Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

After the Dolomites... where next?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just back from a week in Arabba, and am thinking about next year already! (normally don't even start thinking about it until November). We were in Selva last year, so the decision to go back for more was easy. But I'm thinking we should go elsewhere next year, but am in need of inspriration.

Things I love about the Dolomites...

The terrain - I'll happily ski anything in the Dolomites - the reds suit me perfectly, and the fact that the blacks are wide mean I'll go down them (sometimes through choice, and sometimes repeatedly!). But nothing feels too steep/scary (or - importantly, narrow)

The views. No need to expand on this one!

The fact it doesn't feel crowded/too busy (we tend to ski last week in Jan)

The fact you can travel far - no need to stay in your 'home' resort.

The ease of navigation from one village to the next.

The variety - access to Sellaronda/the glacier/Hidden Valley etc - all quite different itineraries for different days

On-mountain food doesn't feel like a rip-off (and there's lots of variety).

Things I'm less keen on:
The long transfer (I get that it's a means to an end, but it has to be worth it. For the Dolomites, it is).

That's it for things I don't like.

Where we've been before:
Sauze - 5 times. Love it, but wary about snow conditions there now, and feel like it might feel a bit 'small' now after the Dolomites
Kitzbuhel - twice. Enjoyed the skiing there.
Morzine/Les Gets. Had a nice trip there with friends, but didn't love it. Can't put my finger on why.
Zell am See. Not sure it's big enough to have the sense of travel that I'd want now.
Alpe d'Huez - didn't like it. I didn't enjoy the slopes, found it really busy, didn't like the town - it just wasn't for me.
Yllas (Finland) - great for beginners (which we were), but no desire to go back.

So - where shall I look?? I have no strong desire to go to France from what I've heard about long queues, busy slopes, rip off mountain food. but I could be persuaded... (for some reason I would feel less confident about the terrain there - I have it in my head that French Reds would be too hard, and blacks completely off limits). Austria and Italy both excite me much more.
I'm happy to book all elements separately, BUT - definitely no car hire/self drive.

And, yes - I know I could go back to the Dolomites, as there's plenty more to see and do. And I will. But I think it would be good to go elsewhere first.

So which resorts/areas are going to tick the box...??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@WoottonBecs, would somewhere like Saalbach/Hinterglemm work? Nice villages, big ski area with the ability to plan different itineraries around the Ski Circus, lots of great runs, short transfer from Salzburg airport.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flachau. Just back and the whole group loved it. Lovely hotel, short transfer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'll always recommend the Three Valleys. We have been all over - Austria, Italy, Switzerland - but since our first trip we have returned every year and March will be our 7th trip. First year was in Courchevel, the rest in Meribel. We love cruising around and it's an endless sea of lovely reds and blues. Wouldn't say the reds are hard as they are mostly pretty wide. Think we have only ever been on one black, and that wasn't much of anything. The first day we didn't even look at a map until the afternoon to work out how to get back, and there are still places we haven't been to.

We go the week after French half term finishes in March and it never feels too busy. Very rare to have a long queue for a lift, and it certainly ticks the boxes in terms of the distance you can travel and ease of getting about. Some slopes can be busy but often you can be on your own. St Anton was our favourite before that first trip, but it just doesn't feel as joined up. We liked Courmayeur, but it would probably feel small now.

There are absolutely some expensive places for lunch but those can be avoided. We've certainly never felt ripped off and there are options for all budgets. There are places that cater to the hedge fund lot, but there's lots of choice.

Transfer is about 2 hours, although we seem to be lucky enough to mostly go on Sunday which is not the main changeover day.

People do get a bit pissy about the place but we always have a great time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had an amazing time at 3 Valleys a couple years ago. It was the first week of April, so we stayed up high at Val Thorens, and it was outstanding. Great conditions up high, and in the mornings even most of the lower elevation stuff was good, although it would get a little slushy later in the day of course. There's just so much area to ski too, so much variety yet pretty easy to navigate, and popping into the different towns on skis was lots of fun. Basically zero lines, and we had a totally nice enough, very inexpensive apartment right under a lift and across the street from the piste. A lot of our food came from the little pop up farmer's market right in front of the apartment. Nice French cheese, bread, and wine on the patio - it was great. One of the best times skiing we've ever had, maybe THE best.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And as for the terrain there, I was out the whole time with one or both of my kids who were 7 and 8 at the time. They're good skiers, but not hardcore racer kids or anything like that (have only had a few lessons ever each), and we had no shortage of things we wanted to do over the course of 4 days, mostly blues with a few reds thrown in. Maybe an easier black or two that we could see from a lift so we knew it looked manageable, I can't remember for sure. Actually we ran out of time and never even made it into the third valley, so there's plenty to do.

We're planning the Dolomites this year though, starting to get super excited about that. How were conditions when you were there?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to dolomiti superski 7 times in the last 6 years. selva (3 times) , Arabba , san Cassiano , la villa and st Vigilio (Kronplatz) and we are planning (at least) two trips there next season.

In addition over the last ten years or so we have gone to La Rosiere (4 times) , Val D’Isère (3 times) , Saalbach , courcheval 1650 and Mayrhofen.

Out of these - I think you would enjoy Saalbach. I would like to revisit here as we didn’t really manage to explore all of it and what I saw I liked.

Variety is nice of course but ultimately nowhere beats the Dolomites for me….
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WoottonBecs, We too are just back from the Dolomites (Corvara) and have just put a deposit on a hotel in San Cassiano for next Jan. However, if you're looking elsewhere, how about Cervinia? Transfer is about 2 hours from Turin and the ability to ski over to Zermatt will give you the sense of travel. Plus you still get Italian food and prices. Also very snow sure but can be affected by high winds so maybe better for a bit later in the season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@WoottonBecs, I'd second (third?)Saalbach Hinterglemm, lovely area. If you liked Kitzbuhel you might also enjoy the Ski Welt/Westendorf - and you can spend a day or two in Kitz if you wanted (with a pass add on or the Superski pass. Flacau also great. I'm a fan of Austria's wide pistes and food, and the scenery ain't bad either! Very Happy

As a French alternative - La Plagne/Les Arcs? Lots to travel around, definitely remember gorgeous wide blues though can't comment on the reds as we weren't up to them on our trip. Also I haven't been for a few years so not sure what the prices are like, didn't feel horrific in 2017 but might have shot up!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WoottonBecs, not sure there really is anything else quite like the dolomites. If you want a shorter transfer, you might find flying in to Innsbruck quicker to Selva.

Where we live in the Zillertal you have 5 main ski areas, Fügen, Hochzillertal, Zillertal Arena, Mayrhofen and Hintertux. On top of that you have small areas in Gerlosstein and the Ahorn Area of Mayrhofen. You could maybe say 4 main areas and call Fügen a small area. Either way, you've basically got somewhere different you can ski every day. You'll have to train/bus along the valley to each area, you can't ski between them all, but if you're ok with that it might be an area to visit?

Transfers are short, anywhere between 40mins to Fügen and around 1hr to Mayrhofen from Innsbruck Airport, assuming no/light traffic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WoottonBecs, overall, the Dolomites is very difficult to beat. Elsewhere you’d be sacrificing some of the features you like.

Other places I’m really glad I skied, some many times, include
France
Val D’Isere/Tignes - exciting terrain
3V - huge variety of slopes across a big area

Austria
Arlberg - St Anton/Lech
Kitzbuhel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for Zillertal.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@WoottonBecs, it would be boring if every ski area was similar, clearly if you go somewhere else it won't be the same.

It is true the geology of the Dolomites gives a very special landscape, but it doesn't mean other places don't have great views. For example, Evasion Mont Blanc where we have skiied the last few years (having bought our own place) has the drama of Mont Blanc staring you in the face across the valley. And just round the corner there are the Aiguilles of the Chamonix Valley which are pretty special too.

Runs: I have found enjoyable reds and wide blacks anywhere I have skiied, but pretty much any resort has one or two runs where the grading is optimistic and one or two more challenging blacks. The majority are fun.

Crowds: most decent size resorts aren't too bad, especially in late January. The only thing is that entry points can get congested at the times people are heading to ski school, but I remember that in the Dolomites too. Half term is admittedly more of a challenge in France.

Sense of travel and variety: that just means you enjoy the larger resorts. The Three Valleys certainly have that, and quite a few other places have multiple options for "day trips". I think it is fair to say the way the Sella Ronda is signposted, with most destinations being side trips from that, probably helps navigation; other places aren't that bad but perhaps need a harder look at the piste map the night before.

Food on the mountain is probably fair as a plus for Italian resorts, the big resorts elsewhere do contain a number of restaurants which don't seem to have the pride in their food found pretty much everywhere in Italy or are over-priced. But good lunch stops can be found in most places, you might just need to ask here before you go.

So I am sure you will find places you would enjoy in France, or Austria, or Switzerland (not yet mentioned but with a bit of care can be acceptable value). However if our experience of food on the mountain in Andorra was typical you can rule that out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh yes, I know it won't be the same... and I'm not looking for a carbon copy. I'm merely wondering where I can find more of the same of the bits I love about the Dolomites!

It seems I just need to go for a large area. The3V is on my radar (I have a friend who knows it well who is often extolling its virtues), but it's interesting to hear of the places in Austria that might also fit the bill.

Thanks for the food for thought!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love the Dolomites too...I keep going back after trying other places Cool

The scenery is unique due to its geology, but other places also have dramatic landscapes.

Everywhere has different pros and cons, but here are some places I've skied that could compare in scenery and extent:

3Vallees
Cervinia-Zermatt
Lech-Arlberg

Your budget might need to be a tad higher though! snowHead
latest report
If it has to be Italy and the Dolomites, maybe Madonna di Campiglio or Cortina d'Ampezzo would deliver the scenery and mountain food, but the ski areas are not as extensive or well-linked as the Sella Ronda area.

There are a number of smaller Dolomites resorts that are very worthwhile, are less busy and offer even better VFM, but you would probably need a car to do day trips out of a central base.
snow conditions
1. Verbier
2. Jackson Hole
3. St Moritz
snow report
The three valleys, there's so much to see and do.
Go in March to avoid French holidays and you'll be fine. Loads of advice on here, but it's honestly amazing.
Anywhere you stay is so well linked to the other places that if you like exploring and adventuring it's perfect and ticks all the boxes you describe.
snow conditions
The Brenta Dolomites: cruisey, wide reds, blacks not overly difficult. Stunning scenery, good mountain food, great sense of travel. Stay in Madonna di Campiglio or (as MdC is a bit more expensive…although lovely) look at Folgarida which is quieter and less charming.

Saalbach Hinterglemm (as mentioned above): the Ski Circus is huge. You’d have no problem keeping occupied for a week and there are loads of piste options to suit your level. Awesome Apres Ski. Good mountain restaurants. An awesome sense of travel.

Serre Chevalier might be worth considering: Four main resort towns spread along the valley, all extremely well connected by both good ski infrastructure and regular buses (if needed). Slightly more traditional resort feeling. I’d recommend staying in Chantemerle or Monetier. Many of the reds and blacks are on the more challenging side but, to be honest, there are so many options, that shouldn’t be an issue. Many nice mountain restaurants. Stunning scenery.

Altenmarkt/Zauchensee or Flachau: fabulous skiing (Ski Amade), mostly nice cruisey reds and blues, traditional mountain restaurants/hutte.

The Ziller Valley has been mentioned - I’d definitely recommend it too.
snow report
French Reds & Blacks are no more harder than their Austrian or Italian equivalents. Compared to the Dolomites you'll find the French runs get pisted less often so they can be a bit lumpier sometimes. Three valleys is definitely more expensive than Dolomites, with Courchevel the most expensive sector and Les Menuires the cheapest.

Much as I enjoy the Three Valleys, based on what your requirements are I'd happily second the recommendation for the Zillertal. All of the ski areas in the valley offer mostly blue/red/moderate black skiing, the pistes are generally pretty wide and the food in the on-mountain restaurants good and reasonably priced. The ski areas all feel sufficiently different that I can easily go there for a fortnight and ski different areas each day without ever feeling like it's getting boring or repetitive. Getting to the Zillertal resorts from Munich is easy by train but I like doing it with a hire-car (minibus if you're a bigger group). Having your own car means getting to the different areas is really easy.
latest report
@WoottonBecs, the transfer from Innsbruck to Selva is about the same as to Obergurgl or Ischgl

I love Zell for some reason, but it’s small and crowded. Just go over the back and stay in Saalbach. Huge area, and you can still pop to Zell. How about Ziller valley. Lots of skiing though a car would help.
ski holidays
ischgl would be a good option. There's a few other bits and bobs along the valley as well for a day away on the bus or even driving if you've got wheels
snow report
@WoottonBecs, why not go back to the Dolomites again? Or a few more times?

I see you’ve gone to some of the same place several times. So you don’t strike me as an ADHD type of person. Why go some place different only to be disappointed?

Personally, I tend to want to go back to the same place a couple (or a few) times before moving on. When visiting a place the first time around, it’s unlikely to find all the little gems. Going back would means optimizing what I like the last time, plus some new discovery I heard of but didn’t get a chance to explore. Plus, different snow condition also makes the same spot feel differently. All in all, if a place feels good the first visit, it’s likely to feel even better the 2nd visit. A vast domain like the Dolomites could easily warrant a 3rd visit too.

(As I get older, I’m more incline to repeat what I enjoy over trying out different places/things/activities Embarassed )
latest report
I have just had a great week in Arabba (3-10Feb). I did the Sella Ronda, and the Hidden Valley, and another long distance excursion (I can't remember where it went).

If I won a free week in March/April in comparable accom., with comparable snow, in a random resort somewhere either in the Dolomites or the Portes du Soleil, I'd choose the latter.

I figure the PdS is just far more varied - a very mixed bag. The Dolomites are simply vast, and despite their excellent quality, I didn't find them as mixed a bag as the PdS.

Yup, I've done the PdS circuit a few times.
ski holidays
Plenty of food for thought here - thank you!

I will most definitely go back to the Dolomites - that is very much on the cards. I was just thinking about going somewhere else first before returning! I am eyeing up somewhere in the Val di Fassa corner of the Sellaronda for a future trip.

I will look into the Austrian places mentioned as a start point, and I'm sure the 3V will feature one day, as we have friends who ski there every year, so a joint trip will be on the cards one day.

It's looking possible that next year could be a half term trip with friends (teachers, so it's half term or nothing - Easter skiing is out for various reasons), so that does mean we need to look at things slightly differently. But we've done it before, and will do it again...
latest report
@WoottonBecs, you would find some of what you love about the Val Gardena/Sella Ronda area in 3 Vallées, Ischgl or Cervinia/Zermatt. (Ischgl offers small satellite areas on easy bus links that are good in bad weather).

When you do return to the Dollies, transfers from Innsbruck and Verona to Val Gardena are shorter than Venice to Arabba. Better still, fly SkyAlps from Stansted to Bolzano direct and it’s only a 1-hour drive (or 2 hrs by public transport).
snow conditions
@WoottonBecs, you would find some of what you love about the Val Gardena/Sella Ronda area in 3 Vallées, Ischgl or Cervinia/Zermatt. (Ischgl offers small satellite areas on easy bus links that are good in bad weather).

When you do return to the Dollies, transfers from Innsbruck and Verona to Val Gardena are shorter than Venice to Arabba. Better still, fly SkyAlps from Stansted to Bolzano direct and it’s only a 1-hour drive (or 2 hrs by public transport).
snow conditions
Following with interest as we have the same ‘dilemma’. Just back from our 4th Dollies trip in a row. Having skied Stateside, Banff, Whistler and various places in France we find it difficult to top the Dolomites - esp at half term.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Your responses have missed La Plagne. It's high it's varied and you can also ski Les Arc. Great snow and travelling down to various small resorts gives great length. Ski in, ski out. Go early March. Stay at Belle Plagne. Mostly apartments but some hotels. Isn't too costly. Neilsons I think do reasonable hotels but they don't travel from Scotland so I haven't been. Apartments are basic but reasonable restaurants to dine out..
ski holidays
@Scrunch77 - we did fly to/from Innsbruck (to both Selva and Arabba)!
snow conditions
I'm actually going back to the Dolomites next week but slightly worried as I'm getting reports that the uplift out of Campatillo has huge queues in the morning. Ok, bus to Alba or Canazei to get into the system is an alternative. Is it bad for queues?
snow report
We discovered the Dolomites after having gone to the Three Valleys lots and lots of times, so we're kind of in the reverse situation to @woottonbecs. My sense is that if you like the Dolomites you'll also like the Three Valleys. Anybody who likes Selva and the skiing there would probably really enjoy C1650, with the added bonus that because 1650 isn't en route to anywhere else it's much quieter than the blues and reds above Ciampanoi/Plan de Gralba, where you also have a lot of through-traffic from those doing the Sella Ronda, etc. It's super easy to get to C1850 from 1650, of course, and from there you have access to the rest of the area.

One thing I'd remarked on another thread was that the Dolomites was the only resort I've visited where I felt confident to go down any run sight unseen. I don't feel that way about the Three Valleys (eg those horrid reds down from Courchevel to Meribel when it hasn't snowed for a while) but I definitely feel that way about pretty much all of the Courchevel side.

Net-net: just as I was delighted to have experienced the Dolomites having had a lot of time in the Three Valleys, I suspect I'd have felt the same the other way around.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy