Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you cancel??

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from great week in Solden...conditions up high were brilliant but as the week went on, Spring was creeping up the mountain very quickly.

There was a lot of brown and green showing everywhere when we left on Saturday morning.

We've the week of the 16th of March booked for Ischgl and by the looks its gonna take several some massive weather fronts to fill in the blanks and I kinda have the feeling last week is as good as it's gonna get.

We've got until the 2nd of the March to cancel and I'm more than prepared to wait...my question to you is.

If there's no change in the weather would you??

(a) Ah balls to it...cancel.

(b) Ah balls to it...we're going anyway.

(c) Ah balls to it....head for the sun.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dazman, (b). Last season we had a massive dump early April which extended the season by a week. Just keep your fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had this conundrum last year for a touring/offpiste weekend I'd planned with a mate. Forecast was for massive storms and high winds on the Sat, with snow limit at 2000m (we were staying at 1200m), and possible improvement on Sun afternoon. So we were looking at possible low-altitude skiing in the rain.

As of Thursday I was ready to cancel, as of Friday the forecast changed to improving for Sunday morning.

In reality, the freezing level dropped, storms came a bit earlier, wind wasn't too bad, and we had two days of fresh snow and (mostly) great visibility.

Right up until 12hrs before, you can't judge the outcome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dazman, If i'd already had a good ski break, I'd be inclined to C

If it was my only chance of skiing it would be a B

We're also looking at a Easter ski, but going to leave it last minute!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Same vibes as Boris.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dazman,
Ask again 2 March when we have an idea of the conditions in a couple of weeks time.
What happened to the option 'Cancel & book somewhere with snow'?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kenzie wrote:
@dazman,
Ask again 2 March when we have an idea of the conditions in a couple of weeks time.

Unfortunately work constraints and family stuff in March and April disqualify us from an option D.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Once you get much past Mid Feb its rare (not impossible) to recreate a base - the days are too long and the days too warm. The bare patches generally return pretty quickly. If its quite bare now I'd expect this to accelerate but mid March should still be fine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last year we were in a similar position to you, although it was the week after in the season that we were due to go and up to two weeks before things were looking dire.

However the forecasts changed for snow, and we had some good skiing and fresh snow.

Ischgl is very snow sure. There's loads of skiing above 2000m, and there's the flexibility to get on the bus to Galtur, Kappl and See too.

I'm keeping an eye on it at the moment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m booked to go skiing in Les Gets starting Easter Saturday. I’m going regardless. If I take my hiking boots instead of my I boots, then so be it.

If that’s the case, one of my daughters will be livid though, as she hasn’t skied yet this year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cancel & put the money towards a japan trip next year
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
b We would and are.
Been to Ischgl late March a few times
Unusual for there to not be much snow in the village
Would like a decent dump about a week before we go though.
Bar bill may be on the up if the snow is poor rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ischgl's mostly really high, the 16th March is a long way away, and the forecast currently holds some promise for late February. I think you'd be crazy to even consider cancelling just now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl usually remains open till pretty late each year . The Webcams are not showing much snow low down but up high it looks fine. Personally I'd hang on in but I like skiing and usually enjoy it if there is something open.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’m in @Boris,’s camp
ski holidays
Book for Italy, somewhere like Alta Bahia where their ability to look after snow is amazing
ski holidays
16th March is over a month a away. Absolutely no way of knowing what it will be then.

The last 2 days completely changed the complexion of skiing in St Anton. Two super days after 3 weeks of very ordinary weather. I am sure it will change many more times before the last lift stops spinning for the season.

The questions are: how much does skiing mean to you and how long do you have to wait until you ski again? Do you have the opportunity to ski in the Southern Hemisphere?
snow report
No, you’ll be fine, top ups and lowish temperatures should help.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2775183

The Pyrenees for as long as I can remember has poor snow conditions compared to The Alps and Ischgl has a good record.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 14-02-24 9:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Timmycb5 wrote:
I’m booked to go skiing in Les Gets starting Easter Saturday. I’m going regardless. If I take my hiking boots instead of my I boots, then so be it.

If that’s the case, one of my daughters will be livid though, as she hasn’t skied yet this year.

Spend 30 min a day getting up to Avoriaz, better than sitting in a hotel fuming.
ski holidays
dazman wrote:

If there's no change in the weather would you??

(a) Ah balls to it...cancel.

(b) Ah balls to it...we're going anyway.

(c) Ah balls to it....head for the sun.

Always (b) for me. There will be some skiing and you’re in the mountains with great scenery, good food and like minded people. I ALWAYS enjoy my ski holidays whatever the weather or conditions.

PS. Confession, I am of the persuasion that also still goes out in storms and whiteouts because “it’s a challenge and learning experience” so, as they say, Your Mileage May Vary Very Happy
snow report
Ischgl is open until the first weekend in May. The home runs might be rubbish (they usually are) but everything else will be fine. I have been skiing in Ischgl when it was practically the only non glacial area open in the alps. No idea what the snow depths there are but in St Anton they are over 3m which is more than enough to keep going until the end of the season let alone mid March. Stop worrying and stop reading the "end of skiing is nigh" threads. A bigger issue is how much it all costs....
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
A bigger issue is how much it all costs....

Not that much apparently. rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
Tough one. I was in a similar position last year having booked an expensive place for a family trip to Flaine in April. Before that, was out in early March on a solo trip and supposed to ski at a smaller, nearby resort, but it was effectively shut due to lack of snow. I, along with everyone else in the area it seems, ended up at Flaine because nothing else was sufficiently open and it was not a pleasant experience. Very busy and hard, stony, brown pistes. Had to make a call by the end of that week or I'd get nothing back, so reluctantly cancelled. And, of course, there was a huge dump of snow after I left and it would probably have been great!
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
Ischgl is open until the first weekend in May. The home runs might be rubbish (they usually are) but everything else will be fine. I have been skiing in Ischgl when it was practically the only non glacial area open in the alps. No idea what the snow depths there are but in St Anton they are over 3m which is more than enough to keep going until the end of the season let alone mid March. Stop worrying and stop reading the "end of skiing is nigh" threads. A bigger issue is how much it all costs....

Exactly.

I'd tend to think, if you only like skiing when conditions are great, then maybe - with the exception of old age or other health related fragilities - one doesn't like skiing that much and should perhaps reconsider, if it's even worth the considerable risk, hassle and cost. (In part inspired by another thread snowHead )
ski holidays
If I had kids and it was during the school holidays I would definitely cancel.

It looks so insanely busy right now even with poor conditions.

For the first time, I'm genuinely concerned for the future of alpine skiing in the intermediate-term. It surely can't continue at these prices.
snow report
@dazman, I'm in a vaguely similar predicament for end of March but my view is go b) every time - you'll find some skiing; you may be forced to apres early but either way its a holiday so enjoy!
ski holidays
Rule 5 - b is the only option
snow report
dazman wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@dazman,

Unfortunately work constraints and family stuff in March and April disqualify us from an option D.

I dont understand, you've already booked the week, so why would work constraints stop you from going somewhere other than Ischgl? Unless the work and family stuff is local
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
munich_irish wrote:

It's grand actually.....got cheap flights with Aer Lingus to Zurich, I got a great deal on the train (thanks to you and Scarlett..ps construction work issue has disappeared??!!) and we're staying in the Maximillian (just down from the Kitzloch for €900 B&B.

All in...way way less than an "entry level" package with Crystal.
snow report
@dazman, most people on here are going to answer b.

I think you are being overly negative tbh but I don't know your circs.

In the last 15 years because of kids I've skied Christmas and Easter. We just commit to it. I've had all sorts of conditions but we just crack on. The beer/tea always tastes good at the end of the day, you are in the mountains, spending time with family/friends...

Prior to that if conditions were poor early season we'd hold off but that was about it. We always went in the end.
ski holidays
Tristero wrote:
munich_irish wrote:

Exactly.

I'd tend to think, if you only like skiing when conditions are great, then maybe - with the exception of old age or other health related fragilities - one doesn't like skiing that much and should perhaps reconsider, if it's even worth the considerable risk, hassle and cost. (In part inspired by another thread snowHead )

"One doesn't like skiing that much and should reconsider"

Yeah...I'm such a flake that I'm only trying to go skiing for the third time this year, Jesus wept.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
@dazman, most people on here are going to answer b.

I think you are being overly negative tbh but I don't know your circs.

In the last 15 years because of kids I've skied Christmas and Easter. We just commit to it. I've had all sorts of conditions but we just crack on. The beer/tea always tastes good at the end of the day, you are in the mountains, spending time with family/friends...

Prior to that if conditions were poor early season we'd hold off but that was about it. We always went in the end.

You obviously didn't read my initial post.....my question was to YOU.

I'm going one way or the other.
snow report
No.
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
dazman wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
@dazman,

I dont understand, you've already booked the week, so why would work constraints stop you from going somewhere other than Ischgl? Unless the work and family stuff is local

I may have misread Kenzies question....and thought they were suggesting go at a different time hence my reply.

I also think a lot of folk misread my question too....I was asking what would you guys do??

and FYI....I'm still going to Ischgl one way or the other.
ski holidays
@dazman, ah, I read it as a different resort but same dates.

I'm heading to Ski Amade the week before, so very much in the "stick with it" route...although slightly different because it's a group coming from different places in the world so we're restricted by which airport we can use (or significantly increase hassle).

If I was REALLY concerned and had flexibility of where to fly then I'd probably look at alternatives elsewhere and leave it late to book.
ski holidays
It's a dilemma for sure, which way to avoid regret?

In view of this and the weather/conditions threads I've given it some thought about recent holidays.

Looking back at my last 5 trips. Obergurgl early Mar19, Saalbach Jan20, Zell am See Jan23, Kaprun Mar23 and Zell am See Jan24 only one of them has featured cold conditions and good snow down to the village which was Saalbach in 2020. We had planned to go again in Mar20 but you know the rest of that story.

I've looked at historical webcam images for Zell and Kaprun and it seems I've mainly been unlucky in the timing. Even this year was great until about a week before, which, irritatingly, was a poor week last year. It's certainly not looking to get any better any time soon. Various dumps appear in the models until they're about a week out then they're gone.

The first real regret experience for me was heading high to Obergurgl in March 19 to find myself skiing in slush with temps of 17c.

Last March in Kaprun it was a slush fest on the Maiskogel and a white out blizzard with lift closures on the Kitzsteinhorn.

Result is we're not going again this year and that is mainly influenced by the last two March hols and this January. It's not enough fun to justify the (frankly now almost farcical) costs when it neither looks nor feels like a ski holiday used to and should do. I appreciate that subjective but how many of us would keep heading to our favourite summer destinations if we came back saying the weather was poor but at least we got to sit outside for a bit most days?

I think given that you can cancel so late you should wait as long as you can but unless there an epic turnaround in conditions then keep your cash for another time or place.
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
It's a dilemma for sure, which way to avoid regret?

In view of this and the weather/conditions threads I've given it some thought about recent holidays.

Looking back at my last 5 trips. Obergurgl early Mar19, Saalbach Jan20, Zell am See Jan23, Kaprun Mar23 and Zell am See Jan24 only one of them has featured cold conditions and good snow down to the village which was Saalbach in 2020. We had planned to go again in Mar20 but you know the rest of that story.

I've looked at historical webcam images for Zell and Kaprun and it seems I've mainly been unlucky in the timing. Even this year was great until about a week before, which, irritatingly, was a poor week last year. It's certainly not looking to get any better any time soon. Various dumps appear in the models until they're about a week out then they're gone.

The first real regret experience for me was heading high to Obergurgl in March 19 to find myself skiing in slush with temps of 17c.

Last March in Kaprun it was a slush fest on the Maiskogel and a white out blizzard with lift closures on the Kitzsteinhorn.

Result is we're not going again this year and that is mainly influenced by the last two March hols and this January. It's not enough fun to justify the (frankly now almost farcical) costs when it neither looks nor feels like a ski holiday used to and should do. I appreciate that subjective but how many of us would keep heading to our favourite summer destinations if we came back saying the weather was poor but at least we got to sit outside for a bit most days?

I think given that you can cancel so late you should wait as long as you can but unless there an epic turnaround in conditions then keep your cash for another time or place.

I was in Obergurgl literally 7 days ago...and it was incredible.

It's a tough one alright.
latest report
@dazman, you didn't phrase you OP/question very well IMO hence the misunderstandings.

As I say if I was restricted to a certain week I would book and accept what conditions were handed.

If I could leave it late, as I often could before kids, I wouldn't have booked at this point but would just be waiting to see when conditions improved then book a few days before.

In your position I would certainly go b.
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@dazman, ah, I read it as a different resort but same dates.

I'm heading to Ski Amade the week before, so very much in the "stick with it" route...although slightly different because it's a group coming from different places in the world so we're restricted by which airport we can use (or significantly increase hassle).

If I was REALLY concerned and had flexibility of where to fly then I'd probably look at alternatives elsewhere and leave it late to book.

We've organised a St Patricks Day party in Kitzloch (Yes, THAT place..go on then....free hit for all tut-tutters on here) for the past 11 or so years and we're also constrained to folk flying in to meet up.
snow report
Last year in France major snow through March and April. We arrived in Tignes after 50cm of snow on 31st March
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy