Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Praz de Lys - daytrip

Poster: A snowHead
Having had a cracking day out in the Grand Massif on my PdS season pass I was considering a trip to Praz de Lys. A couple of questions:

I think I’ve heard it’s at its best when it’s clear - so choose a day with decent visibility? And where to park? I’ll be driving up from the Les Gets side - is it obvious where to park?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few car parks, best to go to the far end of the village to park. It's a great little resort, enough skiing for a day for a competent skier. Very French, you may not hear much English spoken. One of my favourite small resorts, never had a problem with visibility as quite a few tree lined slopes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @MikeM - will see how things look next time I’m out. Most of it seems to be open according to the piste map.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deffo recommend Praz de Lys. Skied a day there once when repping in Flaine, then went back for a long weekend or so some time later. Pretty, underskied (although this would have been >20 years ago) and a surprising amount of little-used off piste, much of it tree-lined so great in poor vis.

More than enough for a day, maye three/four before you might start getting bored, I'd say. Depends on your personal threshold of course wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers @Chaletbeauroc - and good tip on the trees - will maybe give it a go next weekend.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We've visited often as odd days to ski there.

Parking is easy, right at the end of village as above and walk onto a lift. Or right in village centre roadside or village square (not on Wednesday as market in square) but very central to all facilities. Always parked in village as shops eating and piste office are easy access.

You can ski across to that end carpark area from village centre by either using drag lifts (a little infrastructure of them to "collect" visitors from outlying properties) OR look carefully at piste map as there's a blue piste route that crosses high street and follows down into the trees to pick up a direct access chair over there. Just a bit hidden in visual but easy when you find it.

All very relaxed in reality with a fair bit to ski and explore. Dont need to take food as its really good slopeside and in village, and part of going there for local cuisine at good price too.

Thoroughly worth a visit, hope you have a good day out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got caught there in site nomencluture "piste office" I wrote as PISTE SIDE Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely worth a day trip. Rubbish / slow lift system but some pretty runs and great views from the top.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy from embsay, we went round there from Les Gets on 24th January, I think. The road in the village was really full of holes so beware. It might be that it is full of snow by the time you go… that would be nice! The ticket office is on the right hand side as you drive through the village, and doesn’t open till 8.45. We always park in a little car park further round, by a hotel/cafe called the Grand d’Ourse, as we had the dog with us so popped back during the day to check and walk her, coffee, lunch etc. They put in a lot of snow making a few years ago. Some years we bought season passes there as well as Les Gets/Morzine season passes as we enjoyed the skiing there. Lots of lovely runs through the trees. And down to Sommand.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @Pamski - I think I recognise the name of the cafe as I “ride” up the Ramaz on my indoor bike sometimes and you can see it on the video.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella wrote:
Definitely worth a day trip. Rubbish / slow lift system but some pretty runs and great views from the top.

It used to be 17~19 Eurobucks for a day pass there.....don't know what you'd be expecting in lift investment for that rolling eyes

Different places, different attributes Very Happy a very nice step sideways out of the fast pace demands so many make.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
€35 now - rampant inflation! But free on season pass.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski3, for sure. I didn't have any expectations Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, yes min was with my season pass and OH was free anyway as of a certain age.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went there for a day on Saturday and it was great, especially when you think how cheap the lift pass is compared to other resorts. Very friendly lifties, very helpful at the lift pass office and the mountain restaurants weren't "remortaging the house" kind of prices.

Ok, there isn't the range of runs and the two resorts are small, but for one day it was perfect. We had a 3 day ski break this weekend and we didn't choose to go back there, but for 1 day it is definitely worth it. Favourite run - the black under the Roy chair in PdL. Had lunch at the Teepee in PdL (near the Ourse restaurant which looked very smart from the outside) - decent prices and nice (simple) food.

Thing to note is whether you drive to PdL or Sommand as the pass between the two is closed in winter. We were travelling from Geneva so Sommand was the obvious place to park (tons of free parking right at the bottom of the lifts/pass office), but narrow roads to get there.
snow report
Can anyone remind me of the name of the little cafe leading back to PdL at the bottom of a short red run that was always fun to sit at watching people slide down it on icy days. It had signed pictures of various rock bands on the wall who had frequented the place. Great hot chocolate with a dash of rum. Been racking my brains, was it The Yeti??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy