Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weirdest packed items

Poster: A snowHead
I have this evening packed a Christmas tree in a ski bag, along with a fully cooked Christmas dinner in a cool bag with ice packs for our flight tomorrow. There’s a number of other strange items, but I won’t go into the details of how weird we are.

And yet with all this luggage weirdness, in March we are travelling to the Caribbean for 17days with only hand luggage and a small child.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I imagine you'll make the baggage scanner's day!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still weighing up whether we can get that steak fondue set in…
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haggis (from Harrods) for a Burns Night in Courmayeur (Jan 1982).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I took a Land Rover starter motor LHR-ULN once, but not skiing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always pack Bovril cubes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Took a heavy, home made, passarelle ( boarding thing for boat) on easyJet to Nice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Took a heavy, home made, passarelle
East coast boating we call them planks . Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
welshflyer wrote:

Could job you weren't travelling to the USA as illegal to import Haggis. Something to do with the lung content, I believe.

Back in the early nineties I packed a balaclava to Corfu. Needed it for my miners impression.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can buy baklava in Corfu.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Bear of the Big Blue House" toy, which danced and sang. The security officers at Chambery were so intrigued that they played with it for so long that the whole queue was held up, as they called their colleagues over to check it out. The kids were delighted, but we were a tad embarrassed at the delay we had caused.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nothing particularly weird but we always pack camping egg cups. Never any egg cups in the apartments we have rented.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@halfhand, not weird. I always take egg cups to the EoSB.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have egg cups in my apartment Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One of my mates regularly travels to the western isles for work. He quite often bring back live lobster in his hand luggage, and sometimes in the hold Laughing

He’ll get them from the fisherman on the morning he leaves, pack them in a polystyrene box with some seaweed, some ice blocks and some towels soaked in seawater, then put said polystyrene box in his suitcase/cabin bag.
snow report
Mr. Moose comes on many of our trips. He's a stuffed animal that we bought in Whistler about 40 years ago to give to our newborn niece but we decided to keep him for ourselves! His once-brown hair is now laced with gray (UV exposure) but he still gets after it. Last year I took him to Targhee and set him on the kitchen windowsill so he "could see any relatives walking past my car" and laughed at my silliness. Not five minutes later two moose walked right by!

snow report
...and I missed the Christmas tree in the OP! Easy winner there. Massive style points!
snow conditions
Poshprop wrote:
welshflyer wrote:

Could job you weren't travelling to the USA as illegal to import Haggis. Something to do with the lung content, I believe.

Back in the early nineties I packed a balaclava to Corfu. Needed it for my miners impression.

Can confirm this as true, had one confiscated at Logan Airport in Boston in 1992. Spent an awkward hour in a small room with US customs. I never did find out which bit of the haggis they had an issue with!
snow report
Weirdly we have never owned a set of egg cups, just one shot glass I have from uni days. I have a system for that single egg cup as they are not a rare food in our house, it’s been working fine for 12 years. I imagine I’d come up with a system if I really wanted a boiled egg somewhere else probably just hold it with a tea towel & eat one at a time.
ski holidays
I decided that instead of steak fondue, if I really want a steak I will just fry one as long as it’s some overpriced high quality one from the mountain shop it will probably be less hassle anyway. Not quite as fun though but probably safer with a small child around Eh oh!
latest report
Rh2205 wrote:
I imagine I’d come up with a system if I really wanted a boiled egg somewhere else probably just hold it with a tea towel & eat one at a time.

Just cut out a single section of the box they come in and use as an egg cup. Simples. Toofy Grin
snow report
@Old Fartbag, don't come on here with your common sense!
snow report
Mini kettle.

Folks cleaning their underwear in hotel kettles is a thing I'm afraid to say.
snow conditions
DJL wrote:

Embarassed

Skullie

I watched Valerie Singleton back in the day!
ski holidays
I’ve travelled on internal flights with a rifle a couple of times, which is all good if you let the airline know, but feels a bit dodgy
snow conditions
Ionizingskin wrote:
Mini kettle.

And that's me never travelling without a kettle again spoo
ski holidays
So people boil their duds in the kettle. Next person boils the kettle and disposes of the water. Kettle sterilised. Get over yourselves
snow report
Ionizingskin wrote:
Mini kettle.

Wait, what? Skullie
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have worked in the hotel biz on and off for a few years and this is definitely a thing. But it’s by no means the worst thing…….
ski holidays
Shocked Skullie
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
DJL wrote:

Embarassed

Skullie

I watched Valerie Singleton back in the day!

Yeah a lot of men did!
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Rh2205 wrote:
I imagine I’d come up with a system if I really wanted a boiled egg somewhere else probably just hold it with a tea towel & eat one at a time.

Just cut out a single section of the box they come in and use as an egg cup. Simples. Toofy Grin

What we did before the camping egg cups Toofy Grin
snow report
Drew the short straw and had to carry a car battery as hand luggage between Kathmandu and Lukla.
Security just asked what it was, a battery I said, like for a radio they said, yes sure said I and then sat on the flight holding the battery steady between my feet
ski holidays
@Owlette, “And that's me never travelling without a kettle again “

What? - so you can wash your undies?! Toofy Grin

But Holidaylover’s right - kettle has self cleaning capability. Think what could have happened to other contents of your apartment…

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 23-12-23 12:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
As for eggcups - yes, use the holders they came in - saves on washing up (and you don’t have to worry about remembering to pack them for the return journey after last breakfast).
latest report
Some 30+ years ago a friend was doing a season in Val D’Isere where we were due to go for Christmas. I asked him if he wanted anything brought out, he said a box of his favourite chocolate bars and jokingly some of your mums trifle. Much to his surprise a Tupperware container of said Sherry trifle ( which I must say was legendary to anyone who had ever had the good fortune to try it Very Happy ) arrived. He was most appreciative.
latest report
I don’t boil my underwear at home so hardly going to start doing that in a kettle while away. The water out of the tap is usually hot enough for handwashing. We always have a travel kettle with us if travelling by car in case there is not one in a hotel we might stop at.
My OH flew into JFK many years ago with Mont d’Or cheese for our (then) daughter in law. I had wrapped and wrapped it in foil, cling wrap, you name it, but he was sure he could smell it in the overhead locker as the flight went on. It was fine and he got it in ok.
latest report
Not for skiing but a saddle, several bridles, head collars and heavy winter horse rugs… to Egypt.
I had a whole 2nd suitcase of kit so there were a few jokes of “is the horse in the other bag” on the way through the airport Smile
snow report
Used to bring back a load of Kalakukko on travels back from Finland (fish baked in a loaf of rye bread). Also used to take a portable humidifier when kids were younger.
latest report
Quote:

Also used to take a portable humidifier when kids were younger.

Are we back to kettle stories.

Allegedly kettle cooking is a thing in some of his majesty's institutions. Catch a pigeon or other animal and boil it in the kettle for a meal.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy