Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breaks with Esf?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I have an odd question. We are doing morning lessons with ESF in la plagne and I wondered is it usual for them to stop mid morning for a break? Just wondering if I need to take a drink or snack out with me. Also as the lessons are morning do they usually end at the meeting point or is the etiquette to go for lunch with everyone? Or can we just leave them and head off to lunch ourselves?. Never done ski school so it's all new (we will be in the "average" class)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It'd be rare for ESF to stop for a break in a half-day lesson. Take some jelly babies or something in your pocket for an emergency, and enough to share on the lift wink .
Usually you will end up where you started - but you may agree with the instructor to split up elsewhere, but that's more up to you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree, for a morning lesson you will start and finish in the same place. No breaks. People sometimes peel off at the top of the last lift to meet friends somewhere, but will tell the instructor so s/he doesn't think they've lost them.

At busy times the instructor may well be doing another class or private lesson over lunchtime, and then another in the afternoon. For them lunch is a grabbed sandwich in the ski school hut. The only exception is all-day private lessons (single or group) when you lunch together with the instructor and might have a coffee stop too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hardly ever stopped for a break in a morning lesson with ESF-even in very bad weather we were out for all of the lesson unless we chose to leave it ourselves. Usually always went back to the meeting point as many were collecting kids or other friends and family.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive bought instructor a coffee on break, but that is usually private lessons & instigated by me needing a rest
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One morning when the weather was particularly unappealing my husband, on a private lesson, suggested to an instructor we knew well that they gave up and went for a vin chaud. Stéphane suggested they try a white vin chaud - a new discovery for Tony.

But yes, no breaks usually and in holiday times they will be haring off to the next lesson.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your standard French 'morning only', adult, group ski school's only around 2.5/3hrs long so you don't have time/need for a coffee break. Lessons will generally start/end at the meet point every day, the only exception is likely to be meeting at the bottom of the gondola but ending at the top of that gondola (means you can use the ski school lane to jump the gondola queue in the morning so less time waiting for people to start the lesson in the morning and means you aren't paying an instructor to ride a gondola down with you). At the end of the lessons the group will generally break up as people head off to meet up with their skiing friends for lunch. Occasionally you might get some solo learners at which point it's up to you if you ask them if they'd like to join you for lunch, but you're not under any obligation to do so.

Things can be a little different if you're going for 'full day' lessons - but you're still unlikely to get any coffee breaks (for every student happy with the break there's going to be another who'd rather still be out on the snow) and as @j b said while you might get a 90min lunch break between morning and afternoon lessons the instructor probably has a 60min pirvate lessons squeezed in there. If the students eat together/separately will be down to the individual group dynamic. Some will split off to meet friends/family for lunch, others will be abandoned by theirs and either eat alone or together.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ah thanks everyone, I really wasn't sure whether you would stop for a 10 minute break. I hope I can keep up with everyone lol! I usually have a bum bag with snacks for the chairlifts anyway but we usually stop in the morning for a hot chocolate somewhere en route. I am really looking forward to seeing what having lessons for the first time in 35 years will be like and see how many awful bad habits I have picked up along the way! I am worried that my old body won't bend in the way that it should to improve on my technique!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy