Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

24/25 Plan Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know this is a long way out but all the skiing on social media is getting to me and I need some motivation to save and not travel for about 10 months! Skullie

I'm based in Ireland and want to plan multiple ski trips through Winter 24/25. I've skied a few places - Andorra, Norway, Germany & Sweden - but I'm pretty rusty now and will need some lessons. The goals really are to improve, see some new places and have some new experiences.

A few questions I have are:

Does anyone have any general advice on the above?
Where could I look for reliable early season snow? (I got it in Hafjell one early December).
How many days skiing do you start thinking about buying your own boots and skis etc rather than renting?
Any tips on doing somethings a little different like learning some tricks or back country skiing or things like that?

The only part that looks set so far is a few days in Garmisch-Partenkirchen with friends in January!

It's a pretty loose post so I appreciate any help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome.

1. Val d'Isere (France)
2. Val Thorens (France)
3. Obergurgl (Austria)

Rent for first 2-4 weeks. Buy, after that, when hooked.

Go to a tricks hub, like Verbier (Switzerland), if you want to learn backflips, frontflips, etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After 40 years on and off, I still never bought boots or skis. I do one, occasionally 2 trips per year. Not worth the hassle of carrying skis and my feet seem to fit boots (they are probably very loose, but at least I don’t get blisters).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Consider going to a mega resort and get a season pass, so you save some money there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Orange200 wrote:
Consider going to a mega resort and get a season pass, so you save some money there.

Agreed and would add, if you can find something close to an airport/easy transfers from an airport, you could do weekends away. Somewhere like Verbier, Chamonix or the Portes du Soleil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Once you know you’re definitely hooked, buy boots.

No need to ever buy skis.

Near guaranteed early snow? Norway, Val Thorens, Hochgurgl, Zermatt/Cervinia, Ischgl.

Backcountry etc skills …. go on a Snoworks or Warren Smith course.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the suggestions. Gives me a few ideas to start.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Early season snow: Go to a snowhead bash? That also got the lesson part covered too.

Buying vs renting: buy boots, period! It alone will improve your skiing! Forget skis. Bulky to carry and quickly out of date.

Learning backcountry and/or tricks: by all means! Start by skiing backwards. Nothing teaches you about edge pressure than skiing switched. Progress to flat 360, take a tiny bit of air etc. Also, learn to ski moguls. I mean ski it properly, not just getting down it, but smoothly, fast and in control.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PreSeasonBash in Tignes - cheap, great availability of top instructors, very sociable and last few years have had big dumps of snow Toofy Grin
Definitely buy boots, rent skis. Have fun Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy