Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff with under 10s

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, first time on SnowHeads so hope I'm doing this right. I have a few questions about Banff in Canada.

I'm taking two of my kids to Banff in mid Feb, just me and an 8 and 10 year old for 6 days.

I'm a rusty average skier and they're both good given that they have only three ski trips under their belts.

I've never skied anywhere other than Europe and have a million questions. Answers/thoughts would be very gratefully received.

Staying in Banff, should I pre book lift passes and equipment and if so, where should I go? I've looked at SkiBig3.

Should I buy an all three resort pass for all of us?

I'm looking for lessons/guide for three half days for the three of us, any recommendations?

Should I hire a car or rely on the shuttles? I'm a confident driver but not experienced in winter weather driving really. The airport transfer is sorted but was thinking it might be nicer for the kids if they can jump straight into a car to get to the slopes and crucially back again.

Will it be ridiculously cold in mid feb?

Any other tips?

Thank you for taking the time to read my anxiety driven post - feel like I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew with this one!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was at Banff last year.

Definitely book lift tickets ahead of time. You get a discount. Also, buy the all 3 resort ticket. It will help with on the fly changes in terms of what you will want to do once you get there and get a feel for what the terrain is like. For instance, the smaller of the three mountains is right next to Banff and you may find after trying out all 3 that you like that one better, or maybe it will be one of the big 2. Lift tickets will likely be waiting for you at the hotel when you arrive.

I was not able to rent my skis through SkiBig3 as they were pre-sold out. So instead I made an online reservation with Ultimate Sports which was more than fine and right in town. Google them.

I would recommend lessons/guide for the kids given their ages and relative lack of experience - for you also I guess. I have no idea of this in Banff as my kids are older and much more experienced. But when they were that age, that is what I did with them (at other mountains) and it helped a lot. Don't do it for every day. Maybe just one or two days.

My guess is you will like Sunshine the best. I think you will find that it has a better selection of manageable terrain above the tree line with great views. One cool thing about it is you get to ski into, and out of, British Columbia on one of the runs.

I rented a car at Calgary airport and used it to get to Banff and to the mountain of choice each day. But this is my normal. if you have already committed to an airport transfer to and from the hotel, it will probably be unnecessary to get a car at that point. The shuttles to the mountains are free. One thing to consider if you get a car is that even if you get to the mountain early you will likely have to drop off the kids and bags, then circle around and find parking, then walk to the lodge. Don't know if you want to do that with an 8 and 10 year old. Also need to consider if the free buses to the mountain will stop at or near your hotel. Roads from Banff to the mountains are excellent and will only be a weather problem if it is snowing at the time. Do some research on the shuttles. All I can say is that they were all over Banff and seemed well used. Dropped you off right at the lodge. Note that for Sunshine, the "base" is really mid-mountain and you will have to take a gondola up to get there. So if you do get a car, you will be booting up in the parking lot and walking onto the gondola. At the end of the day, you can ski all the way down.

That area can be ridiculously cold at times. Or maybe it won't be. No matter how cold, though, if you have proper layers and a full face covering you will be ok.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you so much! This is all really helpful. I won't bother with car hire as you're right, don't want to leave the kids stranded while I park.

And I'll get the pass, equipment and lessons booked asap. I agree that 2/3 lessons for all of us will suffice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope you like Aussies - or maybe you are one. That's all you will find working the restaurants, shops and mountain.

If staying in Banff, the Keg, and Boston Pizza are two dinner options for picky 8 and 10 year olds. There are a few of each in town. Not exactly a top choice for date night, but will go over well with the kids.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Luckily I lived in Australia for five years so I'll feel at home (for a Brit)

Thanks for the restaurant tips - cheap and cheerful is the name of the game for me on this trip!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SoloSkiMum, WElcome to snowHead

you'll deffinitely need the skibig3 pass, as it also covers you for the ski buses - which you'll need unless renting a vehicle, with all the added costs. If you rent a car you'll need a park pass too - its cold there atm around -40 but should warm up before you go. Hope so as we'll be passing through mid Feb Toofy Grin

Ultimate wiil be fine for rentals, its who all the Tour Ops use, or you could try Snowtips - Bactrax who were pretty good. unlimited also used to be good but not sure if they rent skis now rather than just boards.

Have a great trip and enjoy - I'm sure you'll all love Banff, plenty of places to eat and snack. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wrote some detailed trip reports for Banff, use search to find them. Some years ago but many things still valid.

Jet lag. You will possibly have to deal with two small dead bodies as you get off the plane, as well as luggage. Good luck.
For the same reason I don’t contemplate driving. Others do.
We booked Banff Airporter, nice coach, drops you near to hotel probably. You can look out the window for moose.
You will all wake up at 4am. Get ready and be on first bus at 0730 ish. Maybe find a corner of the self serve dining to grab a kip after lunch. If going to Lake Louise, the 40 min bus ride back allows a restorative nap before evening activities.
Canadian group lessons are great.
Ensure you buy Beaver Tails (flattened donuts with various toppings).
Do try to get an evening at Banff Hot Springs. Lying in hot water looking at snow covered trees and stars is magical.
Hope it’s not too cold for you all.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It might be worth looking into the sunshine supercard, if you do 4 days at sunshine and one at LL and 1 at norquay, that could still work out to be the best deal
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I also think whislt you may not get perishing cold, it can be colder than europe on a typical day. I would think about mittens for the kids and buying little hotties. On cold days you need something under the helmet, either a thin stretchy buff, an under helmet liner or a balaclava
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My son first learnt to ski in Banff aged 5 and we have been back many times. Once just me and him. You and your kids will love it!

If airport transfer is booked then no need to hire a car. Ski shuttles are very organised and reliable - and drop you right by the door if the resort. They’re coaches not European ski buses. Local bus service in Banff is also good and you can get to the Hot Springs etc

I’d also get a SkiBig3 pass - often online deals if you book in advance - and sometimes deals if you combine it with so hire. I’ve used them and Ultimate and both have been fine. Your lift passes will be waiting at the hotel for you and once you’ve been to the hire shop with a boot they will drop your skis off that night.

It would be a shame to go all that way and not see Lake Louise so definitely get a tri-area pass. The bus ride is simply stunning as well. Don’t overlook Norquay - it’s small but very friendly and great for a lazier day. Also has ski tuning included in the tri area pass which the kids will love

Ski school - your only choices are the resort ones! But they are very good, if not cheap! Small groups, English (obvs) and my son came on leaps and bounds

Banff is full of restaurants suitable for kids, if you want specific recommendations let me know!

Anything else you want to know about Banff just ask

Have fun
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just to add, its quite a long bus ride to Lake Louise, so maybe plan ahead which days you go there.
Sunshine village is really good fun and not so far on the bus, but dont be put off by the local mountain Norquay, its not very big but its close to town and it usually has a really fun park set up lower down with a small halfpipe/rails/jumps etc which your kids might love.
Take a lot of cold weather gear for the evenings!! (plus make sure the kids have good face masks for skiing/boarding) its been 15 year since I was there but it can get down to over -30 in the evenings with the wind chill so dont be tempted to wear jeans to dinner as they will freeze solid like cardboard on the walk to the bar Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If looking to save money, and don't have lodging sorted out, consider staying in a AirBNB in Canmore. You can also save money by buying lift tickets at Costco in Calgary.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SoloSkiMum, we've done Banff with our daughter for the last two years (she's now 12) and with friends whose kids are a couple of years younger.

We all got SkiBig3 passes but bought them early and the kids skied free. If you're too late for that (I suspect you may be) it might work out cheaper to bundle a resort pass in with lessons and then buy separate passes for the other days. I think lessons were cheaper at Louise than Sunshine, but you do need to factor in the longer days because of the longer bus journey.

The kids had lessons at Sunshine the first year and Louise the second. Ours preferred Louise, but that was mainly down to liking the instructors better.

Personally I would definitely use the shuttle busses - the schedules are accurate and it's easy to distract the kids with a hot chocolate if there's a short wait after skiing.

2022 wasn't cold at all, 2023 had a couple of -30 days. One we went for a walk up to the Fairmont in Banff and didn't ski at all, the other day I skied Norquay while the girls had a hotel day and went to the cinema. Plenty of food options in Banff depending on what you like - we had lovely Sushi at Hello Sunshine, a great Korean takeaway from Hankki and there are plenty of kid-friendly burger/pizza/an other places to choose from. And Cows ice-cream, irrespective of the cold!

It's really geared up for kids so I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not sure its still the case, but you used to get a '5 from 6' day pass to the Big 3 mountains, so you can take a down day out without feeling your burning a day of lift ticket, which may be good for the kids. There's snowmobiling or husky trekking nearby, or snowshoeing with the park rangers out by the Paintpots (the kids will learn how to make Maple taffy) or visit the frozen waterfalls at Johnsons Canyon.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all so much for this really useful info and tips - I'm writing it all down so I remember when I'm there! I also feel really reassured that I've not done a mad thing and that we might just have a brilliant holiday.
snow conditions
SoloSkiMum, I'm sure you will - watch out for all the wildlife, 4 legged variety, you'll see plenty of elk wandering around the town. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy