Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste in Aosta - the law regarding off piste equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As the internet doesn’t seem to answer the question very well, “Do you need avi gear when doing safe off piste in Aosta?”, I though I’d see if I could find the law. This seems to be the law.

The relevant section is article 7:

Art. 7
(Sci fuori pista e sci-alpinismo)

1. Il concessionario degli impianti funiviari e il gestore delle piste di sci non sono responsabili degli incidenti che possono verificarsi nei percorsi fuori pista serviti dagli impianti medesimi o al di fuori delle aree e delle piste individuate ai sensi dell'articolo 3 della presente legge e della l.r. 9/1992.

2. I soggetti che praticano lo sci-alpinismo devono sempre munirsi di appositi sistemi elettronici per garantire un idoneo e tempestivo intervento di soccorso.

Google translates this as:

Article 7
(Off-piste skiing and ski mountaineering)

1. The concessionaire of the cableway facilities and the manager of the ski slopes are not responsible for accidents that may occur on the off-piste routes served by the facilities themselves or outside the areas and slopes identified pursuant to article 3 of this law and of the r.l. 9/1992.

2. Those who practice ski mountaineering must always equip themselves with special electronic systems to guarantee suitable and timely rescue intervention.

My knowledge of Italian is thanks to French, Spanish and Latin. Somebody here will doubtless speak better Italian than I don’t, but there seems to be a distinction between off piste and ski mountaineering. The latter seems to be defined as using skins or carrying your skis uphill.

Therefore this seems to say that even if off piste unless you’re actually travelling uphill under you own steam you don’t need any kit at all, and if you are taking yourself uphill you only need a transceiver not the rest of the kit.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 18-01-24 12:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's been a while since I skied in Aosta, but there was a story reported in the press maybe 10 years ago which involved skiers being checked by police and found to be lacking the gear, they got fined for that. They were well off-piste but not mountaineering. The advice I had from a guide in Chamonix was that it's fine to go off pise in Aosta but you must carry the usual gear.

It's only sensible to carry this gear anyway, so it's really not an issue. It's much more of an issue in Veneto, which covers parts of the Dolomites, over there it is technically illegal to ski off piste at all.
I know of guides who do it, they are careful to not ski above any pistes as that seems to be the area police are concerened about
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@James the Last, last time I looked, Aosta doesn't mandate avvy kit but Piedmonte (Alagna) does. So there are technically checks for access to the Punta Indren lift (all off piste). It's not always manned however.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few years ago, you would not get access to the Indren funifor unless carrying the holy trinity.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sah, yes, the only info on the internet is a post by you from 2015 where you say there is no clarity. This is what sent me tracking down the legislation.

There appears to be a general Italian law https://www.gazzettaufficiale.it/eli/id/2004/01/05/003G0393/sg which at article 17 appears to require people ski mountaineering to have a bleeper (but nothing else) when there is a risk of avalanche - I know that some people on the internet seem to interpret that as level 3 or above. The Aosta regional law above mirrors this.

However the Piedmonte law linked here does indeed mandate full avalanche kit for ski mountaineering and 'freeride' - whatever that means.

Art. 30
(Sci fuori pista)
1. I gestori delle piste di sci non sono in alcun modo responsabili degli incidenti che possono verificarsi nei percorsi fuori pista ancorché serviti dagli impianti medesimi, né sui percorsi individuati all'articolo 4, comma 2, lettera f).
2. I soggetti che praticano lo sci alpinismo ed il freeride sono tenuti a munirsi di appositi sistemi elettronici di segnalazione e ricerca, pala e sonda da neve per garantire un idoneo e tempestivo intervento di soccorso.

Google translate again:

Article 30
(Off-piste skiing)
1. The managers of the ski slopes are in no way responsible for accidents that may occur on off-piste routes even if served by the facilities themselves, nor on the routes identified in article 4, paragraph 2, letter f).
2. Those who practice ski mountaineering and freeriding are required to equip themselves with special electronic signaling and search systems, shovel and snow probe to ensure suitable and timely rescue intervention.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Onnem, they definitely don’t always check unless someones invented inflatable shovels and probes that don’t need backpacks!

In that I can’t recall exactly how the controls were being applied but I do recall seeing folks getting on without packs.

Although, memory being what it is, that may have been before the law was introduced.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interestingly the Indren funifor is in Aosta, so if my analysis above is right you only need a transceiver and not shovel/probe - and then only if you are 'ski mountaineering'.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@James the Last, afaik, it's operated under Piedmonte rules. But you could well be right. It's not what the sign at the top says, I don't think?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy