Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying warm; layering, boots, gloves?

Poster: A snowHead
The last couple of years, I’ve had increasing problems with staying warm.
If I get too cold, it’s often accompanied with a blood sugar crash, which is problematic Sad

I’ve found I’m increasingly cold at home; out walking etc, even at work (which isn’t that cold) when working nights, so I’m increasingly worried about how to cope skiing this season.

I’m I have multiple Marino layers, fleece, wool mix mid layers, a couple of down jackets, glove liners, merino socks which were fitted with my boots. I frequently end up wearing all of these layers and still get cold.

Any recommendations please?

My feet get cold first. My boots were fitted with my socks and have a merino liner too. Fitted 4-5 years ago, but have been quite well used and definitely beckoning packed out. Could it be as simple as replacing my boots?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
to warm & you sweat
cold weather makes sweat cold
you get chilly.
If Merino is not working, then try other fibres like bamboo.
It may not be the merino, it may be breathability in other layers. You need a mix of wicking, warmth & breathability - you need to get rid of the elements you create inside your layers as much as you try to keep the elements outside from getting in!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boots: Neoprene overboots (Alpenheat) with a heat pack between neoprene and shell over the toes. Heat Company make the heat packs in XL size (hand warmers).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gored wrote:
to warm & you sweat
you get chilly.
It may not be the merino, it may be breathability in other layers. You need a mix of wicking, warmth & breathability - you need to get rid of the elements you create inside your layers as much as you try to keep the elements outside from getting in!

Sorry if I’m being thick, but are you saying I should wear less layer? I often start with less then add them.

At work, I’m definitely not sweating, but still get cold. My hands and feet are freezing now, and I’m indoors at 20 deg.

Not skiing, however I have tried many different fabrics at home (bamboo, wool, tensely, cotton, poly), and struggle to give one that really works. I do like bamboo for warmth, but it takes so long to dry that I’ve wondered how practical it is to take slings.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
  • Cold feet: wiggle your toes. Or try boot heaters?
  • Electric heaters for gloves and jackets work well, albeit at a cost.
  • If you're layered with down, then ... walk uphill a bit to generate some heat inside of it? Or use something electric under it.
  • If it's colder than minus 20 or so then most people won't be happy outside for long. Take regular heated stops.
  • Wear something warm on your head.
  • Stick to covered/ heated lifts; it's colder on a lift up than when skiing down.

I'm not sure how cold and blood sugar relate exactly. Take clinical advice?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tazz2bme wrote:

Sorry if I’m being thick, but are you saying I should wear less layer? I often start with less then add them.

The key to layering is that it's mainly the space between the layers that give the insulation, so if you're wearing so many that they're being compressed by each other then you're losing most of the value. Typically four or five layers would be absolutely the max, assuming a loose-fitting outer shell, perhaps one fewer if you've got a thick padded jacket. Adding more than that, if they start to feel tight, will actually give less insulation as well as potentially restricting circulation and trapping moisture close to your skin.

Have you looked at heated boots and gloves? These are normally the weapon of choice for people with poor circulation. (Never needed them myself, so no comment).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tazz2bme, sounds like Raynaud's. Passive heating, in our experience is inadequate. Lenz heated socks are very good. There are heaps of heated glove liners on Amazon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tazz2bme wrote:
My hands and feet are freezing now, and I’m indoors at 20 deg.

This seems concerning.

I run fairly cold and suffer sometimes with cold hands and feet but not in this scenario.

I would go the doctors.

What age/sex are you?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best way for me to have my hands and feet warm when skiing is to make sure everything is dry to start with (take liners and footbeds out overnight, have gloves somewhere warmish) and that they are warm before putting on. And then not standing/sitting around for long periods during the day. Not easy and often my feet get a bit cold though not enough to affect my skiing. I've always had this since being a child.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

This seems concerning.

Hence Raynaud's. Mrs U gets freezing fingers washing lettuce in the summer heat and with warm water.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 16-01-24 13:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
Tazz2bme wrote:

This seems concerning.

Not necessarily. 20 deg isn't particularly warm, especially if you are female. My hands and feet would be cold at that temperature too, so I prefer a temperature closer to 23 deg if sitting at a desk, though lower if I was doing a more active job. It also doesn't mean the problem will necessarily transfer to skiing, though I would make sure I had plenty of extra layers on hand just in case – down jacket or vest, mittens, glove liners etc.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tazz2bme, what UANN says. I suffer a bit from cold extremities - my fingers often go white even when it's not really cold. Heated gloves and socks should make a big difference and just accept that stopping frequently to sit indoors with a hot chocolate or a coffee is part of your skiing day. I don't know how the blood sugar crashes are, or are not related, but there are completely separate things you need to do to avoid that problem. Eat low GI foods at breakfast and breaks (i.e not a chocolate bar, still less glucose tablets, unless you have dangerously low blood sugar, when they are just a short-term fix). If your insulin metabolism isn't great then a big sugar hit (like a choc bar) will be followed by a rapid spike in blood sugar, followed by another drop, and this kind of "yo yo" is bad news (like yo yo weight loss). In the normal course of events your blood sugar should sit within the "normal" range even if it's a long time since your last meal and you feel very hungry. Actually, if your glucose tolerance is poor a hot chocolate might not be the best thing for you - a coffee or tea along with a low GI snack, such as a non-sugary squirrel poo-poo biscuit, would be better.

How do you know you are having a blood sugar crash? I seem to remember you are a vet, so don't want to be teaching granny to suck eggs, but are you measuring blood sugar? Shouldn't really be necessary in the normal course of events.

I lived for 40 years with a insulin dependent diabetic husband so blood sugars played a big part in our lives, especially skiing. I used sometimes to do blood sugar tests with his finger pricking devices and even when I felt really knackered and faint for lack of nourishment my blood sugars never dropped below 4 on his machine (where normal range was 4 - Cool.

Living with a diabetic also taught me that "low blood sugar" can be a great excuse for eating something naughty!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does Raynaud's progress? The OP said "I’ve found I’m increasingly cold at home".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, it can, yes. Mrs U started out (15 years ago?) just by buying "better" gloves. She's now routinely added down mid layers to the clothing ensemble.

Heated gilets exist but we're not at that stage yet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies.

Layne wrote:
Tazz2bme wrote:

This seems concerning.

I run fairly cold and suffer sometimes with cold hands and feet but not in this scenario.

I would go the doctors.

What age/sex are you?

I’m 46 and female.
At work I can only wear scrubs, so often get cold if I’m no moving enough. Unfortunately I can’t choose when to move around more with my job.
snow report
@pam w, I had similar issues with blood sugar and cold years ago. At the time I was doing lots of TB testing so often standing around in the snow. I did ask a doctor at the time who told me to put on some weight, eat frequent snacks and wear more clothes. I often went out with a pack of biscuits and pork’s pies if I was expecting a long day in the winter. I had done battery powered socks which helped.

I’m not sure if I get cold or wobbly first which is why I mentioned it.
ski holidays
Tazz2bme wrote:

I’m 46 and female.

My missus is early 50's and she often complains about being cold, even when it's 20 in the house. And she wears two fleeces when skiing when I have one. But I wouldn't say it sounds as extreme as your situation and she is certainly no worse than me hands and feet wise when skiing.

If your ski boot liners are 5 years old and well used then yes they may be coming to the end of their life. Whether that is a major contribution to your coldness I am not quite sure.
latest report
Layne wrote:
My missus is early 50's and she often complains about being cold, even when it's 20 in the house.

20 deg is not similar to the surface of the sun, it's actually quite cold! Turn the thermostat up, and she might stop complaining about the temperature.
snow conditions
@Tazz2bme, I didn't want to ask your gender (and blokes do get Raynaud's too, just not so frequently) but a 46 y.o. F with cold hands and feet?

Do they go white? and then painfully pink when warming back up again? That's fairly definitive.
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
Layne wrote:
My missus is early 50's and she often complains about being cold, even when it's 20 in the house.

20 deg is not similar to the surface of the sun, it's actually quite cold! Turn the thermostat up, and she might stop complaining about the temperature.

Agreed. I can’t change the thermostat at work.
I can cope at work. I’d imagine today my hands and feet are cold as I ran before my shift and gave really warmed up.
I’m not worried at home/ work as fixable and not that bad, but I want to be fu criminal when skiing.
snow conditions
I'm not a particularly warm bod but never normally have my heating above 20. And I think my Hive thermostat is pretty accurate. If still feeling cold at 20 (and it happens!) I put more clothes on and get up and jump around a bit, do a few exercises.

@Tazz2bme, if your blood sugar drops far enough to make you feel "wobbly" that does sound dodgy. Do you have low blood pressure? I do (partly because of medication) and that can make me feel a bit wobbly, especially if I get up to quickly from sitting, or from lying on the floor. I also kid myself that it contributes to my deteriorating balance but I suspect that's due more to not doing the right exercises!

If you feel your blood sugar level sometimes gets problematically low it's possible that it sometimes gets problematically high, too.....
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@Tazz2bme,

How do you know you are having a blood sugar crash? I seem to remember you are a vet, so don't want to be teaching granny to suck eggs, but are you measuring blood sugar? Shouldn't really be necessary in the normal course of events.

WTF is a squirrel poo-poo biscuit?

I haven’t checked this time as similar signs to previously (wobbly, dizzy, poor vision if I let it carry on), and us resolved with food.
In the past, glucose was checked as advised by dr, when I was feeling like this, it was around 2. I don’t see any value I checking again, as had similar episodes when very cold or long gaps between meals I the past, and know how to resolve it, ie eat, however these episodes are avoided if I stay warm
ski holidays
muesli bars. Named by someone I used to sail with.

A blood sugar level of 2 is definitely going to feel bad. Dangerously bad if you are driving, or skiing, or doing surgery! And will be resolved by food, for sure. But it shouldn't really happen. Blood sugars as low as that are unusual in people without diabetes. Much below 2 and you are approaching hypoglycaemic coma or at least going really doolally and talking nonsense (people might think you are drunk).
latest report
Tazz2bme wrote:
Gored wrote:
to warm & you sweat
you get chilly.

At work, I’m definitely not sweating, but still get cold. My hands and feet are freezing now, and I’m indoors at 20 deg.

Not skiing, however I have tried many different fabrics at home (bamboo, wool, tensely, cotton, poly), and struggle to give one that really works. I do like bamboo for warmth, but it takes so long to dry that I’ve wondered how practical it is to take slings.

no, but you may just need a different combination.
If your base layer is wicking, then is mid-layer as well as keeping you warm, is it able to breathe to allow the wicked sweat to evaporate off your body... or are the other layers acting as a bin bag & locking in the moisture?
If your extremities are getting cold, then it does sound like Raynaud's. You should notice that affected areas pale in comparison to where you are not cold. Eg fingers compared to palm.

There are USB chargebale boot liners, gloves, etc. as it is quite a common condition.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 16-01-24 14:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
pam w wrote:
muesli bars. Named by someone I used to sail with.

A blood sugar level of 2 is definitely going to feel bad. Dangerously bad if you are driving, or skiing, or doing surgery! And will be resolved by food, for sure. But it shouldn't really happen. Blood sugars as low as that are unusual in people without diabetes. Much below 2 and you are approaching hypoglycaemic coma or at least going really doolally and talking nonsense (people might think you are drunk).

Dr really wasn’t worried a few years ago, as in happened when I was working hard, very cold and skipping/late for meals. He told me to gain weight and snack frequently, and just put it down to the fact that I’m quite small.

I no longer practice large animal medicine, so this is really not an issue now, but found this skiing last year. I’m probably slightly heavier so maybe it won’t be an issue.
snow conditions
Gored wrote:

If your extremities are getting cold, then it does sound like Raynaud's. You should notice that affected areas pale in comparison to where you are not cold. Eg fingers compared to palm.

There are USB chargebale boot liners, gloves, etc. as it is quite a common condition.

Thanks everyone who suggested this.
It does sound similar .
ski holidays
Being cold can cause blood sugar to drop because the body uses up more fuel to try and get warm. My colleague has type 1 diabetes, and if he spends 2 hours out in the cold teaching, no-one is surprised if he goes hypo.
snow report
@Tazz2bme, I used to not really feel the cold, but recently (and combined with bisoprolol) I feel it a lot more!

For skiing I'm wearing more layers then previously + heated socks + heated gloves which seem to work! An example pre Xmas was out with a friend, he had one base layer on, thin gloves and a shell jacket and was warm. I had 3 layers, winter gloves and was warm! Layers were merino long sleeve, thicker long sleeve and mid weight fleece over a shell jacket.

Around home these are brilliant for the price and I will also take them skiing, wear them under gloves at home https://www.outdooraction.co.uk//extremities-power-liner-wrist-gaiter-p3248/s10925

at home I've found an extra layer above what I used to wear helps, ie working at home with heating off I'm wearing 3 layers now vs the 2 I used to.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy