Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livigno vs La Thuile family ski trip

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice welcome,
we are going skiing for a week in in feb 24, flying to Milan and driving to the resort, and are currently trying to decide between La Thuile and livigno,
we are a family of 6, with 2 older teens and 2 younger teens, and they are all skiing for the 2nd time, confident husband and me not so much at all. Currently have 2, 1 bed apartments in Parabel apartments in La Thuile and trying to decide whether to stick with that or try Livigno.
From reading reviews etc I’m a bit concerned that it might be too dark or windy in La Thuile given the orientation with too many difficult runs given that it’s the 2nd time for 5 of us.
As regards accommodation we are happy with hotel or apartment but preferably one with good access to lift and restaurants for breakfast and dinner. We certainly don’t need crazy apres ski but would like it a little lively to get a drink and dinner and have somewhere for our oldest to go if he wanted to. If anyone has been to either or both I’d love your take on it, thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to La Thuile but not Livigno.
The skiing here should suit pretty much most standards, there is plenty of gentle skiing though some of the runs to the resort are more challenging it's easy to download.
I wouldn't worry about the resort being dark the slopes are high and sunny. its only really the nursery slopes at the bottom and runs home that are shady and even these will not be dark for most of the day by the end of Feb.
Wind is an occassional problem sitting on the pass though I believe Livigno is exposed to.
There are some very good places to eat in La Thuile that are reasonably priced, it is not noticeably lively for nighlife but I'm not really the right person to ask about that.
Personally I think it's a good area to ski and very reasonably priced but I can't compare it to Livigno to which I've never been.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much for the quick response, info much appreciated
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've only been to La Thuile the once, but from memory all the blue runs and most of the reds won't be in the shade - they are on a high plateau so there's a good chance of decent snow. The Planibel couldn't be much handier for lifts and ski hire, I don't know what it's like inside though.

We stayed in the main village (Le Miramonti) and there are only a couple of bars there - I think there are a couple in the Planibel itself as well, bit I think you'll find it a pretty quiet place at night. You will be spoilt for choice for restaurants though - the ones we tried were all very good.

I've always fancied Livigno but haven't made it out there yet. We normally ski in Austria, but I'd definitely like to go back to La Thuile at some point.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have skied both with teens. Bear in mind la Thuile is close to the French border and it will be during French school holidays. In all honesty I think I would choose Livigno. Very snow sure, wide selection of pistes, great prices on food and duty free....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@fvlover,
I've not been myself in Feb but friends who I recommended it to with kids quite a few years ago went to it and returned because it was nice and quiet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Again thank you all re advice and information, much appreciated
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, although given my decision making I probably shouldn’t expand the choice, Google maps tells me it’s a 3 hr drive to either destination, we could go anywhere else recommended as along as it wasn’t farther and there was still available accommodation. but if La Thuile and /or livigno tick the box I guess we should just do that. Thank you
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also regarding Livigno. Again from reviews I see mention of the bus system quite a lot, is this a bit of a pain when you want to go to the other slopes or no bother, I’m thinking it might be when coordinating the 6 of us. Apologies if the questions are off the mark, hard to get an idea when you have been to either.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BlueRex, we have just returned from La Thuile with younger teens and preteens and stayed in Plannibel apartments , was all new and renovated and super convenient. Kids had a great time but they are all confident skiers , although l think it would really suit any ability. We did find more sun on the French side and did ski there most days as kids were addicted to the “fun run” . Few years ago we also went to Pila, another resort in Aosta Valley - l suggest you check it out, it is more compact and great for beginners
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
been in Livigno but not La Thuile
If all the slopes are open, it is not a problem to go with the bus from one side to the other

I like livigno. Is a pain in the Axxx to go there, but the slopes are wide, is high enough, and eating drinking is relativ cheap
Espresso costs 1 Euro i think...at least 1,5 years ago

The village is something like tax free and almost everything is cheap. But for accommodation i dont know.
We had paid in April (free pass Offer) ca 1.800 Euro for a Week + Ski Pass + HP for 2 Adults and 2 Kids

If you go do not forget to try the Pizzoccheri
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been to both. Both are good ski areas, just be aware that Livigno is split into 2 separate areas. La Thuile including La Rosiere is considerably larger.

Be aware of travel time. Livigno is difficult to get to via the Ofen tunnel. Not only quite a long trip over regional roads, but VERY long waiting times (multiple hours) for the tunnel which is alternating one-way.

La Thuile can be windy when the weather is bad, then they often close the connection to France. But the remaining area on Italian side is still very good. The slopes from the plateau towards the passroad are phantastic.

I would go to La Thuile.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been to La Thuile and my daughter went to Livigno with her BF who had previously done a weekend somewhere and a few hours in the Hemel fridge. There is lots of beginner suitable skiing in Liv with decent red runs to progress onto. She said the bus system was reliable and fairly straight forward, it did a loop around so in morning they had a very short run to the uplifts and in the evening a slightly longer ride home. Obviously not quite as good as "being a short walk to a main gondola" set up.

There is a risk with La Thuile that if less confident you get stuck for the week in the 3 or4 blue runs at the top of the Gondola. There is a big area to explore, but there is a one set route to get to France and back, ditto Fourclaz area, involving some red runs (and a very long T bar back from France side). We had a confident week 2 skier with us (friend of my other daughter) and she managed it all. If the suns out, it is sunny there!

Would echo comment re Pila - good for beginner progression as you can scoot around whole resort on blues and there are easy reds to progress to. It is quite small for a whole week though, although maybe less of an issue for week 2 skiers. We stayed in apartment in Aosta town for a week and used the hire car to visit several resorts - Pila (which there is a gondola up from Aosta to), La Thuile, Courmayeur, Monterosa.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BlueRex wrote:
Also, although given my decision making I probably shouldn’t expand the choice, Google maps tells me it’s a 3 hr drive to either destination, we could go anywhere else recommended as along as it wasn’t farther and there was still available accommodation. but if La Thuile and /or livigno tick the box I guess we should just do that. Thank you

Google is currently saying about 2hours 25 mins from Malpensa airport to La Thuile which seems about right. I most recently went March last year and think this was the journey time. It's Motorway most of the way with tolls with a climb up the last few miles. Quite an easy drive.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Google maps does not take into consideration the waiting time for the Munt La Schera tunnel.
Outside high season and on weekdays no problem. But on Saturdays in February till mid April, often 2-3 hours.
snow report
@BlueRex, I've been to both resorts. I think they'd both suit your requirements well, but I think Livigno would be marginally the better choice as it has more gentle slopes.

@Onnem, from Milan you wouldn't need to use the tunnel unless there's a snowstorm - the tunnel's on the approach from the Swiss side, not the Italian one. Straight up the Valtellina and over the Foscagno pass.
snow conditions
For the group described, going over to La Ros would probably not happen, which limits the attraction. The long drag is a problem - we did several holidays in La Ros with beginnerish skiers and never made it over to Italy. One time the drag lifted a very competent but tiny 10 year old clean off her feet. The first time she managed to land and carry on (she was a gymnast!) but the second time, after many airborne yards, she fell off and the only option was for everyone to ski back to La Ros. None of us minded, as it was horribly windy up there. We loved La Rosiere but were there in mid January. I'd not go to any French resort at half term.

Pila would be fine, but with that party composition I'd stay up in Pila rather than in Aosta. And, @BlueRex, why not book yourself into ski school too?

I have no idea about Livigno but getting there sounds like a pain.
ski holidays
@BlueRex, Ive been to Livigno many times, but never been to La Thuile, though I would like to visit. As@denfinella, says, no need for a tunnel when approaching from Milan. Re the buses, they're regular and efficient and if you get accommodation in the right place you don't need them very often. There are the regular town buses that stop everywhere, but they also recently introduced two 'Ski Link' buses at both ends of the valley that just go back and forward continuously between the Carosello and Mottolino ski areas. It's less than a 5 minute trip, just like taking a ski lift. You can also use google maps now to tell you which of the town buses to get, which is a big improvement over the old timetable.

There are lift access points all along the Carosello side of the valley and an intermediate skier can get between any of these points without needing a bus. I would recommend staying close to a lift on the Carosello side. You can ski close to your door on most accommodation on this side of the valley. The area around the Carosello 3000 gondola is called San Rocco and is my personal favourite area. It's a little quieter than the main centre, but there are a couple of classic banging apres bars at the bottom of the gondola and a few really nice bars/restaurants/hotels. It's also close to the ski link bus and well placed on the general bus route. Equally, the main pedestrianised centre is lively and well connected. The area by the Cassana gondola is pleasant too, but a little quieter. I would avoid Trepalle as it's very small and quiet and on the other side of the pass.

There's tonnes of easy skiing and lots to keep older teenagers entertained. I've also only ever seen the top half of the Carosello Gondola closed due to wind once or twice in the 15+ years I've been visiting.
ski holidays
Thanks so much to everyone who has so generously taken the time to msg, great advice. I’ll have to reread a time or two and try make a call on it. Although looks like both are good enough options. This discussion forum has been a fabulous find with invaluable information on it for anyone going skiing without too much experience
snow conditions
@BlueRex, I’ve skied a fair bit in La Thuile, and really like it, with family we stayed in Courmayuer and drove up each day, 15-20 drive max, weve also skied in Courmayuer a lot which is a lovely little resort with wonderful views of Monte Bianco, and also did a day each visit to Pila, which is 30 mins on the autostrada once in the valley. There’s a variety of lift pass options which give days out at other Aosta resorts, and also a trip up Monte Bianco on the skyway which in good weather is simply stunning and worth doing if your there, take an early finish and get to the skyway for 2-30 3pm will give you plenty of time. If your SC they’re a good Familia supermarket in Morgex where you can stock up cheaper than in La Thuile.
Would I go to La Thuile again, absolutely, I may get a 2nd trip away there this season.
I’ve also wanted to try Livigno but the transfer times has put me off, 4-5 drive after an early start and flight just doesn’t appeal, Malpensa to Courmayuer is just on 2 hours and less than €30 toll.
Looking forward to seeing where you go.
ski holidays
Thank you for all that info and to be honest I am also looking forward to seeing where I go Eh oh! as with all the great reviews and useful advice it’s a tough one but a good one eitherway by the sound of it…
ski holidays
Hi,

Been to both a few times and would probably go for La Thuile, easier to get to than Livigno, option to ski to La Rosiere in France and close to Courmayer if you fancy a day somewhere else.

Johnboy
snow conditions
I've skied La Thuile/La Rosiere a few times with some nice easy blues in the central bowl above Les Suches. You will need to download as the resort runs are steep. Some nice reds over the back to the St Bernard Pass and the runs that go out wide away from the lifts 6 & 7 are interesting. La Rosiere opens up more terrain, but they are all runs down the same mountainside.

Always wanted to to go to Livigno, but the long transfer over the pass has put me off.
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@BlueRex, I've been to both resorts. I think they'd both suit your requirements well, but I think Livigno would be marginally the better choice as it has more gentle slopes.

Having skied both areas on several occasions, I’d also suggest Livigno for the same reason. I also think the opportunity to progress to more challenging but not overly difficult slopes is better.

The skiing areas are located on opposite sides of the town but the bus links between both are very easy, should you wish to explore further afield.

The town is a typical alpine setting, quite pretty with some livelier Apres options but nothing wild. Again, I think Livigno has more to offer in this respect than La Thuile.

On a personal note, I had one of the best lesson experiences in Livigno from an instructor who actually listened to what I wanted/needed and developed a two hour lesson around that.
ski holidays
Thanks guys again really appreciate your taking time to reply, I will de come back and review whichever we go go
latest report
La Thuile ski pass includes 2 days skiing elsewhere (eg Cormayeur) so you're really getting 3 resorts.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy