Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club GB membership for oldies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My SCGB Platinum membership, which includes membership at £75 plus multi trip insurance including winter sports, will jump from £200 pa to £370.50 pa because I am now 70. Any recommendations out there for non-ageist insurance cover?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Oblos, look at MPI.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Oblos, it's a major problem and not just ski insurance. My brother in law is early 80s, wants to go to Brazil - nearly £3k for the insurance and he has shopped around. That's with a few 'under control' medical declarations.

I don't think it is ageist otherwise new drivers in their 20s can make the same argument in reverse (or any other gear).

Tried your bank?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Going to ask Michael P for a quote.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Tried your bank?

Not thought of them - will have a look.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Oblos, Katherine at MPI is very helpful. We are now74 and 78.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
While it may appear ageist, it will be based on the risk and likelyhood based on historical data. 20-yr old blokes are more likely to wrap a car around a tree, over 70s more likely to have conditions which may result in a claim.

It just is annoying for 20-yr old sensible drivers and over 70s in good health
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Insurance cover should be 'ageist'. A 30 year old is not the medical risk a 100 year old is. And there is obviously a sliding scale...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

And there is obviously a sliding scale

Not a slide here though - more like a huge jump to almost double. Pension age has increased so why not activity age. It's not just good health (fingers crossed I stay that way) - are oldies less reckless than youngsters on the slopes? I think they are.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guess that this is an underwriting issue.

I am still at the £267 rate (age 64), and went for this because it includes off piste and is reasonably competitive if you include the basic cost of SCGB membership. I did think that I could save a bit if I cancelled the other travel insurance that I have through my Bank, though I would also have to punt around for breakdown cover, and my wife would not be included.

The bigger problem is "pre-existing" conditions, which as I see it have to be referred to underwriters, my mate simply couldn't get cover and has to rely on an GHIC and the SCGB inclusive 3rd party cover.

I think insurance is getting expensive in all areas, my house, car, pet and boat insurance have all shot up considerably in excess of inflation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DavidYacht wrote:
my mate simply couldn't get cover and has to rely on an GHIC and the SCGB inclusive 3rd party cover.

I think insurance is getting expensive in all areas, my house, car, pet and boat insurance have all shot up considerably in excess of inflation.

I agree, nearly all insurances have shot up. Your mate, however, is very under-insured. GHIC wouldn't cover for things like piste rescue or repatriation. What if he needs air ambulance? And what if the only available emergency room is a pivate one - lots of them are private in the alps.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have virtually the same scenario. Last year aged 69 had SCGB 7 day single trip Gold policy for £117 for a European country
This year with nothing changed except that I am now 70 their quoted premium was £270.

After looking around and I definitely don't go for the cheapest I've taken out an Admiral Insurance Gold policy, the premium is just about the same as the SCGB 2023. Again going to the same European country. I look at the cover offered and its suitable for my needs.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update: Kept my SCGB membership but have taken out multi trip + winter sports insurance with MPI. That combo has saved me £100.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oblos wrote:
Quote:

And there is obviously a sliding scale

Not a slide here though - more like a huge jump to almost double. Pension age has increased so why not activity age. It's not just good health (fingers crossed I stay that way) - are oldies less reckless than youngsters on the slopes? I think they are.

That's probably because the under-70s rate is based on an average age of say 50-55, and the over-70s rate on say 77-78. For simplicity they have a single age cut-off rather than a separate rate for every age. For the past few years you've been getting a bargain, paying at the rate for someone in their 50s when you were in your late 60s.

It exactly the same as with DIN settings. You don't suddenly get weaker bones and ligaments at 50, but there is definitely a difference between under-50s, average say 35, and over-50s, average say 65.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy