Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian or French resorts without British tourists

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I'm new to the group, I could not find a similar thread on the forum. Excuse me for the title of the question. I live in the UK and love people, they're amazing but I want a skiing holiday without families, crowds and too many beginners. (Plus the drinking culture). I never skied in those countries, moved to the UK (therefore Europe) relatively recently. I will avoid British school holidays for the timing

Your advice appreciated

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lech am Arlberg (Austria)
Largest ski-area of Austria, upmarket, mostly Germans and Austrians (in non-holiday weeks), no Austrian style party après-ski
(and no, just to be sure, you can't go to nearby St.Anton, because that's full of English, and "drinking culture"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m guessing French (and Italian) have definitely less drinking culture than Austrian.
Consider Pyrenees also, though Andorra is quite popular with British.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serfaus, Wagrain, Flachau
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in SkiWelt during Dutch holidays, that was pretty mad. Avoiding holiday weeks of all the different countries is quite an art here.
What is your skiing background? Beginner, experienced? Blue runs, black runs?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fieberbrunn is very low on Brits and is superb.

https://www.kitzbueheler-alpen.com/en/pital/pillerseetal.html

Having a beer or two after skiing seems pretty standard in Austria though.

Actually, I would not go to Fieberbrunn!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Orange200 wrote:
I was in SkiWelt during Dutch holidays, that was pretty mad. Avoiding holiday weeks of all the different countries is quite an art here.

At least the Dutch all want to go places together.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Orange200 wrote:
What is your skiing background? Beginner, experienced? Blue runs, black runs?

Thanks so much for your reply, I will try to avoid Dutch holidays too then!
I can say I'm intermediate, certainly not advanced but not a beginner either
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JayDub wrote:
Fieberbrunn is very low on Brits and is superb.

https://www.kitzbueheler-alpen.com/en/pital/pillerseetal.html

Having a beer or two after skiing seems pretty standard in Austria though.

Actually, I would not go to Fieberbrunn!!

Thanks a lot, a beer or two is absolutely fine, as long as drunk crowds don’t ski snowHead

In my experience Germans and Austrians drink responsibly, and their alcohol tolerance also seems high haha
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Strange Question ..

I presume you are not British and just living in the UK?

I have never heard of foreigners living in for example Germany , Holland , France or any other European Country specifically requesting

"Without" tourists from the country they reside in ..

I can probably understand why though ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

@Langerzug, is not correct in her assesemnet of St Anton.. Those days are long gone..

The Drinking Culture (sometimes aggresive ) has shifted to my fellow countrymen (Dutch) and more so the woman (im very sorry to say ) and Belgiums are moving up the league (in incidents) and of course the young Swedes (but they go their beds ..been like this since the 70/80's)

For Sure English is spoken everywhere (in service industry its just customer service) because of the nature of the Internarional Clientale that St Anton attracts ..

St Anton is the United Nations of Skiing (people coming from the US, Australia, NZ Canada allover the world ) its just how it is..

English is just common communication language ..

However "UK Natonals " per se are very much a minority nowadays. Germans still dominate the Market here.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

To your original Question (for Austria) but no guarantee of Snow ..

https://metropole.at/9-places-to-go-skiing-near-vienna/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Montafon is the answer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Love people...

Just not families, crowds, beginners, party animals, Brits, or Dutch.

Makes sense.

Try Alaska or Iceland.

They have several good intermediate stations.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
Love people...

Or tourists. They really ruin a holiday too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Idontknow, one way to find where the British go is visit the website of one the big tour operators such as crystal and avoid those resorts.

My suggestion would be one the the medium sized resorts in France. Vars and les sept laux spring to mind, but avoid the half term holidays from the second week in February to the first in march inclusive.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unlike in France, in Austria Brits represent a very small percentage of skiers, miles behind the Germans, Austrians and Dutch in terms of numbers. The UK comes something like tenth in numbers. Good luck trying to avoid families, crowds and beginners in the Alps. Your best bet might be a small Italian or Austrian resort in mid or late January.
snow report
Don't discount Italy. Cortina is lovely and fits the bill.
ski holidays
German and Dutch tourists are just as bad as British ones, especially in crowds. Go to Areche-Beaufort in France. Most skiers will be local, and last time I was there ours were the only downhill skis outside the restaurant. All the rest were touring skis. Not many beginners to be seen. Very traditional spot. Avoid the French school holidays, as already noted but no need to worry about any of the others. A good place to try some ski-touring, but not without a guide.
ski holidays
German and Dutch tourists are just as bad as British ones, especially in crowds. Go to Areches-Beaufort in France. Most skiers will be local, and last time I was there ours were the only downhill skis outside the restaurant. All the rest were touring skis. Not many beginners to be seen. Very traditional spot. Avoid the French school holidays, as already noted but no need to worry about any of the others. A good place to try some ski-touring, but not without a guide.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 20-12-23 19:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@clarky999, +1 for Montafon.

Anywhere in Bregenzerwald from Mellau up toWarth.

@Idontknow, Wecome to Snowheads.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Love people...

Makes sense.

Try Alaska or Iceland.

They have several good intermediate stations.

Laughing
latest report
@Idontknow, La Grave - hopefully there should not be too many beginners or families there for you! Very Happy
ski holidays
Don’t discount Spain, Formigal is a decent sized intermediate area. The Spanish generally ski at weekends so it’s deserted Mon to Fri lunchtime. Baqueira is an upmarket resort, there are a couple of small Brit TOs that go there but they don’t take hordes. Generally the Spanish are not big drinkers, just quite exuberant/noisy.
latest report
@chocksaway, good call
snow report
Goto Crystal Ski & then avoid any resort that you can book via them.
Be aware, the Dutch love Austria & probably like table dancing & drinking more than your average brit.
Easily solved by avoiding dutch week in Austria (there are several of them!)

France - one of the smaller resorts along maurienne valley or La Clusez/Grand bonard or Vars/Risoul, isola, Crest Volland/Espace Diamant, etc. There are lots!
snow report
The Pyrenean ski resorts I've been to over the last few years aren't too busy outside of super-peak periods, and it is rare to come across an English voice. It's probably 70% French, 25% Spanish, 5% English/Other.

I'd recommend The Grand Tourmalet for ski area.

For a ski town (small ski area: Super-Bagneres) I'd recommend Luchon. I call it The Chamonix of the Pyrenees.
snow conditions
Quote:

La Grave - hopefully there should not be too many beginners or families there for you!

or any boring pistes, or more than one rickety lift. Quiet as you like.....
ski holidays
hobbiteater wrote:
Serfaus, Wagrain, Flachau

Flachau? Which is heaving and full of rolling drunk scandis and dutch!
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, indeed, they are, after all not British, per the title
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hobbiteater, but he did say "I want a skiing holiday without families, crowds and too many beginners. (Plus the drinking culture)."
ski holidays
Doesn't want any drunk tourists. Which does rule out a good many destinations. And some non drunken French places do have lots of families and he doesn't like them either. La grave probably perfect unless he,wants pistes. In which case Areches-Beaufort.
latest report
Maurienne.
Serre-Chevalier.
La Thuile.
Cervinia.
Gressoney.
Bormio.
Livigno.
Andermatt.
Anniviers.
Schladming.
Bacqueira.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Strange Question ..

I presume you are not British and just living in the UK?

I have never heard of foreigners living in for example Germany , Holland , France or any other European Country specifically requesting

"Without" tourists from the country they reside in ..

I can probably understand why though ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

@Langerzug, is not correct in her assesemnet of St Anton.. Those days are long gone..

The Drinking Culture (sometimes aggresive ) has shifted to my fellow countrymen (Dutch) and more so the woman (im very sorry to say ) and Belgiums are moving up the league (in incidents) and of course the young Swedes (but they go their beds ..been like this since the 70/80's)

For Sure English is spoken everywhere (in service industry its just customer service) because of the nature of the Internarional Clientale that St Anton attracts ..

St Anton is the United Nations of Skiing (people coming from the US, Australia, NZ Canada allover the world ) its just how it is..

English is just common communication language ..

However "UK Natonals " per se are very much a minority nowadays. Germans still dominate the Market here.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

To your original Question (for Austria) but no guarantee of Snow ..

https://metropole.at/9-places-to-go-skiing-near-vienna/

thanks! I like Brits actually, they're fun Smile It's just skiing is an injury prone sport, and on the same day I read 2 different cases of Brits hitting on the slopes, one was badly injured he had to be airlifted to the hospital. I'm kinda trying to avoid irrresponsible skiers I guess. And certainly drunk teenagers ( Brits tend to do drinking holidays as a group often). I noticed some Brits lose control a bit when they drink, and some start quite early in the day. I hope I don't come across as rude or racist, I am just worried Sad
latest report
With requirements like that, just avoid the apres "party" places.
Italy would work. Sure there will be some Brits and a few Dutch, but they'll be there for the skiing, not the drink, and won't be there en masse as if they owned the place like in other places. And since last season (or was it the season before last?), skiing under the influence is an actual offence now. And Carabinieri patrol the slopes. Although saying that, it doesn't stop the Carabinieri stopping off at a bar for a drink while still in uniform.
I would imagine anywhere in Scandinavia would be fine too.
ski holidays
Rarely any Brits skiing here in the US. Although we have Texan's which are roughly equivalent on the slopes. You could try Utah outside Park City. The Mormon's don't drink.
snow report
'without families, crowds and too many beginners' lol. Look for a new hobby.
snow conditions
I can remember about 30 years ago having a conversation in a bar in Munich, with a Munich resident who was worried about the way that German youths were developing in their attitudes towards alcohol.
His view was that the Germans tended to have a discussion in a bar and alcohol was a side issue in that people would consume it, but it wasn’t the main event. He felt that for the British youth alcohol was more of the main event and any discussion was a side event. “The British drink alcohol in order to become drunk” was his view. He was worried that German youths were heading down that path.
To get back to the original question,
Nassfeld
Maria Alm
Serfaus
Kronplatz
San Vigilio
Pyrenees
Although this is based on personal experiences and others may have experienced drunken shenanigans in those resorts from people of various nationalities
latest report
@Idontknow, Brits are a pretty small proportion of skiers in most places most of the time. Also any issues with out of control skiers due to alcohol consumption is a small problem again in most places most of the time (only spots I can think of would be the final home run slope in St Anton late afternoon, actually when the pistes are officially closed and the home runs in Ischgl in the afternoons). This is a non issue nothing to be concerned about. Unfortunately collisions between skiers is a real issue and is generally down to individuals behaving irresponsibly. It is not related to nationalities. I believe it is the biggest cause of ski injuries (yes often resulting in folk being airlifted off the slopes). It is also related to how busy the resort is, obviously less crowded pistes are safer. Trying to choose a quiet resort is not easy as anywhere decent will be popular. The suggestion above of the Montafon and other Vorarlberg resorts is a good one.

Not sure Brit drinking culture finds its way to the slopes, it is generally too expensive a pursuit to attract those who want to go binge drinking. From my observations the worst group for mixing drinking and skiing are Swedes for whom the cost of booze in Austria (or most other places) seems very low.
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
@clarky999, +1 for Montafon.

+2 !
We're driving there in January...
latest report
@Leonard Smalls, I've never been there, just heard about it from some German friends years ago.
I'm very fond of the Bregenzerwald, particularly Damuuls.
Went there several times, one year we did bump into another British couple staying in Bezau.
latest report
Gored wrote:
Goto Crystal Ski & then avoid any resort that you can book via them.
Be aware, the Dutch love Austria & probably like table dancing & drinking more than your average brit.
Easily solved by avoiding dutch week in Austria (there are several of them!)

France - one of the smaller resorts along maurienne valley or La Clusez/Grand bonard or Vars/Risoul, isola, Crest Volland/Espace Diamant, etc. There are lots!

Good advice Very Happy thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy