Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gondola crash in Hochoetz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There has been an incident with a Gondola at Hochoetz in Tirol. Four people have been seriously injured. It appears a tree fell onto the cable casing the Gondola to come adrift from the support wire.
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/skigebiet-gondel-absturz-tirol-oesterreich-1.6330170
https://www.derstandard.de/story/3000000202332/-gondel-in-tirol-abgest252rzt-vier-schwerverletzte
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.breakinglatest.news/news/ski-gondola-collapses-in-austria-four-seriously-injured/
in English
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ORF says much the same: https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3239844/

Horrendous. And the second time locally in around 6 months (a bubble hit the ground in Schlick last summer during a storm. Fortunately it was empty, but the family in the gondola behind were still quite traumatised).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That is awful. Stuff of nightmares.

I have a vague recollection that a ski patroller in the USA died when a tree fell across a chairlift cable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Daily Mail version of events: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12942655/amp/Four-seriously-injured-gondola-crashes-Austrian-ski-resort-tree-falls-cables.html?ico=amp_articleRelated_with_images

All quite sobering when it's a lift you've been on Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ironically we were on the Pengelstein 2 chair a couple of weeks ago with a local. (ie born here in Kitzbuhel) There is an unusual metal bridge which we always try to ponder its reason for being there. He reckons it was because of the height above the ground of the chair itself. I didnt think it was particularly high, but as I said he was born here. Anyway, the discussion moved on slighly to the point he added that if the cable broke, other than right above you, the chair itself would only slowly lower itself to the ground, and we would be ok. Logic says, yes hes correct, other than if its the cable directly above your chair that actually broke.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bad. I do hope that they recover.

Roll back my memory to 2010. Very heavy snowfall in Crans Montana. Up to the lifts in anticipation. Nothing running. Silence. And then a chainsaw starts up above us. And another. And another. Foresters with Stihl chansaws walk past. What's going on? we ask. Guide friend: '...they've realised that many of the trees are actually too close to the cables...they've neglected tree clearing and so they are doing it now...'. That was a VERY long and hard day for the foresters and pisteurs and a day in the chalet for us...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How a rope grip works:

http://youtube.com/v/hMykPtmjKiw
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:
Bad. I do hope that they recover.

Roll back my memory to 2010. Very heavy snowfall in Crans Montana. Up to the lifts in anticipation. Nothing running. Silence. And then a chainsaw starts up above us. And another. And another. Foresters with Stihl chansaws walk past. What's going on? we ask. Guide friend: '...they've realised that many of the trees are actually too close to the cables...they've neglected tree clearing and so they are doing it now...'. That was a VERY long and hard day for the foresters and pisteurs and a day in the chalet for us...

My first reaction (without knowing all the facts) was that someone's been getting lazy on their off season forest management. One thing I notice every year in the PdS is the number of freshly cut stumps and branches either side of chairs that run through the trees. OK, still a chance of a sick tree a safe distance from the chair falling and knocking a closer one down/into the chair but reassuring than someone's actually been up there checking and clearing out any reasonably predictable risks.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis wrote:
How a rope grip works:

I've always tried not to think too hard about the fact it's really just a chuffing great spring holding the chair to the cable!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ulmerhutte wrote:

Yup. A reminder of the risks with skiing/mountains, even when apparently not doing anything dangerous, unlucky as it may be. Presumably the authorities are going to do a massive post-mortem of how this was allowed to happen, not a great advert for skiing in Austria..
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pyramus wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Yup. A reminder of the risks with skiing/mountains, even when apparently not doing anything dangerous, unlucky as it may be. Presumably the authorities are going to do a massive post-mortem of how this was allowed to happen, not a great advert for skiing in Austria..

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1989/01/13/Six-killed-in-cable-car-crash/8993600670800/

Not a great advert for skiing in France

https://theaviationist.com/2023/02/03/otd-in-1998-the-cavalese-incident/?utm_content=cmp-true

Not a great advert for skiing in Italy

rolling eyes

I could go on rolling eyes

After some of the extreme high winds and tree/tree limb damage, followed by fairly heavy snowfall, there will always be some risk. Sometimes it is just not possible to eradicate all potential hazards in the mountains. Sometimes it’s just not possible to provide a cotton wool wrapped environment for the pursuit of winter snow sports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Generally in the main Alpine countries we can rely on high standards of construction and maintenance of lifts. Yes, it's always a risk, but a very small one. A few years ago when there was very heavy snow, very early, before the fir trees had had time to assume their winter "droop" there were lots of fallen trees in the forest around our place. It was October, I'd not put on my winter tyres, and had to lash up some chains that were too big, just to get out of the car park.

The fact that this strikes horror into our hearts, in a way that a report of a routinely ghastly RTA hardly merits a second glance, and no cries of "nightmare!" says it all, really.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

not a great advert for skiing in Austria..

correct, stay away
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy