Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

23-30 March - resorts nr Turin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
23-30 March - flights booked to Turin.

I'm going to leave it late as the flights are refundable Avios jobbies, but i wanted to understand what the current conditions are like. Clearly a LOT can change in the next month or so! I think mainly i like looking at the options more than the holiday lol. But i wondered if it was worth ruling some places out already?!

We were looking at Cervinia, but reading the thread, it looks like it's had a tough start. I've been to Courmayeur and La Thuile three times, so not keen to return. Sestriere etc - how's that area holding up? I've looked at teh Champouloc and Gressoney area, but concerned it looks a little small?

Penny for thoughts. Also, bonus for car hire help - looks like i can get hire with snow chains but not snow tyres, unless i pay Hertz a fortune.

I have 7 and 8 yos in tow...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Serre Chevalier is worth a look. Briancon is the nearest, and main town. A charming and old fortified town. Otherwise, a bit further along the valley is Chantemerle which is also quite charming. I don’t think, from what I’ve read, that they’ve had the best conditions thus far but much could change.

There are a lot of options for all levels of skiers. It’s about an hour and three quarters by car to Briancon and only another 15 mins to Chantemerle.

I’d definitely recommend Les Marmottes in Chantemerle, as a place to stay.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Serre Che is indeed worth a look.
Don't know how the Maurienne valley is looking but I've been there at Easter before and had good snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both. I did wonder about crossing the border.

Although what’s the road like and do car hire allow cross border still? My old man had some issues recently on that although perhaps they lied to him!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was a few years ago, but I had zero issues hiring a car at Turin airport and driving into France. The road is decent and, as I recall, only a very slight snowy issue around Montgenevre. I don’t recall whether or not the car had winter tyres and I didn’t hire chains….which in hindsight may have been a dubious decision….that said, I didn’t need them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There never used to be a problem with cross border rental from Turin, but it's a few years since I've done it.
When I looked at the possibility from Milan last year there wasn't a problem.
The road is excellent.If going to Maurienne it is autostrada all the way to the Frejus tunnel and pretty straightforward roads thereafter.
If going to Serre Che you need to go over the Col de Montgenevre after leaving the autostrada but the road is pretty good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cervinia will be the best option all things considered. It normally does not get a huge amount of snow but snowmaking and altitude makes it a reliable bet the later you go. Bormio also a good option if you don’t mind a smaller area. Monterosa if conditions are good.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Italian rules demand winter tyres or chains on those routes (even the autostrade) so really the hire companies shouldn't be giving people cars with neither.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I drove from Turin to Montgenevre last week. The road is fine, unless you need to drive in the middle of night in snow storm. Make sure you notify car rental about border crossing in advance. Some of them charge a fee, some of them won't allow it.
You should also consider Montgenevre. Village is at 1860m, so quite high. Not much vertical and old lifts, but skiing area is pretty, and with 6 days ski pass you get option to ski Serre Chevalier, Via Lattea, Alp D'uez, Les 2 Alps and Puy Saint Vincent. I went to Puy Saint Vincent and thought skiing was better than in Montgenevre.

Cervinia would be safest option snow wise, but I was there in late March last year and skiing was very limited due to wind/snow/fog.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pretty sure all the cars hired from Turin come with winter tyres and snow chains. I always choose one of the In Terminal suppliers. Have only noticed one of them saying in the small print about charging extra for crossing into France (can remember which one though - sorry). Normally book through vipcars.com for best price!

Frejus tunnel is an extra cost to factor in if you go to Maurianne Valley (about €68 for a 7 day return now!) and I think some of the roads on the French side are still closed because of the landslide last year.

Montgenèvre seems to get the best of the snow in the Via Lattea, but stay in Italy for the food!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Origen wrote:
Italian rules demand winter tyres or chains on those routes (even the autostrade) so really the hire companies shouldn't be giving people cars with neither.

You should get one or the other from the airport locations in N Italy, but most companies will only provide chains and a few do charge extra, so check they are included in the price.

I've been given a car with winter tyres without paying extra, but normally it is a cost option where they are available, not all companies offer the option.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Standard Milan and Turin car hire is pack of chains in the boot (provided you've ticked the "winterisation" box) but not winter tyres unless your going for a premium car.

However unlikely to be an issue, i.e. you almost certainly aren't going to have to fit the chains, as driving to most resorts is valley floor autostrada for most of the way, particularly late March, and if you do, then you do, watch a your tube video or two if weather looks dodgy, so at least you have half an idea what your doing.

its 7 weeks away so far to early to fret about snow conditions, but higher the better in late season anyway. I'd happily ski Monterosa for a week "Champouloc and Gressoney area" its not "small". Via Lattea is clearly bigger, despite them never opening anything like all the pistes. The Italian's are pretty good at making and preserving snow.
Cervinia is big if you may the premium for International links to Zermatt.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We initially looked at Via Lattea too due to distance to Turin. However after reading some comments about piste/lift closures and checking stats on onthesnow website we switched to 3 valleys (around 1hour extra drive). Hiring car with Alamo at Turin airport, it allows crossing the border free of charge. Cost wise it worked out more less the same.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the comments. Spoke to a friend at the weekend he was quite bullish about getting winter tyres on hire cars in Turin Airport and he has gone to Serre Chev a couple of times with no issues...

I'll keep an eye on the weather.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy