Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

30 Mar-6 April - where??

Poster: A snowHead
We decided not to ski this year, but actually I don’t think I can cope with that so now trying to find a holiday for 30 Mar-6 April. Our school holidays mean that’s the first week we can go, half term is out as too ££££.

The question is where? Budget is limited (circa £4.5-5k all in for family of four, two in ski school) and we want to be in France as we’ll self drive. Had a brilliant holiday with Peak Retreats in La Rosiere last year but it was a week earlier and I think would be too risky for the first week of April (or am I wrong on this? Would be delighted if I am!)

So, where shall we go? All suggestions v welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is Tignes les Boisses an option? Or 1800 as it seems to be known now! I did several seasons in Tignes and I’m sure it was always fine at that time of year but somehow when shelling out for a whole family holiday it seems more of a risky call!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some of the best conditions I have skied the past few years have been in April in Tignes.

Great location for April snow. You want as high as possible.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Italy, best maintained snow conditions I have ever seen in two separate trips in April
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sev112 wrote:
Italy, best maintained snow conditions I have ever seen in two separate trips in April

Would Montgenèvre still be ok at that time of year? I like the idea of cross border skiing and cross border eating!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@qpwoeiruty,
Chalet Chardons in Tignes?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kenzie wrote:
@qpwoeiruty,
Chalet Chardons in Tignes?

Looks great but we’re looking at self catering (sorry should have said!) Fussy kids makes catered chalets pointless at this stage!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@qpwoeiruty, We have regularly skied in the first or even second week of April and it is a great time to go. It would help to know what level of skiers you and your kids are.

If you are confident intermediates Tignes would be excellent and it is one of the most snow sure places. We went there in December and the snow depth was already incredible higher up. Tignes 1800 has some nice accommodation (loge des neiges and Kalinda) which is better value than staying higher up in Tignes. If you are driving you would be able to pop up to Tignes le lac in the evenings if you wanted to access any apres ski there. You could also look at Le Taos (Le Lac) or Ynycio (Val Claret) which would give you quicker access to ski in Val D'Isere but these places are more expensive. I know several people who have stayed in 1800 and been very happy there.

I'd also recommend the following:

Les Arcs (La Cime des Arcs or La Source des arcs in Arc 2000)
Montgenevre (Le Napoleon)

We have been to all these resorts and La Rosiere with Peak Retreats self drive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you! I’ve skied about 120 weeks, husband has skied 2 and children 1… Eh oh! so quite a variety. I’m happy to pootle around with the kids at this stage though so not bothered about huge distance, just as much snow surety at that end of the season as is possible. Quite like the idea of Tignes 1800 as après isn’t that high on the list with a 9 and 10 year old.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@qpwoeiruty, I think Tignes would be your best option as most snow sure and good accommodation options in Tignes 1800. I'm not really into apres ski either. We ski till the lifts shut then go to the pool and jacuzzi and tend to eat in most evenings. I think there are a few restaurants in Tignes 1800 if you needed a break from cooking and you would be able to hire a fondue set from the residence.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

then go to the pool and jacuzzi

Sounds like top notch apre ski to me
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't know Tignes very well, but with that caveat I'd be inclined to look at Val Claret or Tignes Le Lac - Les Boisses is out on a bit of a limb, isn't it?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val Thorens is also worth a look, obviously. Tignes has plenty of choice of apartments at different price points.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First week of April isn't that risky. We even went to La Norma in 2012 when it was real hot on arrival but we had a good week. With two kids in only there second week you don't need a big area. There are plenty of others, Valmeiner maybe.

Personally I think Tignes is a bit of a schlep to drive up to and you don't need it. But if you do want the altitude and big area our go to these days is Les Menuires.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 19-01-24 23:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Up until COVID I'd skied in April every year for about 20 years and the highest resort was about 1600M. Al most always had good snow though some years were obviously better than others.
Personally I find Northern aspect of slopes more important than height though having slopes at altitude is obviously helpful.
Tignes is obviously very reliable but can get pretty busy late season. One year we had powder on pistes virtually to ourselves on an Easter Saturday in Val Cenis.
snow report
Quote:

First week of April isn't that risky

True. We were always in Les Saisies till mid April - this year it closes 19 April though lower parts of the Espace Diamant close earlier. But I wouldn't recommend it to someone with the whole Alps to choose from!
snow report
Thanks so much everyone. Anyone have any views on Montgenèvre? Or Avoriaz?

What about La Rosière or do we think it’s too south facing for that week (on basis the kids are unlikely to make it over to the north facing La Thuile)
ski holidays
@Layne, Isn't Les Menuires south facing? It wouldn't be my first choice for Easter and I would also choose the drive to Tignes over the drive to Les Menuires/Val T. I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the three valleys. Much prefer Tignes/Val D'Isere.

It is true that lots of places could be good that week. We have sometimes enjoyed Flaine at Easter and it is a shorter drive. However I'd hesitate to recommend it as a top choice as the lower parts of the grand massif have not had the best start to the season although they seem ok at the moment.
snow report
VT.
snow report
qpwoeiruty wrote:
Thanks so much everyone. Anyone have any views on Montgenèvre? Or Avoriaz?

What about La Rosière or do we think it’s too south facing for that week (on basis the kids are unlikely to make it over to the north facing La Thuile)

La Rosiere will probably have a good snow depth but will be slushier than La Thuile in the afternoons. Therefore I would pick Montgenevre based on your kids current ski level.
snow conditions
@snowymum, the Mont de la Chambre side is south facing but altitude means is good for most of the day, just slushy later and Masse is north facing. And you have easy access to VT/Mont Vallon.

I believe it's half hour extra drive to Val Claret compared to Les Men - no biggie if in the grand scheme if it's worth it but as I say for the OP I don't think they, Personally, I think we should have spent more time at smaller resorts when the kids were young/inexperienced.
ski holidays
Thanks so much all - yes definitely balancing out altitude against not needing big resorts at this stage at all! Lots to think about.
snow report
We are a family of 4 (2 teen boys) and I very much like value for money skiing!! Since having the kids, we've always done DIY France - cheaper, more tailored and better options.

We've done Tignes Val C at Easter and going to Val T this Easter (same dates as you). I tend to think £4k covers it all:

£1,800 for lift pass and accommodation (booked appt direct with owner, ski in/out on slopes, 4 actual beds, on upper slopes with unobstructed mountain views)
Roughly £400 petrol and tolls
Roughly £214 on x3 hotels during journey (we like a leisurely drive!)
£287 tunnel crossing
Roughly £200 on ski hire (3 people)
Roughly £350 in supermarket (but we do bring lots of wine home!)
Roughly £250 for a couple of evening meals out during the week
Roughly £150 to cover on slope drinks/ad hoc items
Roughly £150 on an emergency or treat (ie forgotten item or extra curricular activity
£100 on parking (not needed at all resorts)

Don't think I've forgotten anything? But that's all sub £4k and not everything is fast and hard (eg eating out). Obviously you'd need to add on ski school and maybe more kit hire but you can easily flex a chunk of the budget!

The point I'm making is that big resorts with expensive lift passes are do-able at Easter due to cheaper accommodation costs.
latest report
qpwoeiruty wrote:
sev112 wrote:

Would Montgenèvre still be ok at that time of year? I like the idea of cross border skiing and cross border eating!

We were in Montgenevre late March last year, the north facing main side of the resort still had really good snow so I definitely wouldn’t discount it for your dates. We could still ski over to the Italian side too. The south facing Chalvet side was a bit slushy and churned up so we tended to avoid that part of the mountain. It should also come in budget too. We just did 3 people for new years week for about £3k all in.
snow report
And, of course, you do have to feed the kids even at home.... The useful budget from @kettonskimum is an excellent starting point. For a family of 4, lunch and drink on the slopes every day could easily cost £600, without going silly. That's one of the areas you can save if you have a conveniently-located apartment and manage expectations!

"Apres drinks" (or apres crepes) in a bar will also cost a LOT compared to a well stocked fridge at home. I once did a crepes party after skiing, in our apartment, and the kids worked out it would have cost 100 euros outside.

They all adored skiing and the lack of fancy eating out and endless drinks was just part of the scene. They all now have kids which they take skiing and they very much see the point! Skiing is a ruinously expensive holiday for many families. My mother came with us on our first holiday, self-catering in Austria. Went for two weeks because it seemed much better value per day! She and I shared cooking and she helped baby sit the 4 year old, who didn't want to ski the first week, just to watch. On that occasion we rented skis in Ayr and flew with them (no extra flight costs for skis, it was a package). We also took quite a lot of key ingredients for meals (with 6 people's baggage allowance we had plenty of space) and a pressure cooker! At that point (1987) everything in the local shop, and meals and drinks, seemed very expensive.

The apartment was lovely - warm and spacious - and spending time there was no hardship. There was also an outdoor thermal pool, which everybody enjoyed though my mother was startled by naked German bums in the changing hut. It was a tiny resort (been linked up with others since) which was ideal.

The problem is that once you've embarked on your first family ski holiday it becomes very difficult to stop......back then we took the kids out of school in the early, cheap, January weeks. It was years before we encountered lift queues!! That's much more difficult now, obviously.
snow conditions
kettonskimum wrote:
We are a family of 4 (2 teen boys) and I very much like value for money skiing!! Since having the kids, we've always done DIY France - cheaper, more tailored and better options.

We've done Tignes Val C at Easter and going to Val T this Easter (same dates as you). I tend to think £4k covers it all:

£1,800 for lift pass and accommodation (booked appt direct with owner, ski in/out on slopes, 4 actual beds, on upper slopes with unobstructed mountain views)
Roughly £400 petrol and tolls
Roughly £214 on x3 hotels during journey (we like a leisurely drive!)
£287 tunnel crossing
Roughly £200 on ski hire (3 people)
Roughly £350 in supermarket (but we do bring lots of wine home!)
Roughly £250 for a couple of evening meals out during the week
Roughly £150 to cover on slope drinks/ad hoc items
Roughly £150 on an emergency or treat (ie forgotten item or extra curricular activity
£100 on parking (not needed at all resorts)

Don't think I've forgotten anything? But that's all sub £4k and not everything is fast and hard (eg eating out). Obviously you'd need to add on ski school and maybe more kit hire but you can easily flex a chunk of the budget!

The point I'm making is that big resorts with expensive lift passes are do-able at Easter due to cheaper accommodation costs.

That £1,800 is incredible. It’s €1,200 alone for 6 day lift passes for a family of 4.
snow conditions
We are currently pricing Easter week in Les Saisies. Admittedly a cheaper and smaller resort than Val Thorens, but a 6 day family lift pass for four is 798 and decent apartments, very close to slopes, can be found for 800 - 900, and even less if happy with small place. It's still a lot of money, though..... with travel added. But with careful planning feeding a family for the week (well) need not cost much more than feeding them at home. And even resort shops have a good range of wine for sale, for not too much cash.
snow report
@Snow&skifan, Yes, 1200 Euros for lift pass and 900 for really good accommodation =£1,800
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy