Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you recommend me a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
I have an old Aldi helmet (medium 55-59cm) which fits well but time for an upgrade to MIPS
I have line miner Oakley goggles that need to fit with the helmet.
Not looking for fancy names etc just does the job and value for money.
Any recs? Any good sites to look on?
Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Without trying them together, you'll not be able to judge goggles etc, no direct experience of those two together from me.

https://www.giro.co.uk/products/giro-ratio-mips-snow-helmet a good general supplier with direct purchase of decent product.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Giro, Sweet, POC, Smith.
All good brands with great quality helmets but the best helmet is the one that fits you best. Different models in ranges fit differently too so the brand isn't always a reliable guide to fit. You really have to go and just try on various ones and see what works for you. Likewise with goggles.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. I might have to order and try on with my goggles and then send back if no good as off on Saturday.
Have seen some good deals on Giro ones
I suppose I was asking does anyone have a helmet that fits well with Oakley goggles?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helmets, are like jackets, trousers, gloves, goggles etc.

If you're blinded by brands and advertising, you can convince yourself that you need a two or three hundred quid helmet.

Otherwise you can get something perfectly adequate at Aldi, Sports Direct, Go Outdoors etc wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Walk round the shops when you get to resort and try on as many as you can until you find a good fit. You will likely be more successful with the fit that just ordering at random on the internet, and while it might cost you a little extra in cash (though not necessarily, the sales are starting), you will make savings in time and effort researching, ordering and returning helmets that don't fit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree, going somewhere with helmets to try with your head and your goggles is likely to be more productive than random online order. As far as I know all goggles are made to the same CE standards, cheaper brands work perfectly well. Decathlon is usually reliable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet wrote:
Walk round the shops when you get to resort and try on as many as you can until you find a good fit. You will likely be more successful with the fit that just ordering at random on the internet, and while it might cost you a little extra in cash (though not necessarily, the sales are starting), you will make savings in time and effort researching, ordering and returning helmets that don't fit.

This! Absolutely!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i replaced my ten 12 year old helmet with one from decathlon with the mips system. its only a thin bit of plastic but is meant to protect you from a impact better, my goggles were decathlon so they fitted fine
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No, not blinded by brands (as said in original post) but wanted to get one with MIPS. My aldi one fits fine but no MIPS.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robs1 wrote:
i replaced my ten 12 year old helmet with one from decathlon with the mips system. its only a thin bit of plastic but is meant to protect you from a impact better, my goggles were decathlon so they fitted fine

Thanks will look at decathlon.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robs1, Being a bit pedantic, it doesn't protect you from the impact better, but allows the helmet to move/twist without moving the head as much, reducing that part of a crash.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My first helm was a Bolle something but was a bit bulky and not very nice looking then bought a Bern Macon Hard hat which still is the most comfortable helm I ever used. I still have it but last year I went with an Oakley Mod 1 Mips (size large my head is 59cms) for extra safety and its comfortable and my large goggles fit well. But yeah you need to try many on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely try. I noticed that the only brands that really fit my head shape are Smith and Bern: other rub at the front, so i clearly have a weirdly oval bonce.

I prefer the look of Bern. Finally junked my old and battered, matt black Bern Watts for a Bern Watts 2.0 MIPS at around half price in a pre-Christmas sale, in a fetching sand colour. I like it!

Fits my Oakley Line Miner L goggles well, but I'll actually be skiing with a set of Red Bull Spect Magnetron goggles, also bought cheaply pre season. I like the magnetic lens fitment, and they were almost as cheap as buying a new lens for my badly scratched Oakleys...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The variant in fit in snow sport’s helmets is, in my opinion, somewhat exaggerated and while there’ll of course be differences with manufacturer and individual head shape; compared to say, motorcycle helmets, it’s far more standardised.

But yes, fit is key. So if it doesn’t fit, it isn’t going to work for you. However, if fit is fine, then I do find spending a few quid does make quite the difference in terms of comfort and quality of lid that will enhance the experience of wearing it. Sure, cheap will do a job and will still likely hit a safety standard, but it’s the added extras that provide that value.

Most top brands, discount website from our French friends and a budget of a £100 or so; should set you more than right.
snow conditions
MorningGory wrote:
@robs1, Being a bit pedantic, it doesn't protect you from the impact better, but allows the helmet to move/twist without moving the head as much, reducing that part of a crash.

Ok thats interesting, the info I was given wasnt correct then, hopefully it wont ever be needed to be tested out.
snow report
MorningGory wrote:

It does though, as it comes into effect from an impact and is designed to help redirection rotational motion away from the head. An impact is precisely what it is designed to protect you more from.

In response to the OP, the last time I bought a helmet I had to try 4 different ones on to find the right fit and thankfully that fitted perfectly with the goggles I had at the time. You can of course order 4 different ones online and return 3..!
snow report
Coming from being a beanie wearing mofo for years it took me a long time to convert; but also to find a helmet that is comfy / not sweaty but primarily lightweight.
There's lots out there that weight a ton and have significant padding / silly irrelevant features etc.

I settled on a K2 Route for sometime (one of the lightest lids on the market) - very basic / no liner so you wear it with a thin beanie if cold etc. Has a low brow so you need to check it with your goggles to ensure the best fit. The boa system is really good however and when wearing it you dont realise your actually wearing a helmet at all . .

Have since 'upgraded' to a Salomon Mountain Lab which is another lightweight multi sport affair - a few more features and a removable merino liner but equally as comfy and works better with a range of more oversized goggles . .

Main thing is to try before you buy
snow conditions
<laughs> I had a Salomon Mountain Lab for a few years, very light. This year I switched to a K2 Route, because it was different and also very light. To me weight is the key thing.

Quote:
[MIPS is] only a thin bit of plastic
yes, it's to reduce friction, not to absorb energy, so thickness isn't relevant.
snow conditions
Just bought a Giro Neo to replace my 13/14yo Salomon Ranger. Very light and fits fine with my Smith and Oakley goggles.
latest report
@Snowysarah, Sweet Protection. Some half price models here:
https://www.sportpursuit.com/products?bid=147&type=Helmets
snow conditions
@phil_w, Weight is 100% key for me - which do you prefer?

Have 2x K2 Routes (bought another colourway cos I liked the helmet so much but have never worn it) but dinked the original when a numpty in France smashed the chairlift bar down on my head (a good enough reason to be wearing a helmet in the first place)

For my noggin the Route is a better fit than the Salomon and the boa system is better . . .however I do like the liner on the Salomon and negates any beanie wearing nonsense which at my age I'm probably a bit too oldskool for.

One thing I do find useful on both helmets are the clips to accommodate headtorches (for climbing etc) - works brilliantly with goggle straps and means they never slip off the back of the helmet when not in use / resting on the brow of the helmet . . .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy