Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is 20th -27th April too late for France

Poster: A snowHead
We are considering a late April trip to either La Plagne or Les Arcs probably from 20th -27th April. We have never skied beyond March. Has anyone been this late and how was the snow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well Val Thorens is usually still fine then ( but has the edge in altitude).

Snow is usually corn bonanza but can be pow or hardpack refreeze (if the day stays cold or very windy).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm, I just read that the season closes 28th April, so looks like a non starter
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Hmm It's a lot of risk for the money, maybe we'll have to skip till next season
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went to les arcs for the last weekend of the season last year. The actual last day was a washout - rain, but up until then the skiing was good. We decided to go on the Sunday and flew out on the Tuesday.

As the resorts will be very quiet it will be easy to get accommodation so leave it to last minute before you book.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alan_1951 wrote:

erm, 27 is less than 28, no?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, I know but, when you get older, it's hard to do last minute. Blush
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alan_1951, Tignes will be open in to May if those dates are of interest.

https://en.tignes.net/ouvertures-station
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, Thanks will take a look. Other commitments interfere with life.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alan_1951, Val Thorens is still open then - it closes on 5th May.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you do the week before? You could join the EoSB and have the company of 100 or so other Snowheads.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It better be ok, we arrive in VT on 20th April...

And if it's no good that week, the Dutch will be pretty pi**ed as it's Dutch week the week after.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
alan_1951 wrote:

Yep! I don’t get it either.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val d'Isere.

Start early, before 9am.

Have a long lazy lunch. Enjoy the peace, food, drink, and sunshine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tignes or Val Thorens would be much better choices if you can't go any earlier. The very last week of a season can feel a bit "tail-endish", with things closing down.
ski holidays
alan_1951 wrote:

Val Thorens is always open until the Bank Holiday weekend in May. We have skied there a lot then and expect about 90% of the pistes to be open on closing day Very Happy .
snow report
davidof wrote:
alan_1951 wrote:

Great point! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
alan_1951 wrote:
@davidof, I know but, when you get older, it's hard to do last minute. Blush

What's the link between age and last minute? Am I missing something?

And as it's over 2 months away, how can it be last minute? Puzzled

We will be in Val Thorens for the last week of April and I have no concerns at all about the snow, based on a few previous visits Very Happy .
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
We went to les arcs for the last weekend of the season last year. The actual last day was a washout - rain, but up until then the skiing was good. We decided to go on the Sunday and flew out on the Tuesday.

As the resorts will be very quiet it will be easy to get accommodation so leave it to last minute before you book.

+1

We went for the last week of the season to La Plagne (also a last minute decision, due to the conditions looking so promising). It was in our opinion the best week of the season & we had a really great time snowHead We also did the first week of the season in December, a week in January & two in March - good, but not as good!. But there are no guarantees at that time of year. So yes, wait & see.
snow conditions
We’re heading out to Tignes on the same dates, I heard actually from locals, April was the best month of the season last year and it was amazing! I’m hoping it’ll be similar snowHead

I found 4/5* accommodation (that is also VFM) quite hard to come by though for our group of 7, even for those dates, so I wouldn’t leave it completely to last minute, especially if you’re picky on where your staying.
snow conditions
For 2 unfussy people there should be no problem finding accommodation.
latest report
Been to Paradiski (based Arc 1950) from April 15th onwards just before covid (2018?). Snow was great, one could ski down all the way to Villaroger (1200m; even backside has still been possible) and Montchavin (1250m). Not too many people, no reservations needed, everyone was relaxed and friendly (money for the saison already in the bank Very Happy ). Sunny and warm. Just great.
latest report
The thing is, sometimes late season is great, sometimes it isn't. Just like the beginning of the season, really. But I would say that the third week of April IS too late for many French resorts. Some will have closed several weeks before that.
snow report
tanvir786 wrote:
We’re heading out to Tignes on the same dates, I heard actually from locals, April was the best month of the season last year and it was amazing! I’m hoping it’ll be similar snowHead

I found 4/5* accommodation (that is also VFM) quite hard to come by though for our group of 7, even for those dates, so I wouldn’t leave it completely to last minute, especially if you’re picky on where your staying.

Fingers crossed! I wouldn't describe last year as typical though! Lack of snow in Feb and March, and then big dumps in early April. We tend to go in first week of April most years, and last year was more like Feb than April!
snow conditions
alan_1951 wrote:
We are considering a late April trip to either La Plagne or Les Arcs probably from 20th -27th April. We have never skied beyond March. Has anyone been this late and how was the snow.

I remember even by mid to late March 2011, it was barely possible to ski down to Courchevel 1850 (ribbons of artificial snow through the golf courses). It was a poor snow year, so it really depends on the year. I've also skied fantastic deep powder around 2000m altitude in the Alps as late as mid-May.
snow conditions
I usually go somewhere for the last week of the season - normally Saas-Fee or Engelberg. In recent times have skied at both in knee-deep fresh snow and others in glorious sunshine and spring snow. Most enjoyable trips of the various winters.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy