Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2025 European ski/snowboard trip advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hello internet,

In January, my girlfriend and I (who are based in the US) took a snowboard trip to Alpe D'Huez in France. We loved it: the long runs, piste-connected villages, the villages themselves, the food, that everything was less expensive than it would be here, etc. We want to take another trip to Europe next year and this time bring along a group of friends. The group would include both skiers and snowboarders, everyone in their mid 30s, abilities ranging from beginners to advanced, no one particularly interested in the park.

We'd be looking to spend 5 days (Mon-Fri) at a resort during the second or third week of January 2025. Factors I feel to be important include: snow sureness, crowds, resort expanse/vertical/terrain/snowboard friendliness, ski-in/ski-out options (or at least reasonably easy access to the lifts), village charm, and availability of non-ski activities.

I did some research (mainly through Powderhounds.com) and came up with eight resorts, and we are planning on a March Madness -esque voting process to select the winner (see attached image). I put in an embarrassing amount of effort into a powerpoint which outlines the pros and cons of each place as I see them, but I was wonder if anyone here had additional thoughts that I could share with the group before they cast their votes.

The resorts/areas in contention are Jungfrau, Grimentz-Zinal, Gastein, Silvretta-Montafon, St. Gervais-Saint Nicholas, Les Seybelles, Cervinia, and the Sella Ronda resorts

For anyone curious, here is a google drive link with a PDF of the powerpoint: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CVkaXKo8e2Z0Q2erdO4W-V89Bb7r5Jxl/view?usp=sharing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha! Very much enjoyed your presentation.
"3) British people are the Texans of Europe"-please explain!!!

Additional thoughts-tempting as it is- I'm not going to make other suggestions re resort choices as you'e obviously spent hours in your research!

Accommodation (no "s" in English English wink ) tends to book by the week Saturday to Saturday if it's self catered, though mid Jan is low season so hotels tend to be more flexible. French resorts favour self catered accommodation and fewer hotels, and it's probably the other way around in Austria and Italy. The food is best in Italy.

Resort elevation and snow sureness. Some resorts claim skiable piste mileage which only applies in absolutely optimum conditions.In France (where I've done most of my skiing), even with snowmaking, things can get bit "iffy" between 1000m and 1400m. The treeline hovers around 1800m-2000m depending on which bit of the Alps you are in.

You don't need your passport to ski between Cervinia and Zermatt (even though there is now apparently an official border crossing as pedestrians can now get over by cable car). The Matterhorn as seen from the Swiss side is quite something. And yes-the link does suffer from weather related closures from time to time-it can get pretty wild up there! It's the most snow sure of the ski areas you have picked.
I'd say, albeit from one visit a few years ago, that Grimentz is prettier than Zinal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@no_Amoeba_227, welcome to the forum.

You have come up with an interesting collection of resorts, real choices for your team since they all have their own characters. Those I know would all offer plenty for a 5 day visit.

This being Snowheads I am sure some people will suggest further possibilities but you will also get some useful thoughts on your current short list, especially on how board-friendly they are.

Traditionally January would be snow sure everywhere but the last couple of years have seen less than ideal conditions. However all resorts will get as much as possible skiable/boardable regardless, and planning now all you can do is cross your fingers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I feel personally affronted by point 3] British people are the Texans of Europe - but it's also accurate.
i.e. loud, brash, wee wee-heads. that the rest of cultured America/Europe views with bemusement. They also inhabit a state that left/wants-to-leave the union.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@no_Amoeba_227, when I read your wish list my first thought was Dolomites and the Sella Ronda, and that's on your list! So that would be my recommendation on this one.

If you want ski in/ski out you're most likely to find that in somewhere like Corvara, but i'd probably look for someone in Selva if I were you and not worry as much about ski in/ski out, but you might also find it there too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
heh - also looks like P155-heads (i.e. drunkards) was auto-corrected to wee wee-heads by the forum, which is a lovely touch.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
I feel personally affronted by point 3] British people are the Texans of Europe - but it's also accurate.
i.e. loud, brash, wee wee-heads. that the rest of cultured America/Europe views with bemusement. They also inhabit a state that left/wants-to-leave the union.

The dutch seem to be fairly similar to the Brits in resort too! Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!

And sorry about that jab in there with the Texas/England comparison (forgot that was in there Embarassed ). I will say, the only reason title of most boisterous group at the resort did not go to my countrymen is that we didn't see any Americans there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@no_Amoeba_227, no offence taken! I'd say Alpe d'Huez is quite a "lively" place with a decent nightlife, so I get where you are coming from-it's the sort of resort beloved by larger younger groups of Brits who like to ski all day and then party into the night.

Interestingly, this winter I've heard more American accents on the slopes and in the Trois Vallees resorts than ever before. They were all very enthusiastic about the skiing-citing cost, food, and particularly with reference to the 3Vs, how blown away they were by the sheer scale of the ski area. (I'm not suggesting you add the 3Vs to your carefully crafted list, as I assume you have considered the area and discounted it...but if you haven't..just sayin'..)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@no_Amoeba_227, welcome to Snowheads

From your list, I've been to Les Sybelles: that was several years ago, I haven't been back and have no plans to do so. There are other places I'd ski ahead of there from your list. I won't suggest adding more though I can think of at least three other areas off the top of my head, at least one of which has already been mentioned

I'd give one piece of advice - remember that Europe is not like North America, once you venture off piste you are responsible for your own safety. The piste patrol will problbay come and rescue you if you get into difficulty, but if so you may have to pay for the privilege. You certainly shouldn't rely on on anything you can see being safe to ski, the way that you can freely roam within the ski area in NA resorts. If you want off-piste, you should seriously consider hiring a guide.

And I'll ask one question (or make one point at least) - it seems an AWFULLY long way to come for five days skiing, are you sure that's enough?!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did consider Trois Vallees. Should I give it another look? It made the Sweet 16 but got edged out in the Elite 8. No great reason. I had wondered if maybe it was just a bit too big/busy/corporate? And it's on the Epic pass now (likely one reason for all the Americans you saw/heard), and I have a mental block of sorts when it comes to the idea of supporting Vail resorts in any way -- the impact they have had on American ski resorts has not been great in my opinion, and it does not appear that they have any plans to stop acquiring new places. They have even started in a bit across the pond
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In response to nbt's comments/question:

Thanks for the heads up about Les Sybelles. It definitely is one of the ones that excited me less, and I have heard some mixed reviews

yeah, the off-piste thing is interesting. Keeps the snow fresher after storms, but I definitely almost rode into a stream that I didn't see until the last second. lol.

I definitely hear you on the 5 days. But when we went to Alpe D'Huez, I found that 5 days (6-7 hours per days) was about all my muscles and joints could handle. And taking into account the travel days and the adjustment to jet lag, it felt about right.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd take 3V (or Paradiski, or Tignes / Val d'Isere, or even Monterosa Ski if you're only doing 5 days) over Les Sybelles any day. In most of the places you list, you will barely scratch the surface after 5 days. When we do NA, we normally do a 2 week trip and ski most days but perhaps not every day - it depends how keen you are. For us, we go to ski, so I ski every day. If you have skiing locally, it may be less important to maximise ski time when you're away, but it's a long way for me to travl and lot of money to spend notto make the most of it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@no_Amoeba_227, my impression was that the Americans in the 3V were not using Epic passes, but had paid for a ski area passes straight up -when I spoke to a couple they were commenting on the daily rate and how much cheaper it was to fly to France, particularly as a family, and ski there. Vail resorts don't own any of the 3V resorts, so if you come here you are spending money that goes to french companies and businesses, some are larger corporations (Compagnie des Alpes is the big one I think) plus also smaller businesses-ski shops, restaurants etc. Though I guess there must be some sort of financial deal to allow 3V season pass holders to ski in the Epic resorts and vice versa. The number of people who do it are likely to be small.

Is the 3V too big/busy/commercial? Mid Jan is a good time to come-though there will still be plenty of people about. Lifts are good and fast and you would rarely have to queue, and even if you do, it would be a matter of 5 mins.
Each valley is different, as is each resort. We have a place that is a mile outside St Martin de Belleville-probably the least commercial feeling resort in the entire area and also probably the smallest (around 3000 beds). I see the first photo on the Powderhounds 3V webpage is a view of the off piste from the top of the mountain just above our village. But you've been to Alpe d'Huez which is a pretty big, busy, commercial resort (32000 beds accruing to google). The bigger 3v resorts Meribel, Courchevel, Les Menuires and Val Thorens-range in size from about 26k beds to around 40k.

But now I'm distracting and confusing you!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:

Not really fair to compare Texas with the UK or EU.

Texas is a staggering 2-4 times richer per-head than the EU and UK.

Texas today is the 8th largest economy on planet Earth, and, despite having a -60% smaller population, Texas is on track to overtake the UK economy in the 2030s.

Texas is simply playing in a whole different league. There's just no comparison.
snow report
Resort suggestions...

1. Zermatt
2. Verbier
3. Courchevel 1850
snow report
Your presentation is amazing. In fact, I suspect you are me in disguise (I am also the tour director of a 12-17 pax syndicate). Oddly enough, I've been to none of your Elite Eight (other than Zermatt 30 years ago, wearing jeans, rear-entry boots, and sunglasses with those leather glare-protector wraparounds). I have no real help to offer, but chapeau sir.

Anyway, I know you need to add teams to your bracket like you need a hole in your head, maybe a play-in/first four game? Any of the three Euro resorts I've reported on in my signature are worth a shout, and North Americans would find my review of Whistler amusing for the contrast. Busyness in late January won't be a problem no matter where you go.

And 3Vs (about which I have a wholly (ir)rational love) aren't part of Vail, they just have a deal with them where a season pass at one is worth a week at the other (in fact, I used an EPIC pass exclusively in Europe one year, pretty good value, but, you know, evil).
ski holidays
Remember in Karate Kid 3, where they give Daniel a pass straight to the final against Barnes ?

Daniel is 3V in this.
Seriously.

The 3V is amazing and has loads to offer and should be in your list.
Either Wildcard 3V (Danielsan) to the final. Or sub out Les Sybelles.
ski holidays
no_Amoeba_227 wrote:
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone!

And sorry about that jab in there with the Texas/England comparison (forgot that was in there Embarassed ). I will say, the only reason title of most boisterous group at the resort did not go to my countrymen is that we didn't see any Americans there.

Don't worry, a lot brits abroad on ski holidays a d***heads Laughing There's a reason we have a reputation for it among Europe.
snow conditions
@no_Amoeba_227, If you want a big ski area and like 'Texans' try St Anton.

From your list, I'd choose the Dolomites but which actual village is quite important as some of them are very sleepy
snow conditions
Dyrlac, I just took a look at your resort reviews. Amazing. Very well done.

And UtahGetMeTwo, as much as I love a good Karate Kid reference (and if you don't watch Cobra Kai, I at least half heartedly recommend it) . . . a free pass to the finals?!? It also seems hard to imagine the biggest resort in the world being Daniel in this scenario, though I do get where you're coming from. Perhaps, as you also suggested, and assuming no one in my group feels strongly to the contrary, I can sub 3V in the place of Les Seybelles.

To everyone, thank you so much. I really appreciate all the advice. I seems like you have a nice little online community here, which seems rare and worthy of some recognition given that it seems rarer than it should be.
latest report
@no_Amoeba_227, If you do sub the 3V in favour of Les Sybelles-the next question is-which 3V resort would suit you and your party-that probably requires another powerpoint presentation Very Happy .

With a group of friends -how many are you likely to be-have you thought about the sort of accommodation you would want?
snow conditions
If I was to have two brackets/country

France: Val' D'Isere/ Trois valleys
Austria: St. Anton/ Ischgl

Have not skied in Italy/Switzerland
snow report
no_Amoeba_227 wrote:

The resorts/areas in contention are Jungfrau, Grimentz-Zinal, Gastein, Silvretta-Montafon, St. Gervais-Saint Nicholas, Les Seybelles, Cervinia, and the Sella Ronda resorts

Jungfrau: stunning spot, on my wishlist, but $$$$

Grimentz- Zinal: too quiet, not big enough

Gastein: Bad Gastein doesn't really have village charm, disjointed ski areas

Silvretta: lovely spot, but scattered ski areas

St Gervais: great views of Mt Blanc, but probably too low to be snowsure

Les Sybelles: soulless modern ski stations

Cervinia: amazing ski area, but resort is ugly

Sella Ronda: Selva would be my choice for many reasons, but snowboarders might moan about flat spots and lack of off-piste.
snow conditions
@no_Amoeba_227, as my group's organiser and after looking at your doc, all I can say is it's awesome and I hang my head in shame!

Only Jungfrau out of your choices is a good shout but way too expensive. I would seriously consider St Anton or Saalbach in Austria and Val d'Isere/ Tignes in France. All big resorts with lots of kms great nightlife and apres and when it snows they are awesome for off piste. Try and make it a sat to sat affair as thats how it works in europe mostly.
ski holidays
@no_Amoeba_227,
If you are coming that far only look at the large, fully linked high ski areas to be snow sure. I'd recommend two weeks, taking a day or two off if your legs are not up to it.
Resorts? Zermatt-Cervina/Breuil-Valtournenche (Switzerland & Italy): Verbier (Switzerland); 3 Valleys; Paradiski; Tignes-Val d'Isere (aka Espace Killy) (latter 3 all France).
Which airport(s) are you considering to fly into/out off?
During the season there is a direct train from Paris to the train stations servicing the three French resorts above at the weekends, and they are close enough together for day trips between them (plus La Rosiere and Ste Foy).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy