Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 27 Jan to 3 Feb

Poster: A snowHead
First time here in LDA in a group of 8, all 50-53 yrs. Six of the group have been before with three of the ladies being beginners the rest of us intermediates.

I’ll try to put together a fuller report later but first day on slopes today was interesting let’s say.

Temperatures are warm, wish I’d had sun cream on today. I can’t believe how high the snow line is! The lower slopes between the top of Diable and Cretes down to the town are pretty shabby. Base layer of snow is sketchy and very grainy with a lot of ice. The beginners area at Viking is frankly trashed. The beginner area up at Cretes is much better.

Went upto 3200m on Jandri and most of the blues and reds this afternoon were quite rough with significant moguls in places.

We’ve had fun but holy moly it needs some snow and with none in the forecast it’s going to be a tough week on the knees as pistes are hard packed and icy beneath loose man made sugar.

Off piste is non existent with everything tracked out and super crusty.

Quite like the town, it’s busy enough and some decent bars with a bit of live music this evening in the Polar Bar.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jirac18,

Thanks for the honest assessment.

You're description matches what I found on Friday.

The glacier slopes were pretty good (I didn't go any higher than the top of the Jandi Express - or not-so-Express) as it was very windy, but Jandi 4 and the blue it joins were fine.
Fee was very icy, as was Cretes with the addition of ice marbles.
I skied down from Cretes to Diablo on porridge (at 12.30pm) and wished I hadn't bothered.

It's our first visit here and can see it's potential, especially for beginners, but heaven help them in these conditions

I have a lot of sympathy for those who live for skiing and make sacrifices to get away for a week each year - hoping they have fun and enjoy the slopes regardless of the conditions.

We're on the campsite at Venosc and quite frankly I'm not rushing to get my skis on rolling eyes Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We got up to the top of the glacier first thing today and had a great morning skiing. The temps had dropped overnight to around -4 up there (but +6) in town and the blues and reds were actually great but once the sun hit anything lower started to cut up a lot and this afternoon was okay but nothing to write home about. The slopes down from cretes and Diable were awful and yes @Scamper, Fees was very icy. Either super hard pack and icy in shade or mush.
Two skied down to the town at end of day and they said they badly regretted that. The lower slopes were littered with accidents involving people who couldn’t cope with the conditions and busy slopes. I’m glad I downloaded.
This evening felt much colder in the town so maybe they’ll have cannons on tonight.
I think some of the blue slope grading are pretty dodgy and inaccurate, they’d be red in many other places I’ve skied. I’ve seen enough in two days, conditions aside, to know I wouldn’t come back. That said we have a really great group here so we’re having fun and enjoying ourselves anyway.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What has surprised me is the lack of barriers or safety mesh at the edges of some pretty severe drops.
Even though the gradients were benign, the runs were narrow and icy in places - very easy to end up over the edge!

I saw your post on another thread - sounds as though conditions are getting worse!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scamper, yeh they are tbh. But we had a reasonable day anyways. More detail tomorrow as we went to the Umbrella Bar and a few others to celebrate a group members birthday. Struggling to focus but fantastic night out!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Umbrella Bar is excellent. Had a heck of a good afternoon/evening last year. Just got a good deal and we're heading out to L2A on 9th March for a week. Really looking forward to it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Poshprop, well I certainly hope and expect you’ll have some snow before then. It really is decent piste skiing up high during the morning before it gets carved up and bumpy in the afternoon. I would say it’s as close to late March early April spring conditions as you’ll ever get for January and February.
This morning we did loops of the mid level slopes from Diable, Super Diable, Snow Park downs to Crêtes. It really was good fun but soooo busy for this week. More and more skiers are condensing into a smaller area I believe. We skied the blue down from cretes to Diable in town at lunch time just to see how it was whilst it was quieter. To be fair for any competent intermediate it was fine whilst quiet, but some big mounds of slushy stuff starting to accumulate. I suspect at the end of the day it will be absolute carnage.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This morning was quite cloudy and overcast and flat light with high winds caused a few issues. But the sun came good around 1030 and we really enjoyed the runs around the snow park and Bellecombe sectors. The Pierre Grosse blue down to the Fees gondola was actually very enjoyable apart from one steeper section which with loose top level and a few moguls was causing havoc with many who just probably shouldn’t have been on it, or thought oh it’s blue so I’ll be fine.
As we stepped out of the gondola at the top across from Jandri at 3400m the wind actually blew a young woman off her feet it was that strong. I feared the worst but it was great down from the top. The pistes were awesome and where the wind had blown there was a nice layer of basically fresh snow across them. As we got further down there were again many accidents as the blue runs became very busy and sadly littered with people who couldn’t seem to cope with the mixture of conditions in such close proximity. Most runs had perfect piste snow, loose carved up piles of snow, sheet ice, hard pack, and slushy snow in direct sun despite the cooler feel.
After lunch the wind picked up even more and coming off the top of Super Diable down to Bellecombe it was straight line or basically be blown to a stop by the head wind. As the runs merge at the bottom of Bellecombe there were again quite a few accidents. Too many skiing too fast and without respect for others. A little sad to see tbh.
Blue down from Cretes to town was very slushy at 1545h when we descended. We followed the line of an instructor for most of it and made light work of it but soooo many people who just should have downloaded in the gondola. That all said we have had our best days skiing this trip, we dodged all the trouble and I think the conditions just really focussed our minds and skill sets.
Last day tomorrow with warm temps forecast again and thankfully less wind. There are a couple of runs left to do but we’ve pretty much covered the whole resort. I’m conscious my report may read a bit negatively around conditions but really I think it’s been okay, not great, but good in places and bad in places. The biggest takeaway for me though is people just not adapting to varied conditions either through lack of ability or just not using their brains.
When I get home at the weekend I will add some more detail and sit with the piste map and give info and our thoughts of each run.
I’ll add some information on our accommodation and the town too.
For anyone heading here for Feb half term I suggest a dance for the snow gods and failing that head as high as you can as early as you can to enjoy the best of it. Plan to download to town or ski the homeward runs before the masses.

Edit to say really just needs snow below 2000m. Anything above Cretes has plenty of base and snow generally, condition of that snow varies but there is plenty of it. If there were more lower down it would really help thin the crowds out a bit imo.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another warm day today, beautiful blue skies but still a bit windy up on the glacier. Snow from super Diable up was really enjoyable and the pistes were clearly well groomed overnight. The lower steepest section before the flat of Pierre Grosse was a bit carved up but still good fun. Runs back to Cretes we’re getting quite slushy in the sun by lunchtime so we had a brief halt for a drink then skied through main part of lunch whilst pistes were quiet. Bellecombe sector was good, Toura good and the jandri runs from the top were excellent.
Sadly Mrs Jirac twisted her knee on probably the easiest piste of the lot on our very last run before taking the gondola down. She was in a lot of pain and I suspect torn medial ligament so she’ll be hobbling home in the morning.

On the whole an enjoyable week, what’s not to love really, it’s skiing after all. Not the best conditions and definitely my least favourite resort I’ve visited as far as the layout of the slopes goes, not helped by an absence of snow lower down. LDA definitely needs more mountain restaurants (there really is such little choice) and to sort out a couple of the bottle necks from Bellecombe to Cretes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the words of Sir Steve Redgrave, if anyone ever sees me trying to fly out from Grenoble ever again they have my permission to shoot me!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im still here, as fly home Sunday
I am glad i picked L2A as it is high and has the glacier. I fancied a return after 20 years. So that worked out well.
I agree with the comments above.
Conditions were in the most part tolerable and on the glacier, even good. But you were dealing with such mixed conditions it was, at times, very hard work and a test. I wouldnt have liked to be a first timer.
You had to be on your guard. Down in resort its not good.
Generally, Cretes was good, Toura ok, Fee ok, but like skiing on salt sometimes particularly out of the restaurant, Bellecombes tolerable, glacier good but its not the most exciting part. Diable probably worst and shut on and off. Vallee Blanche deserved its hour over there.....but only just.
Conditions worsened, understandably, as the week went on.
L2A is a real marmite place. We had a great trip. But had skied it all in 3 days. As stated above, it needs more mountain restaurants. Imho only one is really good. La Fee. I had 3 very good lunches in glorious surroundings there. But today getting out was no fun as the steep cut down to the piste was like skiing in the contents of a salt cellar or saharan sand. Glad its only short.
The resort itself is nice if a bit of a concrete jungle, for a ski resort.
All in all, i felt it worthy of a revisit 20 years after my last.
But imho, it cant touch its near neighbour ADH which is one of the best areas in France.

One little thing has concerned me this week however. The standard of piste etiquette. I have witnessed so many out of control people, got wiped out by a boarder from behind on the way down to the Cretes chair while not deviating from a straight line. He was apologetic. But L2A seems to be the lowest standards i have seen.
The conditions this week have needed added care.

Maybe in another 20 years i might return. But to summarise there are very many better resorts. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the details. I made the mistake of skiing to the bottom of L2A once. Always download now. Plus that way you can join the late afternoon party at Pano Bar before heading down.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A little bit more info on pistes from our trip….

Lauze and Jandri 5 on glacier excellent, wide great snow not too busy at all, did one day in high wind which was challenging but still great. It flattens and then rises at the bottom so you have to get a good head of steam up and let the skis run from a way out as you approach and cross the TBar. The T Bar is long, the funiculaire is good but was crammed and imagine not good for anyone with claustrophobia.

All Jandri and Glacier runs down from Glacier to Toura were in very good condition too most of the time. They are very wide blues but in places are way steeper than your average blue which may be off putting to some. The reds are often quieter than the blues. A few spots were quite carved up and bumpy by mid afternoon but first thing they were as good as you get.

The Toura sector was fun, some really nice runs down in between the snow park, and always fun to watch the youngsters doing their tricks in the park. The park looked very good if that’s what you are after. We had the obligatory photos at the Les 2 Alpes sign.
Of note is the moguls where consistently you could watch folks with absolutely no business being on them. Saw one especially bad accident of a skier out of control, wiping out head first. He genuinely looked like a week one or two skier trying steep deep moguls. Crazy.

Pierre Grosse runs very busy at the steep sections with nervous skiers clogging up the carved up bumps but otherwise decent enough at the right times of day. Hard packed, icy and slushy all in one. Nice long runs though and a quick gondola back up to the glacier.

Bellecombe 2,3,4 all very quiet and despite only being short were some of the best runs as often you could find only yourself on them. Didn’t do Bellecombe 5 Black was way to severe moguls for my old knees and skill level.

Jandri 2 and all Crêtes runs were okay but always very busy and conditions so variable and at times difficult under the baking sun or when the wind had blown away surface to boiler plate hard pack and ice.

Fee 2 and Thuite 2 not pleasant, very icy in shade.

Runs down to town already described in previous posts, carnage end of day, avoid and download in current conditions.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Resort trip info…..

We booked via Sunweb staying at the Belle Étoile at Venosc end of town. I booked flights separately for two groups of four from Newcastle and Bristol arriving into Grenoble.

Grenoble arrivals is okay and we got through reasonably quickly to our Bens Bus transfer. Transfer took about 90 minutes longer than normal due to farmers protests but it was fine. Bens Bus service was good and dropped us at the Diable Lift Pass office. I collected our ski passes straight away in the afternoon of arrival as no queue which was better than the following morning which was busy.
Ski passes were included in the Sunweb booking which I think proved to be good value.

Five minute walk with luggage to Belle Étoile hotel. The hotel is okay, basic and not all our rooms had a balcony. Mine did and it was excellent as caught late afternoon sun and as great for drying and airing clothing and kit.
Food at the hotel was plentiful and I’d defy anyone to go hungry. Not all the meals were the best quality a bit hit and miss but I’m the least fussy eater I know so actually enjoyed it all. Some of our group less so. Breakfast was faultless, always loads of continental offerings, hot scrambled egg and grilled bacon too. I managed most days to bag some fruit and the best pain au chocolat for lunch.

Some of the group used the sauna and jacuzzi and enjoyed it but you need to book slots in advance.

The boot and ski room was not great tbh. It’s very tight on space with old narrow lockers and if you time it with a large number of people it’s frankly impossible to get ready without aggravation.

The town itself I quite liked and it’s way bigger than I expected. Loads of shops, bars and restaurants. The umbrella bar was great fun. Had some nice food and drinks in The Sherpa.
Mountain restaurants are very limited compared to everywhere else I’ve skied. I real downside imo for this resort.

Bens Bus back to grenoble was spot on and no delays on return as the farmers protests had cleared. Flight was delayed by 45 mins taking off which I think was due to how disorganised the airport was. The departures checkin area is diabolical. Absolute free for all and took an age to process. Then security was just as bad. Very disorganised and slow and some of the staff there really need some better training. Out of ten I’d mark departing Grenoble as a fat zero. It was truly awful and requires some serious investment!

Sadly our flight could not land at Bristol due to bad weather so we were diverted to Gatwick, not good!
I expected the worst at Gatwick as the information provided by EasyJet on board about onward connection to Bristol was so sketchy. But to be fair once we’d got our luggage I can’t fault the EJ ground staff who very quickly organised all the passengers to three different coaches outside and we were very promptly boarded on on our way to Bristol.

Eventually got home about six hours later than anticipated and rather knackered.

Overall we had a fun time and some good skiing among a vary varied group ability wise. Would I return to LDA again? No. Not enough there to keep me interested and super happy for a whole week.

I’d read the other LDA thread which contained lots of opinion I now share regarding the skiing. We gave it a go this year as most of the group had been before and wanted familiarity as three of the group were still beginners and liked the Green runs at Crêtes and in town. But if the group goes again next year it won’t be to LDA or will go without me and Mrs Jirac.

Under 4 weeks until trip 2 to Serre Chevalier this time so hoping for some decent snow fall in the interim.

Hope anyone interested in LDA or there now finds the information in this thread useful. Happy skiing hols everyone!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone currently in LDA now, or very recently returned? Just wondering if the skiing has improved a little from the previous reports?
snow conditions
I returned on the 4th and no snow had arrived by then ...we were B&B in L2a and had a quiet week the skiing was ok but the slopes were very busy and if you hadnt booked a restuarant you didnt eat until very late ..my 4th visit over 13 years and the place has grown ...whether I would return is moot
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy