Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Ski Company for Kids childcare and lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just back from a brilliant week in Les Menuires with Ski Famille and we're already talking about booking again for next year. We've been twice with SF, first time our youngest was too little for ski lessons so the childcare was perfect, this time she's 3 years so did have lessons but again the afternoon childcare was invaluable for us to ski with our older children and she loved it.

What I'd like to know is if other family ski companies offer the same level of childcare options at the same time as covering all other bases like sorting all lessons, passes, ski hire? The one thing we'd like to do is to be able to drive (and save some ££££) and SF include flights in their packages. While our youngest is still small we'd like the childcare option until she is old enough to ski with us in the afternoons.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Shivx5, try the Family Ski Company. Very similar offering but without flights, IIRC.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Esprit. It's been a while but it was all seamless and with a self drive option too. Kids were very happy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowbizz at Puy St Vincent. We came back from there on Christmas Eve having also been last year - wife and kids only started skiing last year whereas I have been going since the mid 1980s. They sort all lessons, childcare available before the lessons, ski passes and ski hire all arranged by them too. The accommodation is fairly basic self catering but it's ski in/ski out. PSV is not a huge place but I found I could do a couple of hours by myself each day which kept me occupied before doing some easier stuff with the family.

Snowbizz is run by lovely people too, nothing seems to be too much trouble.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 on Snowbizz were brilliant for us.

Giving club Piou Piou with ESF a go this time at saint francois longchamp as didn't want to be tied into a specific operator dictating the rest of the holiday just for childcare.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another +1 for Snowbizz. We actually went by train (Eurostar plus sleeper to Briancon) when we went with them but self drive is possible too.

Alternatively use a self drive TO like Peak Retreats who would be able to book your ski extras and lessons/childcare with the ESF. We did this when our youngest was 3 and stayed in La Rosiere (Les Eucharts area). The kids did morning ski school plus lunch club and skied with us in the afternoons but there was an option of afternoon childcare too. I recommend staying in the Alparena apartments there which are slopeside, high end and have access to a lovely pool/jacuzzi set up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowbizz.

We went with them 11 times, they turned our kids into decent skiers, at the same time they had fun and we liked the slopes. Fond memories for all of us. They're flexible on how you travel, in later years we flew to Turin or Marseille, cheap flights, cheap car rental and very easy drives.

Their ski school partner is in a different league from ESF.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Esprit worked for us, it doesn't run as many resorts these days but the childcare was excellent and their organisation of lessons was superb - I think their contract with local ski schools includes hand-picking which instructors to use. On one occasion we came across our daughter's group and they were being tracked by an Esprit rep with a clipboard recording how the instructor met expectations.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Snowbizz looks great and my only reservation is self-catering. We have a large family so not having to cook breakfast or dinner is always a real draw. How expensive is eating out in PSV? We found Les Menuires pricey this year compared to La Plagne 2 years ago but this could just be due to increased cost of living.

I've just seen that Esprit cover Tignes which is on my list of places to go so that might be a go-er too. I need the 24/25 booking to be available now so we can make a plan.

Family Ski have chalets in Reberty so that's also a definite contender as they cater too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for Esprit, we used them until kids were copetent skiers, were always great.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for Esprit. Also their Chalet Corniche has a very good location in Tignes 2100 (Le Lac).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Snowbizz looks great and my only reservation is self-catering. We have a large family so not having to cook breakfast or dinner is always a real draw. How expensive is eating out in PSV? We found Les Menuires pricey this year compared to La Plagne 2 years ago but this could just be due to increased cost o

We would normally pick up croissant etc from the on site supermarket, they were about 1 euro 30 cents. There's a few restaurants there as well, typically 17-20 Euros for a main course. Not a huge selection but you can also get take away pizza from a couple of the bars.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another +1 for Snowbizz, we went with them several times when the kids were small. Self catering and half-board.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would you consider the Kinderhotels in Austria? They are amazing and offer incredible facilities and care. We like the Löwen in Serfaus Ballenspitz in Galtur but there are lots!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’ve done snowbizz once, it’s in a different league from ski famille. I think if we had a bigger budget it’s not who we’d chose as accommodation is super basic & no swimming pool or jacuzzi option. Also I didn’t like that the under 5s only get 1 hour ski lessons with their childcare package (though with the crèche it works out as 4hrs total childcare time & you can book in for more if you want), I want them to learn to tolerate more outdoor time than that on skis from a young age, I believe the older ages only get 2hrs lessons which again seemed quite short. They just use an instructor from ESF but booked specifically to snowbizz and the smaller capped numbers they operate to. We are about to try a kinder hotel in Serfaus Austria, mind it doesn’t come cheap & I don’t exactly know how the childcare works but the hotel sounded really fun, it’s 3/4 board.
snow report
Another vote for Ski Esprit - used them for many years while the kids were young and they were amazing. The childcare was great and then the balance between lessons and playtime was also great as they got older. Not sure if its quite the same no post Brexit as I am sure that will have impacted them but pre-brexit I would highly recommend them. Used them in Tignes, Val d'Isère, Gressoney and St. Anton

Always went catered chalets/hotels and always got on with everyone else and kids had great fun with others. Never had any problems
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Would you consider the Kinderhotels in Austria? They are amazing and offer incredible facilities and care. We like the Löwen in Serfaus Ballenspitz in Galtur but there are lots!

I would second Kinderhotels in Austria. We had several great New Year's holidays at the Hotel Lengauerhof in Hinterglemm (and summer hols there too) with lots of kids in our party. Not only does the hotel cater very well for children, but the ski school used to pick them up by minibus in the morning and they had lessons am and pm with lunch in between at the ski school's own restaurant (think burger and chips, fish fingers and chips, etc). We would collect them from the meeting place mid-afternoon and then ski with them for an hour or two.

Saalbach Hinterglemm is not too far from Salzburg airport. We used to hire cars, but a transfer shouldn't be too exhorbitant.

We've also used Ski Esprit at least four times and this always worked really well too, although their prices look rather scary nowadays. That said, we're still paying for our 25 year-old daughter's ski holidays, so no savings there!
snow conditions
Hi All - brand new to snowHeads and grateful for any thoughts - really want to get our kids aged nearly 6 and 3 learning. I may need refresher lessons as been so long since I skied and OH is a rusty snowboarder.

Looked at Snowbizz and Ski Famille as a last minute booking this season, hamstrung by school hols. SF only had 6-13th April available and Snowbizz had Feb half term 10-17 Feb and Easter 31/3-7/4 available.

I think SF chalets are in Les Menuires and Snowbizz apartments in Puy St Vincent. What do people think about likelihood of decent snow in these two resorts in either Feb or April? I know you can’t forecast the weather but given that both companies seem to cost a couple of grand more for the Feb half term week vs Easter week I thought it might be because they expect snow to be more reliable in February?

I’m no expert skier so don’t expect powder but also don’t want to have to ski on ice or slush.

Do the kids’ learning areas have snow cannons to help create snow lower down or will they need to get a lift to learner slopes higher up in either resort?

Does it tend to be much greyer and colder in either resort in Feb as opposed to April? As we’d love to ski in the sun but wondered if Puy St Vincent gets much sun as it’s north/northeast facing?

I know the above might be considered a weather question but also relates to the kids’ learner slopes and why it costs notably more to go in Feb. Both companies told me they’ve never had a problem with lack of snow/poor conditions in April. So it seems tempting to go in April cost wise but it might not be worth the saving if conditions are poor or everything’s started closing at the end of the season so might lack atmos or happy staff?
snow report
@Mo24, February is more expensive because it is peak season, and multiple countries (including France) have their mid term breaks then.
Many French people don't ski at Easter.

Weather wise, yes on balance February should be colder and maybe have better snow. But season by season it varies, and skiing at Easter has advantages - longer days, warmer (good for small children), quieter. Pistes may be firm early in the morning, and soft/slushy later on, especially lower down. But overall I'd say Easter is a better time for young families.
latest report
@Mo24, half term is pretty much bound to have good snow everywhere, but you may get miserable weather (wind, blizzard etc) which is likely to be tough for little ones. Easter is a bit more problematic with snow softening in the afternoon but it is earlier this year than the last few years, and things are likely to be much more fun with longer daylight hours and a better chance of sunshine. And of course fewer lift queues.

And a 3 year old is only going to need a functioning nursery slope (magic carpet). Six year old is likely to be taken further on easy runs, and will benefit from less busy pistes and those shorter queues. As parents of first time skiers you will need to fit round them, but it doesn't sound as if you would need the whole Three Valleys at your disposal which you have from Les Menuires.

I have skiied Les Menuires at Easter and conditions were fine; I have never been to Puy St Vincent so you would have to check their record but resorts generally try to align their seasons with dates that are likely to be OK.

I would on balance opt for the first Easter week.
latest report
Did Esprit a couple of times with my lad. Worked well for me as a single dad as they had some smaller rooms for two.

My lad loved it. Made friends with his ski group who he went with for morning lessons. You can collect after at about 12, or as I did, paid for him to have lunch with his group and collected after. We the skied a little in the PM.

Depending on age and how you want to do it, kids all eat together with their ski groups and new friends (you can family dine if you wish) before going to evening kids club. Adults eat at 7pm. In my case, it was big tables, various couples and singles like me randomly sat together. Was good way to make friends.

Main takeaway was my lad absolutely loved it. Childcare was great, he loved the skiing, and made loads of friends.
ski holidays
Thanks very much mgrolf and jb for your swift and helpful replies re. the time of season to go!

I will look into first week of April and also look into Esprit (thanks Boofont) and Family Ski as well as Ski Famille and Snowbizz.
snow report
@mgrolf, pse see above - thank you!
ski holidays
@j b, as above - thank you!
latest report
@FionaG, feel your pain re paying for the ski hols of adult offspring!

We did a fair few esprit hols “back in the day” (ie 2008-2013) and always had a good time. No idea what they’re like now though. A workmate did Club Med with young kids and spoke highly of them.
snow report
@Mo24, NP - happy to help.

If you’re thinking about going April and with out teaching you to suck eggs, I would be looking for somewhere high. Puy St Vincent Maybe a little low? I’ve not been so not sure.

If you’re booking well in advance for an April trip my advice book somewhere snow sure just in case.
latest report
Thanks @Boofont, yes I've wondered about that - especially as a friend recommended Saalbach-Hinterglemm but I noticed that a lot of the hotels there stop accepting guests from 1st April (but are offering all inclusive package deals for the last week in March) except one Kinderhotel called the Ellmauhof who is still running the first week of April - so it makes me think that perhaps Hinterglemm is a bit low down for Easter skiing? Or it might feel a bit like everyone is packing up around you? (Not great!)

I read elsewhere on this site that one person recommended somewhere called Central Flachau but not sure how objective their recommendation was. Also not sure how high up/snow sure it is either?

Do you think Courchevel is better for more likely to be snow sure first week of April as Trip Advisor seems to have a few hotels on there still offering rooms that week. If so, I wondered what people's experience of the ESF in Courchevel, or the 3 valleys generally is on here? Because the main draw for going to Puy St Vincent is the ski school run by Snowbizz that I've read good reviews about - not so much it's accommodation which is basic. Snowbizz say they don't have a problem with snow in April but would be good to hear from someone who doesn't work for them. Wink
latest report
@Boofont, Sorry didn't click on your name earlier to submit @Boofont!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mo24, Forget Saalbach-Hinterglemm, too low. Courchevel is part of the 3V so you can access high altitude skiing but I’m not sure how snow sure the resort is itself (I’ve never stayed there, only skied there from Les Menures and VT), and it’s expensive but then you might be loaded, lol!

If you’re going 3V, go Val Thoren, IMO anyway.

I’ve done Easter trips (1st week of April) x2 to Val d’Isere, and x1 to La Plagne, both high altitude so options there.

I’m afraid I can’t give advice on high altitude Austria as I’ve only been to Saalbach, and that’s low, although a fantastic resort and would be great in Feb.

Another thing to consider, if you’re mostly going to get the kids started, you don’t need a big area. Big areas have expensive lift passes.

To be honest @Mo24, might be better to start your own post asking exactly what it is you’re looking for. I’m sure no one minds the questions on this post but not every snowhead will be reading. You’ll likely get more advice on a more visible post. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Mo24, I've not been to PSV but looking at the piste map I saw there are stations at 1400, 1600 and 1800 and then going to the Snowbizz website it seems they are at 1600 - which is pretty decent. I've been to Les Menuires several times late season, which is at 1850 and it's fine but also the Snowbizz says of PSV:

"Much of Puy’s popularity has to do with its fantastic snow record. It’s a well recorded fact that its genuine micro-climate will often give it those extra falls of snow which, over the season, will ultimately make a huge difference to the overall snow depth."

And "From the Snowbizz base at 1600m, the skiing extends up the mountain to 2750m and down to the village at 1400m – making for an impressive 1350m vertical drop.".

PSV is much smaller than Les M/3V but as mentioned above in your situ you don't need such a big area.
snow report
I've not used Snowbizz or indeed stayed in PSV but I have skied there several times late season including into April when I have been on holiday to Serre Che. It's certainly had decent snow whenever I've been and I would personally think it is likely to be plenty good enough for young children when learning . We used to regularly ski in Serre Che with the children at this age in the Easter holidays.
snow conditions
Following this as planning for my trip in Dec/Jan!
snow report
@Boofont, “@Mo24, Forget Saalbach-Hinterglemm, too low”

I know I’m sticking my neck out here, but one of my favourite times to ski in Saalbach is early April, when there are often superb conditions and empty pistes. That’s based on many years of skiing throughout the season in the Ski Circus.

This year the whole area is apparently being kept open for the first week of April. I have friends - a family with two kids - who have opted for Saalbach, in preference to Les Menuires. Quite apart from the general attractiveness factor, they wanted somewhere further east, where the snow tends to be better at lower altitudes (owing to the different weather system and lack of warm winds blowing in off the Gulf Stream).

Saalbach’s “Easter bonus” (free lift passes for children under 15) was also a factor.

If, unusually, the conditions are poor, the Kitzsteinhorn glacier is less than half an hour’s drive away, and covered by the same lift pass, with extensive skiing up to 3,000m and conditions typically like January. But, when I’ve told people that in the past, they’ve generally been happy to stick to Saalbach, where there is generally good skiing on all slopes in the mornings, and plenty of north-facing skiing at Leogang, Fieberbrunn, and the Schattberg/Zwölferkogel side of the Glemm valley later in the day.
snow report
@tatmanstours, well there you go! You’ll know better than me with your “boots on the ground” perspective. Thanks. Very happy to be corrected.

For those that don’t know, tatmanstours is a major contributor (could say “owner”) to the Saalbach-Hinterglemm etc. post in the “Resort Reviews and Trip Reports” section.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5237161#5237161
snow report
@Boofont, of course, after saying the above, it’ll no doubt be a slush fest this Easter - although the worst place I ever skied at Easter was Courchevel, when water skis would have been more appropriate, followed by Alpe d’Huez, when we got rain all the way to the top and the snow turned orange from sand blown up from the Sahara.
But I remind myself never to blame a resort for weather - especially freak or unusual weather.
ski holidays
Sorry for radio silence, January happened rolling eyes

Anyway, thank you for all the recommendations. We're likely going to book for Snowbizz PSV although I'm not sure about the quality snow for Christmas week? This gives us a nice happy medium between catered chalet to fully self booking everything. Our youngest will be 4.5 by then and I think we need/ want the option of afternoon childcare for another year at least so we can ski with the older kids in the afternoons.
latest report
Mo24 wrote:
Hi All - brand new to snowHeads and grateful for any thoughts - really want to get our kids aged nearly 6 and 3 learning. I may need refresher lessons as been so long since I skied and OH is a rusty snowboarder.

Looked at Snowbizz and Ski Famille as a last minute booking this season, hamstrung by school hols. SF only had 6-13th April available and Snowbizz had Feb half term 10-17 Feb and Easter 31/3-7/4 available.

I think SF chalets are in Les Menuires and Snowbizz apartments in Puy St Vincent. What do people think about likelihood of decent snow in these two resorts in either Feb or April? I know you can’t forecast the weather but given that both companies seem to cost a couple of grand more for the Feb half term week vs Easter week I thought it might be because they expect snow to be more reliable in February?

I’m no expert skier so don’t expect powder but also don’t want to have to ski on ice or slush.

Do the kids’ learning areas have snow cannons to help create snow lower down or will they need to get a lift to learner slopes higher up in either resort?

Does it tend to be much greyer and colder in either resort in Feb as opposed to April? As we’d love to ski in the sun but wondered if Puy St Vincent gets much sun as it’s north/northeast facing?

I know the above might be considered a weather question but also relates to the kids’ learner slopes and why it costs notably more to go in Feb. Both companies told me they’ve never had a problem with lack of snow/poor conditions in April. So it seems tempting to go in April cost wise but it might not be worth the saving if conditions are poor or everything’s started closing at the end of the season so might lack atmos or happy staff?

Easter falls pretty early this year, we went to La Plagne (1800) Easter 2022 the weather was amazing and skiing was great until the 4/5th day when ski in became difficult but that Easter week fell mid- late April. Les Menuires is the same altitude but far more shaded in the afternoons that Plagne 1800.

Which les menuires chalet are you looking at? We went to Coco de niege and it was the best holiday we've ever had.
snow report
Shivx5 wrote:
Mo24 wrote:

Easter falls pretty early this year, we went to La Plagne (1800) Easter 2022 the weather was amazing and skiing was great until the 4/5th day when ski in became difficult but that Easter week fell mid- late April. Les Menuires is the same altitude but far more shaded in the afternoons that Plagne 1800.

Which les menuires chalet are you looking at? We went to Coco de niege and it was the best holiday we've ever had.

Hi, I am staying in Coco de niege with Ski Famille this Saturday for a week. I am therefore delighted you have given it such high praise!

I presume you are not long back? What did you like about it? Any tips?

Many thanks in advance.

Edit..just noticed you were there in December. Very keen to here you thoughts on the hotel.
snow conditions
We had amazing conditions 2nd week of Jan 2022 in PSV, this year January conditions have been pretty crap even in the final week of this month the mountain has been slush. Conditions over Xmas week this year were the best of the 3 weeks for us this season. Bottom line is you can’t predict the weather! It could be great, it could be bad, Xmas week always runs higher risk of being bad but with mountains you take your chance at any time. I really like PSV as a resort & snowbizz were good on the childcare front but I can’t state that what they offer & the accommodation is on the basic side. Personally with a now 4yr old I would want a place with other activities like a pool, when we went to PSV our child was 3 & with naps there was no time for anything other than 4hr morning childcare followed by sleep. At 4 he wants to be doing something else after skiing and last year in PSV there wasn’t even a pay for pool. If you’re going with a group it will be fine for playmates as an option but I didn’t find it a very sociable offering as a group of 3 but that didn’t matter for a very tired 3yr old!
ski holidays
How about Club Med? Although another level on the price front - you can do own transport... and got to love a buffet...(plus all the childcare and ski lessons/lift passes for everyone...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy