Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarders haulin ass down ice patches. How??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i consider myself a pretty solid and fast snowboarder and mostly in control but man. when i hit those patches of ice i’m totally F’ed. off balance. sliding like a madman. But i sometimes see these people that just fly thru ice like it’s nothing. how??? how do you not slide and lose your balance while you’re hauling ass? i’m confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like this Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/wjfh9F9eT34?si=Ybmk1_6VJjmguRBi
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@eaglesandsnowboarding,
The current term for ass is donkey. They are particularly uncooperative animal so good luck
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eaglesandsnowboarding wrote:
...when i hit those patches of ice i’m totally F’ed. off balance. sliding like a madman. But i sometimes see these people that just fly thru ice like it’s nothing. how??? how do you not slide and lose your balance while you’re hauling ass? i’m confused
Skill. Practice. Sharp edges. Carving.

And appropriate gear. Racecourses are icy, but racers don't ride boards designed for the park with boots designed for the hearth. You don't need a metal race board, but you do need something designed to hold an edge, and with correctly prepared edges (not detuned or used on rails!).

Otherwise:
  1. Ride places which have been softened a bit by the sun, not the hard icy noisy places which'll rattle your teeth. Often this requires a long breakfast, or lying in bed more.
  2. Use your eyes. Even very "icy" pistes usually have some soft snow on them somewhere. Turn on those bits, not on the icy bits.

And try riding it slower. Seriously, riding in control is more useful in ice because you need to be able to look at where you're going to turn more carefully than with friendly grippy snow.

Quote:
The current term for ass is donkey
Most of us can understand simple English, even if it's not British English.
You can't get the British form of the word through the content filter. Pointless pedantry gets through though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Board choice makes a big difference but point it and go
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
First up don't fight the slide, go with it.
Second you need to drive the board the board through the turn and finish strongly on the back foot. Lots of people wash out on ice or hard pack as they are stuck on the front foot and the tail stays too light.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You can't get the British form of the word through the content filter. Pointless pedantry gets through though.

And the fact that the filter allows the American term for an back bottom but bans the English term. Discrimination
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Board makes a massive difference.

I've a Bataleon all mountain that's OK on ice but gets a bit sketchy with my limited skills.

I bought a Jones Stratos the other year and it makes me ride like a rockstar on ice compared to my ability.

I'm doing nothing different so I'm assuming it's because it's a bit stiffer and it's hot a couple of extra contact points for ice on the edge (tame version of the Libtech serrated edge basically).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like driving a car. Go with it & turn into the skid.
But that is what edges are for! Sharp edges. Get on your edge & carve a line like a skater on an ice-rink.

Depending on the size of the patch, then also think about weight distribution… (or dont think - go with the feeling)
Times you need to attack the patch & weight forward - the opposite to what snowrider says & other times, exactly what snowrider says.
If a big patch, then I like to enter on front & exit on rear - as transition back to snow can catch me out & end up on my donkey Toofy Grin .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe don't "haul ass" on ice if you end up off balance and sliding like a madman. Hopefully you only do so when on your own, away from the pistes and other people.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy