Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best online shops - sunglasses suitable for skiing??

Poster: A snowHead
Where does everyone go these days for skiing sunglasses? I'll wear goggles when the weather is bad, but prefer sunglasses on shiny days. Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've bought from this crowd in the past: https://www.shadestation.co.uk/designer-sunglasses/mens
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All sunglasses sold in the UK need to meet min standards so should be ok for skiing. But you may want to consider wrap around models to protect your eyes better from glare.

Online shops - privatesportshop or Sportspursuit ( just watch with SP that they actually have them in stock) usually have some on sale. I’ve also bought (not sunglasses specifically though) from Absolute Snow before and found them good.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I work with these guys https://aphexgear.com I have the IQ 2.0 and really like them for skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My best tip? Buy some with interchangeable/replaceable lenses. I often change lenses mid-ski once the sun's gone down, takes me just a few seconds. Replacement in many colours, polarised, mirrored, clear, easily available. Yes, sunglasses can and will get scratched, no, it doesn't mean you throw them away and buy some new ones.

Mine are the Oakley Split Jacket, been going strong for at least seven or eight years now, possibly more, I misremember exactly.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chaletbeauroc, Good shout. I have some 23 year old Oakley Half Jacket XLJ Golf Array - which came with 3 lenses (Fire Iridium/Slate Iridium/G40 - VLT 40/23/16) and I bought some Persimmon for flat light.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, In fact I just checked my email history and found an order for replacement lenses dating back to 2014, which is as far back as my email history goes, so gawd nose how long I've actually had them but more than ten years for sure, could be closer to 15 or 20.

Edit: managed to date them back to around 2010, first time I can find them on ski photos.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only replaced the frames 3 times and the lenses 5 times and they're as good as new. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, Oakleys are great. Replaceable lenses, they block the wind well, no frame blocking your view. Although O's darkest lens is not dark enough for me on brightest days; need Julbos then.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies. I've always bought sunglasses which I can use on the street as well as skiing. Interesting to consider the Oakleys which I guess would be good for that:

Look like a good way to switch lenses: https://www.shadestation.co.uk/designer-sunglasses/Oakley/Split-Jacket/OO9099-01
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There also seems to be a trend for glare protection like the old glacier glasses: https://aphexgear.com/collections/konka

Quickest way to look like a panda.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What do we think of polarised lenses for skiing?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TopGooner wrote:
What do we think of polarised lenses for skiing?
There's no downside IMO, but it's rare that you get the sort of glare they're good for blocking, IYSWIM. I always go for polarised, means I don't need to swap them for sailing (where they make a huge difference).

But I can't help feeling you're missing the point here - wrap-around, red mirrored lenses, Oakleys are cool. "Designer" brands are crass. Anything between is just a bit of coloured glass.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My personal favourites are Julbo Micropores - so good in fact that I bought a second pair as a backup.

They're now discontinued, but this website links to recommendations for some of the best glacier glasses around. (It's a US site but it's suggestions are excellent)

www.trailspace.com/gear/julbo/micropores/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I still have these Glacier sunglasses from Carrera in a hard case (great nick with removable black leather nose and side pieces and woven back strap), bought years ago (early 80s) in Flaine: https://www.vintagesunglassesshop.com/item_vs778.html

They now appear to be selling for over $400 Shocked
latest report
People have suggested very nice gear;

Looking at the opposite end; Tinted 'sports style' safety glasses from a hardware store (i.e. screwfix/toolstation);

Though I have only ever used them for cycling, they are an awful lot cheaper than almost anything sold and at least as good as any mid range cycling sunglasses...
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, Good shout. I have some 23 year old Oakley Half Jacket XLJ Golf Array - which came with 3 lenses (Fire Iridium/Slate Iridium/G40 - VLT 40/23/16) and I bought some Persimmon for flat light.

WTF is the obsession with ancient gear on this forum?
snow conditions
Or...go at a bricks and mortar shop, try some on, see you they feel with and without helmet and support a local business.
Buying online sucks...IMHO
snow conditions
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
[

It's a counter to the gear-obsessed, what's the best xxx this year, must-have gadget culture that so often pervades the webways.
snow conditions
@TopGooner, try eBay for Persol sunglasses. I much prefer glasses as opposed to goggles and have a great pair of polarised/photochomaic Persol glasses that work really well. Can be used with helmet or hat, looks much cooler Eh oh!
latest report
Why sunglasses? Just buy another pair of goggles (or ones with changeable lenses). There’s a reason everyone wears them and it’s not because they look fashionable or cool.
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

It's a counter to the gear-obsessed, what's the best xxx this year, must-have gadget culture that so often pervades the webways.

In my world - 23 years old is just "Broken in"; 40 years is "Getting on a bit"; 50+ years is ancient. Skullie
snow conditions
<shrug> some people don't like goggles. Years ago I was one of them. What changed for me was the shift in goggles from very restrictive peripheral vision to something larger and significantly more open.

I have some "sea specs" for surfing, but otherwise I use off-main-brand decent sunglasses which from experience are usually as well made as the branded stuff except without the bling. Classic glacier glasses are my summer choice, because I don't want sun stroke or retinal damage. I did have that damage from a lot of surfing without protection: lesson learned. If you buy fashion stuff (as opposed to "classic") then it's going to look old fast.
ski holidays
@TopGooner, Sungod, buy online
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:

Just make sure you are comfortable with their returns policy (i.e. no returns exchanges in reality) as their products are “custom”.

I’d post the wording but cannot seem to copy and past it, but its clear in their site.
snow report
@ster, I've had 3 pairs (so far I go through them pretty rapid) and they have been excellent, scratched a new pair and they sent me new lenses at a sensible price (bashed my head on a avalanche barrier and they were on top of my head, gashed the lenses and my head too rolling eyes ). I'd not be returning them so not an issue, but yes like all things online its a faff if you need to return (i'd never buy a Canyon or YT mountainbike online for that very reason, warranty claims a proper messabout).
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:

I actually prefer my Decathlon Cat 4 glasses for skiiing/touring on really sunny days. Very reasonable at £30 and have put up with the kids stealing and abusing them so far

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-hiking-sunglasses-mh570-category-4-hd/_/R-p-329876?mc=8615924&c=bordeaux
ski holidays
I used to have Oakley's but replacement lenses are expensive and I had a tendency to break/scratch them! I've certainly used Shadestation in the past.

More recently I've gone budget with these.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
I used to have Oakley's but replacement lenses are expensive and I had a tendency to break/scratch them!

There are many aftermarket providers, with lenses that seem to me to be as good as the originals. Typically around 40 euros for two paris.
latest report
Rishie wrote:
Why sunglasses? Just buy another pair of goggles (or ones with changeable lenses). There’s a reason everyone wears them and it’s not because they look fashionable or cool.

Why goggles? I only ever wear them in really bad conditions. It's not about looking cool - well, not _only_ about looking cool - but goggles disconnect you a bit more from what's around you. and no matter how good they are for peripheral vision they're never going to be as good as sunglasses. I have goggles with magnetic, interchangeable lenses, but I only use on really poor weather days, including when it's really cold. Even then I'd always have my sunnies in my pocket, for example to wear when you're sitting out at lunch. Nothing's more daft than sitting eating with your goggles on just because you happen to be facing the sun.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Layne wrote:
I used to have Oakley's but replacement lenses are expensive and I had a tendency to break/scratch them!

There are many aftermarket providers, with lenses that seem to me to be as good as the originals. Typically around 40 euros for two paris.

Sure but then the question is why Oakley in the first place?
snow report
@Layne, because they’re cool!?!
ski holidays
Rishie wrote:

Because I have a helmet with built in visor, I also have goggles, and I like to wear sunglasses on sunny days, especially sat on a deckchair with a beer in hand.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:

I actually have some. They're not bad. Bit scratched, and I like to buy something new rather than just replace what I've already had.
snow conditions
Bought these and love them. Polarized. Great price for 2 pair, with different lenses. Hold to my head well, never fall off. And the price is right!

USA: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NN8271T?th=1&tag=amz07b-21
UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OKH-Polarized-Protection-Sunglasses-Mountain/dp/B0C8N5CH7Z/?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
ster wrote:
@Layne, because they’re cool!?!

Laughing - well that was certainly one of the reasons I bought them.
latest report
Layne wrote:

Sure but then the question is why Oakley in the first place?

If you need to ask you won't understand the answer.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, how very condescending of you.

The point was if Oakley lenses are so great why would you promote "aftermarket providers, with lenses that seem to me to be as good as the originals"

Why not just buy those in the first place. It was you that suggested it, not me.
snow report
TopGooner wrote:
Where does everyone go these days for skiing sunglasses? I'll wear goggles when the weather is bad, but prefer sunglasses on shiny days. Cool

Ebay.

I'm also a devout sunglass sporter on the slopes. Only in the snowiest of conditions will I stick on the goggles. If the weather is good, the slopes good and quiet, sunglasses and no helmet is brilliant.

I have three workhorses in the main stable though some others make cameo appearances at the bar depending on conditions. The UVEX sportstyle I have 2 pairs (with leather bits at the temples) I got very cheap from Ebay before the vintage thing became all the rage. They were made in West Germany and have some astronaut helmet grade gold film. Go well in excellent sunshine and with the early 90s one-piece in metalic green.

The Julbos Renegades I bought for low vis days due to their huge light transmission range, they are photochromatic.

And the Salice Italian flag wayfarers I bought to pose in my ridiculous Italian ski clobber because I am a walloper.

snow report
Those UVEX are absolute class!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy