Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Authorities warn people not to wear expensive ski jackets in lawless Britain

Poster: A snowHead
Transport for London chief warned that youngsters travelling on the Tube were being targeted for North Face and Canada Goose coats - with an 83 per cent rise in the number of thefts recorded from 2,935 in 2022 to 5,378 in 2023.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12916253/The-rise-Canada-Goose-coat-muggings-Warning-crooks-targeting-owners-1-700-jackets-selling-profit-Lawless-Britains-latest-luxury-items.html

Spyda and Arc'teryx are not sought after so snowheads should be okay.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guessing they won’t recognize the antique value of my 25 year old Couloir…
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
North Face are not the brand they used to be ......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I must admit that when I see TNF being used as street wear my automatic assumption is that it's counterfeit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only in black. Colours are ok.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm worried Shocked - if I go on the tube in my one piece TNF suit will I be getting off in my underwear Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cover/Take the labels off, the jackets should still work the same. Oh…..but thats why they buy them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A few months ago, while travelling on a bus, my son and his friend were approached by a small gang of teenagers demanding that they give up their jackets. The jackets weren't even branded! Luckily nothing came off it but it's not a trivial issue.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's grim daahn sarf... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best to wear deeply unfashionable trainers too, I guess. I feel quite safe. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought this was a Stanton thread from the title Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Who wears a £1700 Canada Goose jacket on public transport?
Who wears a £1700 Canada Goose jacket full stop Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Expensive watches have long been targeted, haven't they? I shall never understand why anyone pays more than £30 for a watch, but if you do, I guess you really need people to see it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I looked at some North Face gear in a local department store (it used to be House of Fraser but has been taken over) and it all looked really cheap and tacky. Next door in Blacks the all North Face gear looked like the usual half decent stuff. Maybe they have a chav range and a normal range?!

I only travel on the train in my Stone Island gear so should be fine!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Expensive watches have long been targeted, haven't they? I shall never understand why anyone pays more than £30 for a watch, but if you do, I guess you really need people to see it?

I imagine for much the same reason people spend more than £30 on jewellery, etc
snow report
Garfield wrote:

I have a £1,150 Canada Goose coat - real investment piece, full length puffer coat. I got a voucher that covered almost half of it. I'm determined to wear it as much as possible.
A colleague told me that in Dublin, the young drug runners (the 16/17 year olds) have nothing better to spend their cash on, so it's they who are wearing the Canada Goose jackets, and much like happened Burberry, the brand value will decline.
latest report
Rois1980 wrote:
Garfield wrote:

I have a £1,150 Canada Goose coat - real investment piece, full length puffer coat. I got a voucher that covered almost half of it. I'm determined to wear it as much as possible.
A colleague told me that in Dublin, the young drug runners (the 16/17 year olds) have nothing better to spend their cash on, so it's they who are wearing the Canada Goose jackets, and much like happened Burberry, the brand value will decline.

An investment???? Do you think wearing it getting all sweaty and dirty will increase it's value?
latest report
@oldsnowy, I've never understood clothing as investments.
snow report
japes1275 wrote:
I looked at some North Face gear in a local department store (it used to be House of Fraser but has been taken over) and it all looked really cheap and tacky. Next door in Blacks the all North Face gear looked like the usual half decent stuff. Maybe they have a chav range and a normal range?!

I have seen Spyder stuff in TK-Maxx, so I suspect they may have two ranges..
snow conditions
oldsnowy wrote:
Rois1980 wrote:
Garfield wrote:

An investment???? Do you think wearing it getting all sweaty and dirty will increase it's value?

It's a bit like the expensive handbag argument. Generally coats that I have worn have a lifespan. If I get 5 years out of it, that's fairly good. If I buy a more expensive coat that will last me for all my days, then price per wear falls dramatically, and I save money overall. £200 coat every five years vs £1,150 for hopefully the next 40 if I'm spared saves me at least £500, not taking inflation into account.
snow report
Loads of fakes out there, imagine being stabbed for market tat.
ski holidays
Rois1980 wrote:
oldsnowy wrote:
Rois1980 wrote:
Garfield wrote:

It's a bit like the expensive handbag argument. Generally coats that I have worn have a lifespan. If I get 5 years out of it, that's fairly good. If I buy a more expensive coat that will last me for all my days, then price per wear falls dramatically, and I save money overall. £200 coat every five years vs £1,150 for hopefully the next 40 if I'm spared saves me at least £500, not taking inflation into account.

Sounds a good theory but I suspect you’ll get fed up with it and want to get something more in fashion within 5 years.
Maybe it’s also time to give up those flared trousers to the local charity shop?
ski holidays
Who would wear a down jacket in the UK climate Laughing
fine for China or Canada but you would need to know it was going to be dry. Down gets ruined in the damp.
Brushed pile or fleece recommended or a poor second, a synthetic insulation that performs when wet. snowHead
latest report
albob wrote:

I have seen Spyder stuff in TK-Maxx, so I suspect they may have two ranges..

In the case of Spyder, I think it might be more that they do random significant discounts and offloading on stock they are minded to discontinue or simply have surplus of. I bought a Spyder 'bandit' full zip fleece for about 1/3rd of the usual price - it was a different colour than others selling at full price (£150). It is now back to being sold at full price! All seems a bit random but maybe explains why you might be able to get occasional deals in TK Maxx.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 3-01-24 15:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Spider aren't above selling some stiff in Costco so they certainly know how to be a pricepoint brand. Canada Goose is a bit like Moncler in my mind. Expensive but not actually serious outdoor wear.
latest report
Spyder make certain products/ranges for discounters.
snow report
Sorry but the reverse snobbery here is astonishing. The same argument can be applied to literally anything that is expensive. You might as well also sneer at nice cars, jewellery, watches, shoes, food, wine, furniture, houses? Which is ironic for a forum promoting an expensive hobby.
snow conditions
japes1275 wrote:

Got to get the badge in. Bosh.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@puddingdo, Your comparisons are way off. For example, a lot of expensive cars are test-beds for new tech, or a way to bring expensive tech into the mainstream using first adopters. Not to mention the tangible improvement to performance, handling, and build-quality (model dependent). A Moncler jacket is just a branded jacket with no performance benefit over something a 1/4 of its price. It's a waste of money.
snow conditions
@puddingdo, some things have their high cost as their primary advantage, which is perhaps what people are laughing at here. An expensive house might have a wonderful location or beautiful floors. An expensive ski holiday might be hugely enjoyable. As might an expensive wine. Finely made expensive sheepskin gloves will be warm and and comfy. But to value something ONLY because it is expensive and has the right label is laughable.
ski holidays
Are Canada Goose coats not designed for extreme weather? The thought of somebody wearing extreme weather clothing in England, a country known for its mild and miserable weather, is rather amusing. A bit like driving a Defender in central London.
snow report
My C&A gear appears to be so retro it’s now desirable Toofy Grin
snow report
Aren't they virtually a pest in the UK, so why so expensive?
snow report
Canada Goose Week in the PDS is a bit like the Appleby Horse Fair. Lock it up or lose it
ski holidays
GeorgeSmiley wrote:
Are Canada Goose coats not designed for extreme weather? The thought of somebody wearing extreme weather clothing in England, a country known for its mild and miserable weather, is rather amusing. A bit like driving a Defender in central London.

They are designed for extreme weather, yes, but my coat very considerately has straps on the inside so I can wear it on my back like a rucksack if I get too warm Laughing
latest report
Was going to buy a Canada Goose, but putting it on the shop - I nearly fainted due to the warmth. We just dont get the cold weather for them in the UK.
snow report
japes1275 wrote:

They've been doing that for 30 years! It's not new.
NF puffa's were fashionable in early 90s rave culture and the brand became cult then mainstream and NF couldn't resist selling into that market. They've always continued with technical gear as well.
I had one of the fairly early Lhotse Mountain Jackets which I bought for mountaineering (perhaps the first of the really high spec goretex shell jackets, the ones with bold block colour and black patches) and it became hazardous to wear it on the streets of Manchester!
snow report
My son told me when he was in school that a black North Face jacket and black Nikes were the mark of - what we call - "schemies" in this neck of the woods.

I have always assumed similar with Canada Goose gear - that it appears to be worn by a certain type of person and is therefore either stolen or counterfeit......
snow report
Will i be safe in my Trespass Jacket and D2B salopettes on the Northern Line.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Spider aren't above selling some stiff in Costco so they certainly know how to be a pricepoint brand. Canada Goose is a bit like Moncler in my mind. Expensive but not actually serious outdoor wear.

Depends on the model. There's lots of Canada Goose stuff that's mostly fashion items but the 'Snow Mantra' is the one that Jeremy/James from the Top Gear team wore on their trip to the North Pole. It's seriously good for that kind of stuff. Rubbish for skiing though. It's intended for a different type of outdoor use.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy