Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Van driver stopped on the pistes of la Thuile

Poster: A snowHead
Cazzo!

A 24 year old Bielorussian van driver has been stopped by pisteurs on the 7 piste in la Thuile. He was hoping to drive his Renault Master van to France via the Petit St Bernard pass and avoid the Mont Blanc tunnel toll.

He was fined 200 euros and told to make a U turn.

https://www.gazzettamatin.com/2024/02/13/tenta-di-raggiungere-la-francia-furgone-sulle-piste-da-sci-200-euro-di-multa/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing If I understood that correctly he wasn't drunk and he had put his snow chains on. Could have been worse. Probably all in a day's work where he comes from.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given its about 8*C this week, he could have probably made it over to La Rosiere no problem
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yet another example of someone ignoring the Piste Closed signs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lol
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not testing out a novel invasion route?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
t44tomo wrote:
Given its about 8*C this week, he could have probably made it over to La Rosiere no problem

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shame he didn't get a fair attempt over Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kat.ryb wrote:
Shame he didn't get a fair attempt over Very Happy Very Happy

yes, should have let him try but it would have trashed the piste
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have to confess that, many years ago, I drove to Les Arcs from Geneva in the days before SatNav. My brother was navigating and, as I was the only one over 25 at the time, I was the sole driver.

It was quite a long drive due to very snowy conditions so when I saw the signs saying 'Les Arcs 1km' I was happy. I was rather less happy on rounding a corner to discover that the road had now become a piste ... really a piste, not just a metaphor. On carefully checking the map we discovered that our navigator had missed the 'Road only accessible in summer' marking on the map.

I was then even less happy to discover that getting to Les Arcs would now entail a massive drive all the way back down the mountain, through the Mont Blanc tunnel, and back up the other side ... a journey of at least four and more likely 5-6 hours. I seriously contemplated putting the snow chains on and seeing if we could make it over the piste and into Les Arcs ... but was dissuaded by some rather nervous passengers.

Oh, and final piece of bad fortune; we had ONE CD in the hire car and the radio didn't work. I've never, ever, in the ensuring years listened to the Fun Loving Criminals again as six hours continuous was more than enough for a lifetime.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The advantage of SatNav would not be that you went the right route, it would be that you didn't fall out with your brother.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just remembering quite a few years ago coming across a delivery driver in the car park at the bottom of the Ardent gondola - PDS - he had a delivery to the cafe at the top of the Mossettes chair lift. He had been hoping to drive there…
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clearly, all of these situations could have been resolved with This modification.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Blackblade, I hope you had the album and not just the EP. But didn’t they sell English CDs in France back then?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just checking.....was he clicking his doors or shouting "on your right" on the way past people?
snow report
Even fairly modern satnavs can lead you that way….. Nit me I hasten to add
snow report
few years ago my wife was sking down the piste to Soelden and narrowly missed a van. The piste crossed the road without even a zebra crossing.

The first time I skied from La Rossiere to La Thuile I was impressed that the piste had loads of chevrons marking out sharp turns. It was only when we had gone down a bit and saw the tarmac on the piste that I twigged I was sking down the road.

I believe that during the first and second world wars there were cannons stationed at Courbaton to protect the pass.
snow conditions
ster wrote:
@Blackblade, I hope you had the album and not just the EP. But didn’t they sell English CDs in France back then?

Yes, we did have the album. I think fortunately as I'd have gone stark staring mad with just the EP. We didn't think to buy another one though (hangs head in shame) !
snow report
Is that a 'beware elephants' road sign in the photograph?
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Even fairly modern satnavs can lead you that way….. Nit me I hasten to add

Coming out of Ste Foy, onto Tignes road, destination Val Cenis, my satnav is insistent that I should route over Isere pass and keeps telling me to turn round when convenient, until we pass Moutier Laughing

The "Escargo" green piste in ValmCenis is the old pass route over to Italy. Skiing down it with all the road signage and route furniture quite a surreal experience.
snow report
Quote:

The "Escargo" green piste in ValmCenis is the old pass route over to Italy.

I've driven over it on my motorcycle. Is there any trace of the old mountain railway over the top.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I've driven over it on my motorcycle. Is there any trace of the old mountain railway over the top.

Yes to the railway...if you mean predecessor to the now Frejus tunnel. You can drive up above eastern end of Modane and see elements of it, with some history display about it. Theres a funny part sinking building up there the gives really weird perspective when you photgraph as its rotated down at one corner about 20 degree.

Sounds like a good motorcycle ride in Nice weather, going over the VC pass...the whole valley being very interesting too.

Another "multi" route is Samoens to Morzine...Col du Joux Plan on Tour D France, with the climb passing top of chair in Les Gets, then descending on blue piste to Morzine finish.
ski holidays
@ski3, Yes, that's the railway I meant. The history is quite fascinating as it was designed as the fast route to India.

That day's ride started in Briancon, then over to Italy followed by cols Cenis and Isere, Cormet de Roseland and finished on the banks of Lac Annecy. Hauling the BSA loaded with camping gear was quite hard work.
snow report
johnE wrote:
@ski3, Yes, that's the railway I meant. The history is quite fascinating as it was designed as the fast route to India.

That day's ride started in Briancon, then over to Italy followed by cols Cenis and Isere, Cormet de Roseland and finished on the banks of Lac Annecy. Hauling the BSA loaded with camping gear was quite hard work.

A BSA twin ? Quite a haul over those altitude, I've not completed the circle via Col Isere...seen the road closed at Boneval, skied up the other way from Tignes, watched Steve's pictures of snow clearing in June but yet to get there in summer.

You can get a good blast of wind skiing up Col Cenis between the two country on some days, proper scalps you up by the old border post.

We travelled from Ste Foy to VC a couple of years ago, relaxed time and so had a little explore around Modane etc, like taking different routes to see what's about on a journey.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:

The track was removed and used in other projects. The tunnels on the Italian side are where the tracks ran.
ski holidays
Quote:

The track was removed and used in other projects.

I gather is was an unusual type of mountain railway, the Fell system, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Barraclough_Fell

@ski3, yes an A65. It carried me all over Europe, including my first trips to Spain, Yugoslavia and the Dolomites. The brakes were the biggest problem. They were terrible and I developed very strong forarms. It had a very heavy clutch as well.

Sorry about boring people. These things interest me.
ski holidays
Not quite as ancient but I too did an alpine tour on a motorbike many years ago. I borrowed a friend’s GS850 which, for the non-motorcycling or younger audience, was incredibly heavy, had really crap brakes and handled like a drunk elephant. I was racing motorbikes at the time but I’ve never been so scared on the track as I was doing the Alpe d’Huez climb following a friend on a Moto Marini 350 (which handled rather well by the standards of the time). I managed to ground out the engine cases on several hairpins which then nearly resulted in my leaving the road. Think I used up a fair few of my nine lives that trip.
snow report
@Blackblade, my wife's motor morini is still in the grage awaiting a rebuild. It was/is a really nice bike to ride. I'd imagine it would beat any old big jap bike of the same vintage on any bendy road.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For sure. This was the age, before the advent of the Fireblade, when Japanese manufacturers put increasingly powerful and heavy engines into frames with the rigidity of cream cheese. The handling was atrocious.
snow report
In the early 90s when doing my seasons, I spent a chunk of the first summer in La Plagne helping convert a restaurant into a chalet (Silver Skiers will know it - Plagne Villages!). We had an old crappy Bedford minibus with the flared wheel arches and small windscreen. An utter pile of sh!te.

Anyway, one Sunday we decided to drive over to Champagny. So we literally drove up the piste from Plagne Villages, probably over the Col de Forcle, and then down the blue run Geisha and onto the red run Les Bois. Just before entering the village of Champagny we had to go through a farm, which had a narrow road, gates at each end, stone wall on each side. When I saw narrow, I mean narrow. We moved the old Bedford towards the entrance and then stopped. It really wasnt clear if we would fit through! We were all thinking how do we explain this to head office in the UK! "Len, we've just drived up and over to Champagny but had to abandon the minibus. Sorry!"

Fortunately with great care, the old Bedford was squeezed through with literally an inch or two on each side to spare!

We do some daft things when young! Very Happy
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

A few years back had 2 blokes in a van incredulous that they couldn't get onto the road up to Mt Cenis to avoid the Frejus tunnel. He wouldn't have it that it was a piste. It was a great year for snow. Bonkers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy