Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Novice vs intermediate ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What is the difference between renting novice vs intermediate skis? Apart from price?! My family would all be classed as intermediate but …… I am a cautious/nervous skier going back after a big accident; husband (56) is mainly interested in ease and practising technique, 2 teenage boys (16/17) who are always going way too fast so really we’d be happy to slow them down….. I don’t mind paying the difference (well I do but….) if intermediates make a big difference but otherwise wondering whether it’s worth it? Guess we’re more interested in skis that minimise effort rather than help you ski quicker. Any thoughts gratefully received thank you Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd just rent the beginner stuff (don't tell the boys). Most shops would be happy to take your money if you don't like it and chose to upgrade.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I like your thinking. I’m half hoping someone will say that intermediate skis will transform me into an effortless, graceful skier but currently not sure it’s worth the extra €80. In fact now Ive written it down, Im going to take some convincing Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If anything, until you're a very experienced intermediate / advanced you might find them more difficult to ski and less fun, depending on what they give you. Maybe someone will come along and disagree Laughing

I'm a life-long intermediate (nearly 40 years of skiing), whenever I rent a piste ski I just go for the beginner men's model (I'm a largish lady). Unless they look particularly banged up in which case I might ask to pay more for a newer pair.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forgot to mention, that the boys might want to upgrade to something like a twin tip if they're likely to spend a lot of time in the terrain park. But they shouldn't be much more expensive than a beginner ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And if the boys really ARE going way too fast (not just much faster than you'd be comfortable with, which is par for the course) maybe you should try to slow them down. If they're out of control, they get grounded. Maybe get them a lesson with a fun, young, instructor, who will sort them out. Or interest them in learning to snowboard. That'll slow them down for a bit. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Goslowski, personally I would just tell the shop the profile of each skier and go on their recommendation rather than thinking purely in terms of cost.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m really interested in this post and in the exact position as you. We ski once a year, haven’t been for 3 years - I seem to be loosing more confidence every year and like going slowly. I would like to know how a beginner ski would feel like to a low level intermediate skier and does it affect how you ski ?? Eh oh!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you can (or arguably want to learn how to) carve turns, then you need a stiffer ski, so go for the intermediates. If you are just doing flat parallel turns stick to the beginner ones, they will be lighter to carry for starters.. if you find the tips are flapping around hopelessly when you / the boys and going full chat then go back and ask for something stiffer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
an intermediate ski may well be better for a cautious/nervous skier because when you ask it to do something it will do it - it will be more predictable.

see if the hire shop will let you swap, sometimes that only available on higher spec skis or if you pay extra though
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
car analogy - need to assume that driving a car is something you do to experience driving, not as a mode of transport

beginner - a nice big auto-SUV may feel safe and secure and easy to drive
intermediate - once you get better at driving as you push the suv through the corners it rolls and feels horrible, the auto box doesnt change gear when you want. You dont feel in control. So an intermediate is a sports cars or tuned version with a nice crisp manual gear box and lower, stiffer suspension, it feels much better to you as you drive it (remember in this analogy driving is the aim not transport)
advance - a track single seater - all about the performance
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
These have been really useful (though added more conundrums) - was convinced by Team Always Novice and then read the post about carving…… hmmmmm Got to make decision soon as its only 2 weeks away! Thank you all
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy