Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski train map

Poster: A snowHead
This is pretty cool. Probably more marketing than practical but nice to see it laid out so clearly

https://www.inthesnow.com/rail-routes-to-resorts/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That’s brilliant
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seem s really odd to me that it's only including France and Italy. As if there aren't any other trains in Europe.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chaletbeauroc, as it says “ in conjunction with France Montagnes and Explore France”, so unlikely to include other country. I’ve got a rail map on one sheet that covers most if Europe though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is very clear but from a quick glance, rather long and complicated (need to switch/transfer more than once)
Maurienne resorts from Gare de Lyon might work out.
Anyone managed to do some of the itineraries detailed?
One could reach Briancon from Gare d'Austerlitz (last time there we drove from GVA through Frejus rolling eyes ) but it would take a loong time (there's also a night train on Sundays it seems) and seems better to start from Turin.
Daniel's website is excellent and helpful for carbon emission aware travelers but I happen to think that nothing beats Zurich to Arlberg by train/bus or even the longer Munchen to Zillertal.
I have tried Innsbruck to Obergurgl by bus and train (price and awareness) but it was also time consuming due to the waiting period in Otztal station.
Still I like train journeys to the Alps, I wish we could make a subforum/sticky with routes and detailed plans
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are similar maps covering more countries, e.g. http://www.2thealps.com/skiing-by-train-maps_copy.htm

A minor problem with the OP's map is that it shows some links between railway stations and resort bases which as far as I know can't be done by public transport (other than taxis).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chaletbeauroc, "created by independent rail-ski website Snowcarbon, in conjunction with France Montagnes and Explore France" - surely not so odd at all then?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And some of those transfers are going to be a bit €€€ I'd have thought ...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Train travel to the mountains in Europe is unnecessarily complex.

Endless uncertainty about what goes where, when, how, and how much.

Surprised SnowHeads has not setup a traintravel subsection, simplified the research process, and partnered with a ticket reseller.

Some dollar to be made.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @Whitegold, A lot of us take the train from the UK to the alps.
Its a great way to travel and it can be complicated but that adds to the excitement factor.
If you are interested in traveling by train there is a great resource from the man in Seat 61.
seat61 ...
https://www.seat61.com/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Direct from Gare Australitz to Briancon (thus Serre Chevalier) is one many people don't know. It includes a night train, usually with couchettes.
Map rather fuzzy to read.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 26-09-23 15:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers @snowball, I did not know about that one.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
Train travel to the mountains in Europe is unnecessarily complex.

Interesting that the one ski resort where the train actually stops at the base of the ski runs is not on the map.

Apart from that, starting your holiday with a complex, strike prone travel method that will take you ages to get to the ski resort in a filthy, unreliable, bug riddled train and bus transfer is just more stress you could do without.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Map rather fuzzy to read

@snowball, if you click on the link entitled "The map is available as a PDF and as JPG and PNG, downloadable from Dropbox here." you can get a PDF version that's crystal clear.

Quote:

the one ski resort where the train actually stops at the base of the ski runs is not on the map

Which one is that @davidof?

I think it's very nicely drawn and for me will definitely be a handy resource but I would have to fill in some other gaps to get best use. I like to use the trains for various trips whilst staying in Tignes and driving down to Montmelian (located at the junction of the Tarantaise / Maurienne lines just short of Chambery but not on this map), then using the rail network makes for some easy and relaxed journeys from a handy point on the network.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Isn't Orelle now linked directly to Val Thorens via gondola for pedestrians (with a lift pass)?
ski holidays
Indeed it is; skiers can use the gondola too I believe. But I don't think there's a train station at Orelle. I think you'd need to get off at Modane or St Michel.
snow conditions
bobski62 wrote:
Indeed it is; skiers can use the gondola too I believe. But I don't think there's a train station at Orelle. I think you'd need to get off at Modane or St Michel.

Correct
ski holidays
bobski62 wrote:

No, the train whizzes by, rather annoyingly at that is a big missed opportunity to have a small halt. Still it doesn't whizz anywhere at the moment as the line is blocked by 1000 tonnes of rubble.
latest report
bobski62 wrote:

Which one is that @davidof?

can anyone guess.

Oh and SNCF are on strike again and Trenitalia are running a very limited service due to... well not being able to get from Italy to France due to the railway being blocked.
snow report
The only ski resort on that map that i recognise as at a train station is Bourg StMaurice. Everywhere else seems to require a bus.
ski holidays
crosbie wrote:
The only ski resort on that map that i recognise as at a train station is Bourg StMaurice.

What about the Chamonix valley resorts? (The thinner black line simply means they are served by a narrow gauge rather than standard gauge railway). And Aosta (direct gondola connection to Pila)?

And by Autumn 2024 St Gervais will have completed the gondola currently under construction linking the railway station to the rest of the lift system.

But obviously missing out Swiss resorts means losing the majority of directly rail-linked ski areas.
snow conditions
Quote:

he only ski resort on that map that i recognise as at a train station is Bourg StMaurice. Everywhere else seems to require a bus.

as mentioned above, Briancon is the base town for Serre Chevalier. The gondola is about a 15 minute walk from the station
snow report
Ok, let's list towns reachable by railway stations that have a ski lift (chair, funicular or cable car) within 15 mins walking from town centre:

1) Bourg St Maurice
2) Briançon
3) Chamonix

Maybe these need to be divided into mainline stations and branch line stations?

Or, how many train changes are involved between UK Eurostar station and resort station?
snow report
https://www.freewheelingfrance.com/where-to-go/french-alps-bus-and-train-map.html

latest report
Following this thread I have found out that I can get an overnight train (Friday night) from Malmö directly into the austrian alps, and changing at Zell am See to get to the likes of St Anton in an additional 90 mins.

Absolutely fantastic news and something that I will use as soon as possible with the family.
ski holidays
Legend. wrote:
Following this thread I have found out that I can get an overnight train (Friday night) from Malmö directly into the austrian alps, and changing at Zell am See to get to the likes of St Anton in an additional 90 mins.

Absolutely fantastic news and something that I will use as soon as possible with the family.

1.5hrs from Zell am See seems not long enough? 3hrs 11 mins is the fastest I can see this weekend for a direct train, which is the EC164 between Graz and Zurich.
latest report
Just after the pandemic I tried to organise a trip using the overnight cochette from Paris to Briancon. I booked the Eurostar well in advance to get a good price. The Paris/Briancon leg tickets only would go on sale 3 months before.

I checked every day for the tickets to come on sale and found out that no train ran on the nights we needed due to engineering works. There is no way to find out further than 3 months if the train will run on the day you want. It was so frustrating. I had to reorganise with late booked flights to Turin and go through the pain of trying to get vouchers from Eurostar.

Not being able to check or buy tickets more than 3 months in advance is a real problem for me.
latest report
I did do a day time trip from Reading to Oulx with a short taxi to Mongenvre over New Year which worked out well and was quite manageable in a day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swskier wrote:
Legend. wrote:

1.5hrs from Zell am See seems not long enough? 3hrs 11 mins is the fastest I can see this weekend for a direct train, which is the EC164 between Graz and Zurich.

Yeah you are right. It is still a 90 minute second train (to St Anton) as it is directly into Innsbruck from Malmo rather than Zell as I wrote incorrectly earlier.
snow report
I've just received a detailed email from SnowCarbon, Daniel's excellent website.
It says:

Winter trains go on sale 4th October at 6am French time
Dear everyone,

A heads up about trains going on sale.

SNCF has confirmed to me that this Wednesday 04 October 2023, at around 6am French time, trains in France will go on sale, for the first period of winter.

This is the information that I have proactively managed to elicit from SNCF’s press office. Honestly, it’s been like trying to get that last bit of ketchup out the bottle: you have to try multiple times and never quite get all of it.

Across the travel industry, organisations that should have access to this info (rail-booking websites and agents) have been left in the dark by SNCF. Baffling really.

Booking dates

10 Dec 2023 - 09 Jan 2024
- sales open at around 6am on 04 October 2023

10 Jan 2024 - 09 Feb 2024
'Sales open progressively' *

10 Feb 2024 - 24 March 2024
- sales open 15 November 2023

25 March onwards
Sales open at a date that SNCF won't divulge yet

And for OUIGO (a low-cost TGV to some destinations) the entire winter season (and beyond, actually, until 04 July 2024) goes on sale on 04 October. You can see a list of OUIGO destinations here: https://www.ouigo.com/destinations
ski holidays
Amazing thank you
snow conditions
@drporat, very useful, thanks.
snow report
The Ouigo timings on a Saturday in Jan are once a day. 10:42 from Paris to moutiers and return 18:12 to Paris.

You could just about do it if you leave a risky 56 min crossing in Paris by leaving London on the 6:30 train. But would have to stay in Paris overnight for return. However can get 7 days skiing

First glance at SNCF ones are not much more £ but can only be booked until 9th jan. So can only see first weekend prices.

I’ll wait to hope they release another 2 weeks soon as I’m going 20-27th
snow conditions
drporat, I agree that each year it is amazingly difficult to discover the date French winter train tickets go on sale.
SnowCarbon is an excellent site for train information.
Also worth getting information from connexionfrance.com: they told us on Oct 1st when train tickets would go on sale ( https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/Covid-boosters-train-ticket-deals-Dates-to-note-in-France-in-October ).

Then it is really important to be ready online at 5.00am (6am French time) to make sure you get the lowest fares: they can rise quite quickly as the days go by.
snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
Ok, let's list towns reachable by railway stations that have a ski lift (chair, funicular or cable car) within 15 mins walking from town centre:

1) Bourg St Maurice
2) Briançon
3) Chamonix

Maybe these need to be divided into mainline stations and branch line stations?

Or, how many train changes are involved between UK Eurostar station and resort station?

None of those have a train station at the base of the slopes. Although Chamonix is close, the stop at le Montets up the valley would be better with slopes directly at the stop.

but no, I'm talking about somewhere you can ski to the station. C'mon snowheads, must try harder.
ski holidays
@davidof, that will be Rendl to St. Anton's bahnhof only, from what I know...
You made us curious. And tempted.
snow conditions
If anyone is curious, you can take the OUIGO direct from Lyon airport to Bourg St Maurice for 16€
Or, Grenoble (bus station) to Bourg or Moutiers is 10€
Snap up the cheap prices before they go up! Toofy Grin
snow report
northernrookie wrote:
If anyone is curious, you can take the OUIGO direct from Lyon airport to Bourg St Maurice for 16€

one train a day and nearly 4 hours trip !
ski holidays
northernrookie wrote:
The return journey from BSM to Lyon Airport is too late for all (?) the BA flights back to the UK, arriving at the airport at 9.30pm. It's a shame as this would have been a civilised, if extremely slow, transfer option.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
northernrookie wrote:
The return journey from BSM to Lyon Airport is too late for all (?) the BA flights back to the UK, arriving at the airport at 9.30pm. It's a shame as this would have been a civilised, if extremely slow, transfer option.

where is your sense of adventure? You can sleep in the train station and get the red-eye next day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy