Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prices of Salzburg hill restaurants rise twice as fast as inflation

Poster: A snowHead
Food and beverage prices in the ski resorts of the Salzburgerland have increased by about 60% in the last 10 years.

The increase is almost twice as large as the inflation rate in the same period. This is according to research by the Arbeiterkammer Salzburg, an interest group of employees in Salzburg. The price increase is generally greatest in ski resorts with many kilometres of pistes.

Restaurants on the slopes

The study was carried out in 192 huts and restaurants in 23 different ski resorts, all of which are located directly on the slopes. In each case, 24 products were examined, of which 11 were drinks and 13 meals, including 5 children's dishes/drinks. The results were compared with the same study from 2014.

On average, prices in piste restaurants rose by 59.2%, while the consumer price index (an indicator of inflation) rose by only 33.5% over the same period.

Big risers

Beverages have risen about 49% in price over the past decade. Some examples of increases:

Schiwasser: +63%
Beer: +46 to +51%
Cola: +47%
In a third of the piste restaurants, money was charged for tap water, with an average price of 1.06 euros for 0.25 litres.

Food (including children's meals) has risen even more in price than drinks since 2014 by 63%. For example:

Apple strudel: +75%
Spaghetti Bolognese: +69%
Frankfurter with bread: +70%

Major differences

However, there are major differences between the ski resorts. For example, in Obertauern, one of the more expensive destinations at all, half a liter of beer (converted) costs €8.50, while in Werfenweng you pay €4.50. Frankfurter with bread costs €4.50 in Mühlbach am Hochkönig, while €9.60 was paid in Saalbach.

Regionally, the smallest price increases are in the regions of Lungau and Tennengau. This includes areas such as Grosseck Speiereck, Katschberg and Dachstein-West. The Pinzgau region, on the other hand, is more expensive than the average. These include: Saalbach, Hinterglemm, Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Zell am See and Kaprun. Furthermore, it has been found that the larger the ski area, the higher the prices are.

Here is the complete overview of the products under review

https://sbg.arbeiterkammer.at/service/presse/AK-Erhebung-zeigt-gewaltige-Preissteigerungen-in-Salzburg.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was recently skied in Zell am See, Leogang, Saalback, Dorfgastein and Maria Alm and I thought that prices on the mountain were extremely reasonable, soup and a beer typically Euro 13-15 and hot chocolate around Euro 5. Last year in the 3 Valleys I couldn't find a lunch on the mountain for less than Euro 30, mainly because mountain restos don't seem to offer a sensibly priced Plat du Jour.

However I did note that my Superskicard costs exactly the same as a 3Vs pass.

Half Board 4* Hotel accommodation was extremely reasonably priced, as were beers in Zell.

TBH it will take a lot to persuade me to go back to France.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But is anyone trying to persuade you, @DavidYacht?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DavidYacht wrote:

I'll double down on that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No surprises. Same, same in the Arlberg.

I have a poor memory for prices, but this year it felt that prices have substantially increased from even last year. In some cases, prices went up, while quantity and quality went down. Case in point: the signature dish at S1 Lounge in Salober jumped to €18, but instead of a full wooden bowl, they inserted another bowl inside it, they deleted the side salad, the pasta was watery, and cheese was not right. A sausage & mash €17.

Season pass up 50% in 2 years.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
0.5l now 0.4l in a number of places. I definitely noticed higher prices in Amade over the past month; a couple of euros on a main, a euro on soup
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Baron von chippy wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:

I'll double down on that.

I'll triple down on that (Zell in 2 weeks) although I'm lying as I've been forced to go to Tignes end of March (will report back on insipid pizza slice rates and other french calamities) Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

will report back on insipid pizza slice rates and other french calamities

So, going with an open mind then? Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Origen, Have 'done' France historically many many times (although first timer to Tignes so will have an open'ish' mind). . . . whilst it can be tops for skiing itself everything else is a poor in comparison to Austria / Switzerland IMO - this includes people / vibe / accom / pricing / ski shops / tuition / lifts / lift ques / general traditional 'alpiness' . . . .also much prefer Jaegertee to Vin Chaude all day long . . .and Hammerschlagen over ridiculous disco dancing to monotonous europop at the Folie 'I'm waay to old to be here but no-one will know if I keep my face mask on' Douce
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am very tight - but I appear to have "assimilated" ski resort prices - this year in Valmeneir/Valloire a sandwich was 7-8 euros and drink 5 euros - been the same price in France for several years now because I remember being appalled when a diet coke was more than 3 euros pre-pandemic but I can't believe I now actually think its ok for pay over £7 for a cheese and ham baguette. The main problem was that very few restaurants offer a sandwich option, so I just had soup a few times - I really don't want a "meal" at lunchtime.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is this symptomatic of sky high inflation in the Alps generally, especially since 2020?

The hotel we love near Schladming increases its tariffs each winter by exactly 20%. It has high occupancy from mid December to March. This isn’t the old adage of “well, they have to make their year’s income in 4 months”, as they have a bumper June to September season too.

My guess is that anyone with money is now optimising their skiing and travel post pandemic.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

My guess is that anyone with money is now optimising their skiing and travel post pandemic

Yes. Post pandemic and pre-catastrophic global warming! People want these services and can and will pay for them. It's a commercial business and there's a reasonably competitive market.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm in agreement with several others above, I stopped going to France in favour of Austria or Italy a few years ago for the many reasons already presented above. In the main, the people and food are generally more pleasant.

Of course, there will be the odd nice froggy, it would be rude to say they are all vile.... Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow&skifan wrote:

The hotel we love near Schladming increases its tariffs each winter by exactly 20%. It has high occupancy from mid December to March. This isn’t the old adage of “well, they have to make their year’s income in 4 months”, as they have a bumper June to September season too.

Why would you not do that if you continue to run high occupancy? You own a business to make money. Customers may hate it, but there it is.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It would be good if lots of people decide not to go to French resorts because they seem to have been too crowded so far this season. If they became a bit less popular, and the resorts and businesses have to work a bit harder to offer VFM, that would be good for customers.
latest report
You pays your money, you takes your choice.
snow report
So people say, and it seems obvious, but I'm never very sure what they mean. wink
ski holidays
The 3 Valleys is not representative of French ski resort prices as a whole.

Plat du jour widely available for €14 in many French resorts I was at last week (Courchevel being the main exception, though Sainte Foy was also a bit pricey). Other main courses generally in the €11-€20 range.
snow report
I’m not a European so I may have this wrong but I don’t understand how people generalise France. I’ve just been in Briancon and the prices of food and beverage are quite a bit cheaper than the prices of similar food and drink prices in Les Arcs/Tignes last winter. The accommodation prices are much cheaper too.
snow report
Quote:

I’m not a European so I may have this wrong but I don’t understand how people generalise France.

No, you've not got it wrong. It's like somebody sitting at a café beside the Grand Canal in Venice and complaining that drinks in Italy are expensive. France has well over 300 ski resorts and I find that the more of them people have visited, the less inclined they are to generalise. wink
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
I’m not a European so I may have this wrong but I don’t understand how people generalise France. I’ve just been in Briancon and the prices of food and beverage are quite a bit cheaper than the prices of similar food and drink prices in Les Arcs/Tignes last winter. The accommodation prices are much cheaper too.

In my experience, Serre Che (not exactly a small ski area) was nowhere near as expensive as some of the other French “mega” resorts.
ski holidays
Origen wrote:
Quote:

I’m not a European so I may have this wrong but I don’t understand how people generalise France.

No, you've not got it wrong. It's like somebody sitting at a café beside the Grand Canal in Venice and complaining that drinks in Italy are expensive. France has well over 300 ski resorts and I find that the more of them people have visited, the less inclined they are to generalise. wink

I’ve skied loads of resorts as there are only 2 we’ve repeated in over 30 yrs skiing and you can’t generalise - the smaller resorts sometimes have less competition so even though they aren’t as busy they are still expensive - but their much cheaper lift passes mean it all evens out.

Skiing is not a cheap sport - but it’s not as pricey as sailing Laughing

10 yrs ago I used to be able to take 4 of us Feb half term, self catering for less than £2k - this year I was delighted to get a week in low season for £750 each all in - so I guess I finally realised it wasn’t worth stressing over a few euros at lunchtime - also there were only 2 of us so that made the bill more palatable
latest report
As a Salzburg resident I'd say that prices were held lower than inflation for the first couple of seasons after Covid to get people coming back to the mountains. We then saw an above inflation rise from '23 onwards as higher energy and labour costs caught up. It is interesting that Austria struggles as much as other European countries in getting folks to do lower paid jobs that support the tourist industry (in part due to a push back on immigration), especially hospitality staff, drivers, lift operators and even ski instructors in the peak weeks. We stopped taking bookings for Fasching week in mid Jan! Overall I think the prices are still relatively good value for your holiday expenditure and menu of the day is routinely in the €15-17 bracket. Beer in the village still way less than London prices.
snow conditions
@RedandWhiteFlachau, spot on. Just over the border in OO, there’s been only a marginal increase in eating/drinking prices on the mountain, much as there has been pretty much everywhere here. The biggest impact was the end of the negotiated period of electricity for the lift company in 2022/23. The 2023/24 ski pass prices were hiked quite a bit, as a consequence.

Just about everywhere in these parts are experiencing a fairly severe shortage of workers in hospitality. And it’s not just the tourist industry feeling the strain. Was chatting to one of the local Krankenhaus doctors the other day and he reckoned their low staffing levels, across the hospital, were creating some severe stresses and they weren’t at all looking forward to the peak school holiday skiing weeks!
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:

Most of the 'generalisation' from my perspective is based on fact/experience but also outlook and preference - in reality there's nothing wrong with France (the skiing can be fantastic and the country is stunning) and as you state I'm sure some resorts can be more cost effective than others. Centuries of war may have something to do with our jovial disdain of our closest cousins however for me 'laissez faire' (which I'm normally cool with anywhere else in France) and skiing don't go hand in hand . . .this and getting the feeling of being ripped off up the mountain for a measly slice of pizza / bread and cheese when others have more realistic pricing policies . . .
snow report
I've never understood why schiwasser seemed so expensive prior to any price rises. Isn't most of it tap water?
snow report
Hilarious how an OP post about large increases in mountain food and drink prices in some parts of Austria so quickly descends into a series of comments about "French mega-resorts".
latest report
@Layne, it's because the very first reply was this one, which was essentially along the lines of "I visited the most expensive ski area in France and will therefore generalise about the entire country." Predictably that sparked more discussion than the opening post.

DavidYacht wrote:
I was recently skied in Zell am See, Leogang, Saalback, Dorfgastein and Maria Alm and I thought that prices on the mountain were extremely reasonable, soup and a beer typically Euro 13-15 and hot chocolate around Euro 5. Last year in the 3 Valleys I couldn't find a lunch on the mountain for less than Euro 30, mainly because mountain restos don't seem to offer a sensibly priced Plat du Jour.

However I did note that my Superskicard costs exactly the same as a 3Vs pass.

Half Board 4* Hotel accommodation was extremely reasonably priced, as were beers in Zell.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, Happy for all Francophiles to continue their love affair - the less Brits in Austria the better for the rest of us!
latest report
hammerite wrote:
I've never understood why schiwasser seemed so expensive prior to any price rises. Isn't most of it tap water?

Yep, although it can be fizzy sometimes. I agree
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Yep, although it can be fizzy sometimes. I agree

Must be those “rare” mountain herbs that are supposed to be in it…. Laughing Oh, and the out of season raspberries Laughing
ski holidays
@Cacciatore, Laughing
snow report
Its a discussion!

TBH I suspect that in order to maintain interest in the sport I needed a change, and small Austrian resorts offer the antidote to French mega resorts (or at least the 3Vs). Because of the different food, language, skiing infrastructure and apres the contrast of Austria vs. France may seem more extreme. On my recent trip it was clear that the demographic of those flying into Salzburg were decidedly grey, so I am probably in tune with the zeitgeist, though that didn't seem to get in way of the party.

Other lovely and affordable small French resorts may also be available.

Shall try Italy (as well) next year.
snow report
@Cacciatore, @holidayloverxx, Ich finde, Wasser aus dem fass mit einem Spritzer Sloe Gin aus einem Flachmann funktioniert genauso gut.
ski holidays
DavidYacht wrote:
Its a discussion!

The OP was purely about the increase in food and beverage prices Salzburgerland and the major differences in the region of these increases. An unusually interesting post from mad Dutch taxi driver. The discussion on French mega resorts has been done countless times - so I just though it would be nice for a change to stick to the subject. But rock on and discuss French mega resorts... again.
snow conditions
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@Cacciatore, @holidayloverxx, Ich finde, Wasser aus dem fass mit einem Spritzer Sloe Gin aus einem Flachmann funktioniert genauso gut.

Basstscha… Toofy Grin
ski holidays
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

Bleugh
latest report
Really interesting to read the latest page of this thread:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164688&start=680

Talks on rip off prices, busy pistes and brawling Brits - in Austria.
latest report
Just to be clear I have done a bit of skiing in Austria years ago and loved it. Well, I love skiing, so why wouldn't I.

I am not trying to start an Austria bashing session.
snow conditions
St Anton pikeys probably . . .they're everywhere you know snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy