, after being initially stuck on the dual carriageway, then trying to get through gridlocked traffic.

we are not going until first week of April, but after the Christmas Eurotunnel strikes/weather disruptions,
i am looking to put in a contingency plan just in case of other transport strikes.

it seems like most sectors throughout the UK and Europe is suffering from strike action of some form or the other

currently i am booked on an overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen, but it looks like i can book a Eurotunnel crossing, that is fully refundable up to the time of the departure. so if Brittany ferries is disrupted either by a strike or bad weather, i can divert to Folkestone and make that crossing instead. 0bviously, if the ferry crossing is going ahead i will just cancel the ET booking that evening.
latest report
@davidof, Thanks for the knowledge as per from the ground , did read a comment under the post to say all that would happen is it would end up in a fight !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob Mackley wrote:
@davidof, Thanks for the knowledge as per from the ground , did read a comment under the post to say all that would happen is it would end up in a fight !

Yes, probably. There have already been two deaths during the current protests when a car hit a motorway roadblock.

It is odd how these movements spring up then die. Gilets Jaunes, Bonnets Rouges... Luddites, Lollards and many more over the years.
ski holidays
Route back yesterday
Val Thorens
At Albertville head for Annecy
Head for Bourg
Up to Dijon
Reims
Calais

Took about 30mins longer than normal

M25- blocked by a broken down lorry which delayed us by 2hrs!!!!
ski holidays
@jamescollings, what was Albertville to Annecy traffic like? It usually looks awful going north on a Saturday….
ski holidays
Just drive between 12:00-2:00pm, you'll see no one. They'll all be in the cafes!
snow report
It took us an hour from Landry ( in between les arc and La Plagne ) yesterday ...just weight of traffic ...once through Moutiers it was OK
ski holidays
Journey complete , trouble between Chambrey and Lyon A43 and A48 today and A7 south of Lyon . Loads of Lorry’s parked up in the service areas waiting presumably for it to clear on the A7 . Minor detour from Bresse to Chambrey so little stress . Where will they tip up tomorrow ?
ski holidays
Thankfully our return leg from Tignes to Calais was pretty uneventful. We set off early and only encountered some minor queues through Annecy (the autoroute south of Chambery was closed). Anecdotally, I heard many folks who set off slightly later had very long waits, diversions and some even missed flights.

Annoyingly, having been cautious and booked a late Eurotunnel, there was no option to jump on an earlier one so we had a 3 hr wait. Alas, flexiplus is too rich for me.
latest report
Rob Mackley wrote:
Journey complete , trouble between Chambrey and Lyon A43 and A48 today and A7 south of Lyon . Loads of Lorry’s parked up in the service areas waiting presumably for it to clear on the A7 . Minor detour from Bresse to Chambrey so little stress . Where will they tip up tomorrow ?

I did read that lorries over 7.5 tonnes are band on french autoroutes on sundays
ski holidays
Correct HGVs, with a few exemptions, are not allowed on the road between 10pm Saturday and 10pm Sunday.
snow report
Plain sailing yesterday Chatel to Colchester. Left at 10.30, home 21.15. Tunnel v quiet, we arrived exactly 60 min early for the 2018 departure, ignored the boards, went straight round and onto the 1948.
snow report
Sfellows wrote:
@jamescollings, what was Albertville to Annecy traffic like? It usually looks awful going north on a Saturday….

I could only see the car in front... the fog was very thick!!!!!

But I could tell that a lot of people's SatNavs were directing them that way, since it was slow traffic all the way.
we left VT at 07:30, so were perhaps ahead of the rush.
ski holidays
A40 roughly between Sallanches and Cluses closed today both directions because of the protests (major autoroute between Geneva and many French Alps resorts).

I was on the bus Chamonix to Geneva this morning - it added close to 1hr30 to the journey Skullie I felt sorry for those going to the airport!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy