Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Excellent visitor numbers for French resorts in 2024

Poster: A snowHead
French Alpine resorts have seen excellent visitor numbers as winter tourists escape the doom and gloom of low lying mountain ranges. The downsides are traffic jams, rammed ski slopes and queues both for lifts and mountain restaurants.

In the high altitude domains of the Savoie and Haute-Savoie. Occupation level were 84%, up 11% on last season for the Christmas break. Figures were also good for the six week February holidays with overall occupation of 82.8%; an increase of 3.5% compared to last year. A similar situation in the Southern Alps with occupatation levels at 72%, +2% compared to last winter. It is a local market, 85% of skiers are French.

https://pistehors.com/U3xnW44B1g7SdbHcDukw/bumper-season-for-french-alpine-resorts

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-03-24 12:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That picture is like a vision of Hell.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, yeah, that comes as no surprise, Chamonix has felt unusually busy all season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Origen, Agreed. I'd head for the airport Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Origen, Breugelesque
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Horrific
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for the article @davidof, Just one question - does this mean the occupation level went from 72% to 84% or from 75% to 83%, a percentage of a percentage?
Quote:

Not so in the high altitude domains of the Savoie and Haute-Savoie. Occupation level were 84%, up 11% on last season for the Christmas break.

TBH I have seen occupancy levels of over 100% published for Les Arcs over New Year in the past.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Origen, Thats AI for you...

The 85% local ratio is an interesting metric - traditionally the local nationality visitors spend significantly less while in resort than foreign visitors.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Except perhaps the Dutch who notoriously drive down with cars full of groceries.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
More Bosch than Breughel, with his wholesome peasants, @davidof
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
Thank you for the article @davidof, Just one question - does this mean the occupation level went from 72% to 84% or from 75% to 83%, a percentage of a percentage?

Good point,
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It’s surprising as the French court of audit recently published a big report on the impact of climate change on the ski resorts. It said (among many other things) a big concern for the future is that ordinary French folk are being pushed out of their own ski resorts by rising costs that only wealthy foreigners can afford.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought St Gervais was just getting more popular as I have never seen the place so busy but it seems that it is widespread across all the alps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Origen, I was thinking of The Massacare of the Innocents but perhaps Bosch' more fantastical style suits the illustration better?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abricotine wrote:
It’s surprising as the French court of audit recently published a big report on the impact of climate change on the ski resorts. It said (among many other things) a big concern for the future is that ordinary French folk are being pushed out of their own ski resorts by rising costs that only wealthy foreigners can afford.

Very likely so.
latest report
Origen wrote:

Those, I think, are lifts out of Plagne Bellcote? Those lifts always seem rammed even in quiet weeks as main routes up and out
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:

It doesn't look that different to the situation in La Plagne this week Shocked
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Richard_Sideways wrote:

It doesn't look that different to the situation in La Plagne this week Shocked

could be the queue for the gondola and colossus
snow report
Origen wrote:

That is Colosses out of Plagne Bellecote. It does get very busy but throughput is pretty good also. That picture shows it at it's peak IME (Christmas and one time at HT).

We were out Christmas week and first couple of days were OK and then it definitely got very busy but not a vision of hell.
ski holidays
TBH that picture looks like AI, perhaps based on something real and specific like Colosses out of Plagne Bellecote.
snow report
The vision of Hell I had at Christmas was trying to get to Dover port when the tunnel staff had a wildcat strike. I am normally quite tolerant of strikers/protestors but that was a bastard thing to do IMO.

Also seeing the traffic going into resorts for new year week when we were driving out at 5.30/6ish.
ski holidays
@Layne, @davidof, @Boris, @nbt,

That picture cannot be La Plagne Bellecote - there is no car park next to the piste at any point in that area.

I think @nbt is right its an AI picture, but perhaps based on another area or maybe a photo shop of several areas stitched together?
latest report
Apologies, I was talking about the picture in the article davidof linked to.

On my other machine the browser didn't show the picture in the OP.

I've no idea where that came from. @davidof, where did that come from?
snow conditions
Thé picture reminded me of the famous samivel picture of the ski lift where the queue for the lift started at the very top. No one looked even slightly perturbed about it.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Apologies, I was talking about the picture in the article davidof linked to.

On my other machine the browser didn't show the picture in the OP.

I've no idea where that came from. @davidof, where did that come from?

The picture in the article is la Plagne

The illustration above looks more like American lift queues on a powder day, it does have something of a Kate Middleton vibe to it though.
ski holidays
Report chimes with predictions of recent decades.

High stations = good
Low stations = bad
snow report
Makes complete sense. Marginal snow-climate resorts suffer, especially since January this winter, whilst the likes of Les Gets and Megeve these last two winters have seen many weeks of dire piste conditions. Post-lockdowns people from across Europe are maximising their holidays, skiers are pouring into the Tarentaise instead. Must be fantastic news if you own a business or a freehold in Courchevel, Val I’sere or Val Thorens.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy