Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short Trip From Dublin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to work out approx 3/4 days skiing for a small group in January from Dublin. Can anyone suggest a destination?

We are trying to figure out workable flights and a manageable transfer without hiring a car.

Oberstdorf via Memmingen worked for me in the past but now it's a 5 night minimum.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MustWork, Why not list which destination airports will work for you then people can suggest possible resorts?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I think the only options are

Munich
Geneva
Turin
Bergamo.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fly direct to Zurich. Train to Engelberg, Andermatt, Lenzerheide, or even Zermatt.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any special reason for not hiring car? For 3 people for short trip hire from Turin is cheap and lots of good places within an easy drive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks! Andermatt looks interesting!

No one is too keen to drive in winter, on the other side of the road etc !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MustWork wrote:
Thanks! Andermatt looks interesting!

No one is too keen to drive in winter, on the other side of the road etc !

With 4 days you could combine 2 days in Engelberg and 2 in Andermatt. 2 fantastic ski areas, especially for good skiers / boarders! I did 1 day in Andermatt and 2 in Engelberg and loved it. If it’s a powder weekend you’ll need to get up early for fresh tracks!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You could also look at Ryanair to Venice and get the Cortina Express bus to Cortina. Myself and the missus did a 3 night trip there in early Feb and loved it (though we did hire a car...as Origen said it's ridiculously cheap in Italy in winter). The flight times worked well with early flight out and late return back to Dublin.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zurich to Engelberg is a doddle and a pleasure to do by train right from the airport. Not a huge number of pistes, but the off piste is superb.

Zurich to St Anton also an option but the Dublin flight used to get in slightly too late to catch the train so you might want to check that.

I think Munich to Zillertal is also doable by train (Mayrhofen, Zillertal Arena etc). Can also continue down that train line into Italy, to Bolzano and then from there to the Dolomite resorts (about half hour by bus). Or come up the same train line from the South via Verona from Milan.

Geneva has regular, in effect, on demand cheap transfers to Avoriaz and Chamonix. In general the Dublin flights are red eyes though.

It really is very easy hiring a car and Winter weather very rarely interferes with your plans. As pointed out a lot of resorts within 90 minutes of Turin and within 3 hours of Bergamo or just over 2 hours of Malpensa or Venice, or Munich.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Engelberg sounds cool. Is there a mix of slopes for the very rusty and the bit more experienced? Nothing too hectic this time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think so but recollection is they are mostly towards the red hue. There is a long run down the valley and a more beginner area on the way down there. There is also another area of gentle slopes on the other side of the valley which was green when I was there but should be open in January. Then there are two areas at the top, one certainly has quite a gentle red, the other is a kind of mix of red blues and reasonably steep blacks. Have a look at piste map.

If going by train there is a reduced price ski pass and train ticket available. It was super easy to do it, 17 minutes after wheels touched ground we were at platform and our train was due with another one 10 minutes later. Very easy change in Lauxanne I think.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy