Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Easter Help

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all -

We are a family of 3, our daughter will be 7 during this years ski trip.
Last couple of years we've gone outside of school holidays.
we can go skiing during any week from 23rd March to 13th April.

Initially I thought 23rd would be the quietest week as not all children will have broken up for Easter, however, all of these weeks seem
a) Really expensive accommodation prices
b) Accommodation is getting booked up quickly

Has anyone been skiing during this time?
How busy is it? Any resorts you could recommend since its late season?

We've looked at loads of options at Tignes and it just looks like its going to be too expensive for what we're getting, so we might need to look elsewhere - maybe VT?
Keen to go where we can get Evolution 2 lessons as so far she's been with that ski school and she's working her way through the badges Very Happy

Any advice/experience would be appreciated!
Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These days we always ski at Easter. I'd recommend it.
Last year we had true winter conditions for most of the week in Tignes. It can be soft snow if the weather is warm - but that's also a pleasure.
Of course I recommend going high - Tignes and VT are good choices.
I've never found Easter to be that busy. It's a good time to go.
You may already struggle to get ski lessons in true school holidays - at least for morning lessons.
A couple of years ago I picked up late booked accomodation in Arc 2000 (a couple of weeks before departure) at a really great price. It depends if you want certainty or are prepared to gamble a bit. I'm sure that if you pick your week you'll find accomodation somewhere high.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lauralime, I've skied almost every Easter, even whan its been late in April, for the last 30+ years so I'll try and answer some of your questions.

From mid march to the end of April accommodation prices start dropping even when there are school holidays (the bulk of which don't start until April 6th). It is the time of year that seems to matter most not whether or not schools are on holiday.

With over a month of the season to go March 23rd is IMHO a good time to go. My major concern would be sun burn.

Evolution 2 operates over many resorts and I have noticed a bigish pressence in Vallandry. Vallandry is a good resort for this time of year so I will base my reccomendations on there.

There appears plenty of good priced accommodation. A very quick glance bought up this 2 room apartment for €428 https://en.peisey-vallandry.com/booking/lonzagne-n13-5-sleeps.html?&cid=3&action=result&resa_action=result . OK it's a fair walk to the first list (250m) but a good price. For €383 you can get a 4 person studio in Arc 2000 which at 2150m is about as snow sure as it gets.

Our experience of Les Arcs is that it is pretty quiet from when the schools go back in March, getting quieter and quieter until the end of the season.

ps we are heading out to Les Arc around March 25th for a couple weeks.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-02-24 13:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's quite late now for booking ski lessons for the Easter holidays - don't delay if you have particular needs, or you'll miss the boat.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@lauralime, could you expand on where you are looking for accommodation and what sort of prices you are seeing?

For 3 I would be looking at small apartments and expecting around 600 Euros depending on the quality.

My first port of call is the tourist information online booking service.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
well we've booked through ski independence before and then directly, typically with montagnettes/CGH properties.
but for years we've had good deals as we can go quiet weeks!

Do you have any links, not really sure where to look?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, thank you - I'll take a look at that. We are returning to Tignes as my daughter loves the lagoon and water slides for after skiing!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Prices seem to relate more to European holiday timings. We have an earlier holiday than a lot of schools here and got a great deal on the 23rd March week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lauralime,

https://en.tignes.net/holidays/accommodation/booking

Click on the on the button that says something like agencies and central reservations - then click on reserve and do your search
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see prices for w/c 23rd March for 510 Euros upwards
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@lauralime, we also generally go at Easter most years. For self catering accommodation, you should find that there are apartments available and at better prices than Feb holiday time. However, the best value places (i.e. good size, good location, good price) tend to get booked up early, especially in the high snow sure resorts. I sometimes book 8-12mths in advance. I have booked in the last couple of months before, but in somewhere like VT you could end up with a much smaller apartment for your budget.

I would have thought March 23rd would have avoided a lot of these issues being outside school hols.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 6-02-24 15:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is equivalent for Les Menuires that I have used before

https://en.locationlesmenuires.com/apartments-chalets.html?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've booked for Easter a few days before going on occasion but usually book mid-Feb.

Never had any issues - always options.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You'll certainly find accommodation but whilst I don't want to nag, as you have very specific ski school requirements it would be wise to fix that up asap.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Origen wrote:
You'll certainly find accommodation but whilst I don't want to nag, as you have very specific ski school requirements it would be wise to fix that up asap.

Yep that would be more important and also getting accommodation close ish to the meeting point.
ski holidays
@lauralime,
Look at Tignes.co.uk
snow report
Quote:

I would have thought March 23rd would have avoided a lot of these issues being outside school hols.

Friends in Cardiff are going then as their school Easter break starts early. Not sure if that's the same for all Welsh schools? Still better than it being all UK schools though.
snow report
In many resorts the dates of British school hols will make little or no difference.
snow conditions
You can use Airbnb and Vrbo also. This place is €917 for that week with 2 double beds.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1083332124856644505?adults=2&children=1&check_in=2024-03-23&check_out=2024-03-30&source_impression_id=p3_1707249554_Cgwljr%2F8B67%2FCDQr&previous_page_section_name=1000&federated_search_id=0f063394-3a92-457d-a313-b4f5e43d5357

If you're fine with sofa beds/bunk beds you can get places a couple hundred euros less than that
snow report
Thanks loads all of you! I’ve mailed evo2 to check availability for those dates
We’ll have a look through all the links and try and tie up flights etc!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy