Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski servicing - ski shops

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I left my skis for a shop for waxing (skiset in Tignes) for the first time in a while. I normally wax them (I brought an iron with me) and sharpen the side edges myself (only when I’m home not while travelling/holidaying). I just felt lazy this evening so I decided to let the shop do it.

My friend who also services skis himself said I should never do that as ski shops might damage your skis. Is that bullxxxx?

For information I did pay to get them waxed by hand and not by machine. From my perspective those people in the shop service hundred of skis so they are the pros. So for waxing there’s not much damage that can be done (well they could use an iron that’s too hot but it’s unlikely). I do generally try to avoid getting them to sharpen the edges as they tend to take off a bit too much of the metal.

Separately what wax is good for powder or does wax matter less in powder (eg similar to edges)? The shop asked if it was okay to use low temp wax and I said okay.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In general a shop service will be fine, and no, they won't damage your skis. I mean, it could happen in theory but they service hundreds or thousands of skis each season, so the only real risk is if you get them done with a full base grind too often, but most shops won't routinely do a full base grind anyway unless there's damage or you specifically ask for it.

I also think you're overthinking the whole wax issue. A machine wax is fine. And wax temperatures are only really an issue for racing, and particularly for cross-country skiing. In normal use it's going to have pretty much worn off the surface after half a day anyway, so no, I wouldn't sweat it. I do hand wax my own skis, every week or three (of use) but I view it more from the perspective of protection than performance, TBH.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks yea I agree with what you said. I think my friend just planted this seed of doubts in my head and hence my question.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm just starting to jump the other side - but the other way around, waxing/edging at home instead of via professionals, and the risks are way higher! Wish I could rely on a shop but it's just not worth it via a shop timewise. It's for racing, but of course we started with my own pair and some old pair... I feel like Alice falling in the Vola hole.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, they might.

Certainly a shop is going to take less care than you would. But on the flip side they do lots every day so are skilled in it.

As you say they are going to be less worried about taking off a lot of edge, they might base grind when they don't need to, etc. But like any business they don't want pissed off customers complaining and writing bad reviews.

But you are asking after the event - so it is what it is Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy