Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train tickets in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm planning a bit of OBB Austrian train travel.
Normally just buy a ticket at the station but wondering if you save much by buying one a little before, and perhaps committing to a certain train.
Also, if any discounts for two travelling together (or does one need a bigger group)?
Thoughts/info much appreciated.
Merci bien.
Monsieur Neige
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may as well buy online to save queuing at a ticket window.

Broadly speaking, there are 2 types of tickets, ie regular and Sparschiene. The regular tickets are flexible. They can be cancelled up to the day before travel (some restrictions) and are valid for the nominated date and the day after.

The Sparschiene ticket comes with a deep discount, but the trade-off is that you are committed to a particular train, on a particular day. Once bought, it cannot be changed. It is not offered on all services.

Check the ÖBB website for other offers, discount cards, etc. I have not found one that works for a once or twice a year traveller.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Neil Neige, Depending on how much train travelling you're going to do, it may be worth looking at the Vorteilscard. It costs €66 if you buy it online. With the card you get 50% discount off normal price tickets within Austria.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are 2-5 people and travelling at certain (off-peak) times within Austria, there is also the Einfach-Raus Ticket: https://www.oebb.at/en/tickets-kundenkarten/freizeit-urlaub/einfach-raus-ticket
Yes, that price is for everybody, not each Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will save a few quid.. but non refundable means it could lose you a few quid if there is a delay in making it to the railway station
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gored, It's valid the rest of the day, and you don't need to buy in advance anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Discovered a way to get "cheap" tickets. Today I am taking the train from Munich to St Anton. Normally the cost is around €65 - €70 inc reservation (yes you can get cheaper tickets but you have to book in advance and they are for fixed trains). However the VTT tariff (Tirol transport) for Kufstein to St Anton is €18.80 plus €3 for a reservation. I have a Deutschland ticket which covers all travel in regional trains Germany wide. In Austria the various local deals seem to cover RJ & EC whereas is Germany ICE/IC/EC are excluded. The tickets can be booked on the OEBB app. If you are unsure of which train you will make book seats (at small cost) and book the ticket at last minute (I believe they are valid for two hours after starting journey). For visitors starting at Munich airport, buy a Bayern ticket (cost varies depending on number of people between 1 & 5, valid on regional trains, covers Kufstein & Salzburg) to get to Kufstein and then the relevant VTT ticket.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, VVT* (There are also VVT apps that you can book with, but they are essentially the same as the ÖBB app so it doesn't matter).
Not bad though – that's the same price as from Innsbruck for twice the distance, which will be to do with how the zones are calculated.

I need to go to Munich next month – would it really be cheaper to book 2 tickets, or should I just get the through ticket from ÖBB?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, I think the two ticket thing, though cant being sure as I have a Deutschland ticket and going Kufstein - St Anton (which must be just about the longest trip in VVT?). If day trip almost certainly worth getting Bayern ticket also worth checking https://www.brb.de/ as I think their tickets are a little bit cheaper than DB
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, Thanks, I'll have a look when we book. No, not a day trip – will probably stay one or two nights at the weekend.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
@Gored, It's valid the rest of the day, and you don't need to buy in advance anyway.

I was talking about the pre-book in advance ones, where the cheapest are for a set train time, not an open day ticket.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3 of us need to travel from Zurich airport on Sunday 11 February to Dornbirn (in Austria) from where I will be getting a lift to Warth. Are there any tips for getting a cheaper ticket that anyone would know of? Any suggestions or tips would be welcomed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@gamekeeper, standard price looks to be around €40pp from ÖBB, so unless you can find a significant discount on that, I would buy once you’ve landed. Unfortunately, I don’t think the Austrian saver options will work for you as you’re barely crossing to border.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy