Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming Nightraces Tips Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Right, just booked accom and flights to go to the nightraces in Schladming Jan '24, been on my to-do list for years, slightly bewildered by the viewing options though.
We will be there both nights, can any seasoned visitors recommend some tactics ?

The Hohenhaus Tenne would be amazing but tickets are hundreds of euros...question is what do you get for that and can you get in there at all before or after without a ticket ?
And if not the Hohenhaus....would you recomend one evening in the stands and one evening just freestyling in town ?

Any advice appreciated !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take something insulating to stand on, if you're going to be watching from the sides of the piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@HutToHut, +1
Some cardboard or even better some styrofoam. The cold really seeps even through the soles of good winter boots, when standing a few hours on the snow.
Also if going to stand on the side of the slope, maybe even binoculars.
If I'd go again, I would spring for tickets by the finish area, I think that there are stands cheaper than the Hohenhaus?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polar-Thinsulate-Waterproof-Durable-Thermal/dp/B07RYZJ19V/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2RMQIYDYPS2U0&keywords=polar+snow+boots&qid=1695397853&rnid=1642204031&s=apparel&sprefix=polar+snow+boots%2Caps%2C107&sr=1-9&tag=amz07b-21 - good walking boots will be OK for about 20 minutes, then your toes go numb and drop off.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermally-Insulated-Moisture-Proof-Waterproof-Playground/dp/B0912ZF74H/ref=sr_1_26?crid=3LP9UE4C6U4W2&keywords=thermal+mat&qid=1695397903&sprefix=thermal+mat%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-26&tag=amz07b-21 - maybe fold it double for extra insulation before standing on it unless you do actually want to sit on it.

A flask of gluhwein (per person?) would be a good move as a plastic cup of Gosser is likely to cost you €8-€10 and may develop lumps if it gets to -10. However, the venue rules say no food or drink, and no rucksacks, so good luck with getting anything more than a small hip flask onto the hill.

The sides of the piste can be a challenge to reach - you can ski down the middle of it easily under normal circumstances, but walking up the side of it after the pistes have been closed is less simple. There may be ropes in places to help, in which case your £100 skiing gloves are not the ideal handwear. Wear thermals, thick fleece, salopettes, thick buff and hat and a good puffer jacket - your normal skiing gear won't cut it, because you'll be stood still for 5+ hours to catch both runs from a good viewing point. See the photos at https://www.thenightrace.at/en/nightrace/rennstrecke.php for an idea of how far up some people go, and how steep it is. I've not tried that, but I have done it in Flachau and it was a slog. You may be able to access the hillside from the roads/tracks at the side - worth checking out Trenkenbachweg, https://maps.app.goo.gl/1UN25is5HYVG8vqW6

For the more feminine members of the party something like a Shewee might be a good move - dropping your salopettes to squat on the side of the piste will be a little cold, and a little public. Toilets are available at the bottom of the hill. There are trees on one side of the piste if you're not worried about sinking into a tree bowl.

The Hohenhaus will be full of relatively wealthy and very drunk people crammed in tight with very loud cheesy Austro-pop or Schlager music plus live acts. Could be heaven or hell depending on your tastes. No access without a ticket, see https://www.thenightrace.at/en/tickets/slalom-24-01-2023.php for details of prices and what that gets you, but drinks are extra on most of the options.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Let me preface anything I say by noting that the last time I went was 2019 - it was the second year in a row that Marcel Hirscher won, and the atmosphere was simply brilliant - so things may have changed.

As others have noted, stand on either side of the hill and you will lose your sense of feeling from the knees down - and to get anywhere near the front you have camp out from the night before, so imho not worth it.

I think it was 2017 when we had seats in the stand they build between the Hohenhaus and the Planai building and cost at the time was circa €50. I wouldn't do it again - great view of the finish obviously but again you freeze your @$$ off; getting a drink is nigh on impossible; and the atmosphere is a little subdued.

My recommendation would be to spend your time early on mingling along the Hauptplatz with the pop up bars and food huts - we've bumped into Graham Bell (who comes across as a really nice bloke) few times doing this - when it becomes Cobergstrasse, there's a square to the right where they have the stage to introduce the skiers and when the race is on, a massive screen. It will be heaving with people and is an experience to savour. However, for the race itself, head to the left, and there's a pathway at the side of the Rathaus. We've generally stood at the head (ish) of that path as from there you can (or could) see the top of the course, and then when the skiers disappear from view watch the rest of their run on the screen.

We've done that 4 times and is very definitely my preferred option: food; coffee; gluhwien; beer are all on hand, and the atmosphere is electric.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to say many thanks for the tips so far Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to the Nightrace many times. I would suggest getting tickets in the Blue section if you can. I think they are €125 each. I personally wouldn't pay more than that for the VIP options, just not worth it. With a blue ticket you get a seat (higher the letter the better - D are available and you'll get a great view up the mountain). As mentioned above you can then go in to the centre of the village and enjoy the food stalls, bars etc.
It's a great event, the village is really busy from early-afternoon onwards and the party afterwards, particularly if an Austrian wins it is fantastic.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This might only be in Flachau but if you are standing don't plonk yourself where the Marco Schwarz Fan Club had been standing and were planning to return to for the 2nd run! Although they will be very polite when asking (telling) you to move a little. Very good to be near them if he takes the lead though, I thought the stand was going to collapse. We loved our night in Flachau and I expect Schladming is bigger and noisier so well worth whatever effort to go
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Doing the right thing, reporting back and sharing some tips of my own :

Overall had an amazing couple of days.
We did one night no-ticket, one night ticket (Slalom) and glad we did that. Saw Dave Ryding too.
We didn't get too cold, mainly because it wasn't very cold but can easily see how you could, wrap up !
There's a 2hr gap between the first and second runs, so can leave the stand and go eat/drink/party etc.
As soon as the race ends they open up the Hohenhaus Tenne to regular pundits. €20 each, but awesome, what a place. Up there with the Kuhstall and Mooserwirt, and 1000 times better than the Folie Douce abominations.
Some of the racers end up in there too. There's a even a free option underneath the Tenne if you don't want to spend €20, plays all the schlager classics. If you like that sort of thing you'll love it. We loved it.
The slopes in the day were sooo quiet, a world away from big resort French skiing, and all served by high speed 6/8 covered chairs. Loads of mountain restaurant/bar options.
We took the train from Salzburg, all worked well.
Weather was ropey, rain in the valley for the race but fresh snow up top, so overall fine. We were 'forced' to shelter in a disco party tent in the worst of the rain.
Lots of street food/bar places only take cash.
There's a great little bar/kebab place in the middle - Grillstube Bhatti - never seems to close, very friendly owner and always got a seat.

Thanks once again to the folks who offered tips - much appreciated.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy