Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slopes App

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We discovered the amazing ski phone app called “Slopes” earlier this season and wanted to give it quick plug as I think the features would be appreciated by many snowheads. I am in no way affiliated or benefit from this recommendation.

It combines SkiTracks with better run-by-run analysis, tracking of approved friends and family using Slopes on the included piste map of the resort where you are skiing, lift and run data and elevation profiles by clicking on the lines on the ski map - handy for lift closing times.

Also allows you to compare live and lifetime stats vs friends and import past data from SkiTracks and Garmin to keep an extensive log book. I have been able to import all the data that I’ve recorded on my Garmin since 2018/19 season, and new days can be grouped by trips in the logbook. It can also sends the activity to Strava at the end of the day. All this is well integrated with one click permissions.

Most of the useful features are free and there are low cost annual premium subscriptions. I paid £50 for a family subscription which provides premium access to 6 members . I decided to subscribe to support the developer who has done a brilliant job and is continually adding new features.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been using this since 2019. Brilliant app, though I've never used any others. Don't ski often enough to subscribe but the day passes are good value.

Just need to remember to end your session at the end of the day though. I once drove all the way to Cluses as a 'run' on the app! I was able to edit the recording to remove this luckily.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting, the home page is here btw: https://getslopes.com/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I discovered this app very recently, I was introduced to it by friends in Val Thorens. It was a fun way to come together at the end of the day and reminisce, to see where we all had been. I'm not such a big fan of the stats - it sort of focuses on rankings like top speed and total distance skiied, which for me sort of miss the point of skiing. But there are lots of other wonderful features. I particularly like that it links your photos and videos to the map of your runs, so you can retrace your steps and see exactly where you took various photos. I also found it really interesting to see graphically how much time we spent skiing vs how much time on lifts vs how much time standing around doing nothing!

Also - for our big (14 person) group it was useful a few times to see where we all were on the mountain, so you could tell if someone was near you and make an effort to meet up with them. We all did that a few times during the week and it was a lot of fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another thumbs up from me - been using since 2018/2019 and has been continually improved.
Good helpful response from the devs when we had some subscription issues last season . Resolved very quickly.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is terrific if there are a number of you, folks skiing different areas or starting at different times. Quite addictive
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would have given it a ringing endorsement until the last trip. After using it for three seasons, this time it simply didn't work - wouldn't start recording. I've now deleted it. It's not clear why it stopped. So I suggest that you make sure it operates OK for you ahead of using it in earnest. I suspect it my be to do with what's now an older iPhone and AppleWatch OS.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TBH, I tried it for a week this year instead of SkiTracks including day passes and wasn't particularly impressed because of the focus on beating your friends (i.e., the annoying aspect of Strava with less justification). It is nicer looking and has more features, e.g.: heart rate zones (which I don't want to worry about because I'm on holiday, not training for my holiday). One thing I couldn't work out how to do was take a photo (I attached them later). I'm sure it's easy, it's just not obvious, and it is obvious how to do it in SkiTracks.

Notably, Slopes needed more manual updating of runs/lifts than SkiTracks. Every day it told me I had skied a third of the way up the gondola that morning. Editing on the phone is not obvious but is straightforward when you get the hang of it.

However, the "find your friends" feature could be useful I imagine, if everyone is into it. It does have the "auto update Strava" feature which SkiTracks doesn't but I can do that by using my Garmin watch and simultaneously SkiTracks on my phone.

Getting this year's data out of Slopes into SkiTracks is proving something of a challenge although that's really SkiTracks' problem in not being able to import GPX files.

Net: if you want to compete yourself with your friends without actually talking to them, it's better than SkiTracks. It's certainly better than Strava for the case that @Frosty the Snowman mentioned:
Quote:
if there are a number of you, folks skiing different areas or starting at different times.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LaForet wrote:
I would have given it a ringing endorsement until the last trip. After using it for three seasons, this time it simply didn't work - wouldn't start recording. I've now deleted it. It's not clear why it stopped. So I suggest that you make sure it operates OK for you ahead of using it in earnest. I suspect it my be to do with what's now an older iPhone and AppleWatch OS.

I found the recording does not start properly if you start directly from the banner alert notification that is received when it senses you are within proximity of a lift. Works fine when start recording inside the app event on kids iphones tat are old hand me downs.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tsgsh, I found that when I just took photos with my phone camera as normal, Slopes found them and attached them to my runs automatically. I didn't have to use any photo features in the app itself.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great app. I control it via my Apple Watch . Just remember to switch it on at the start of the day! The free version is adequate and seems to link in with Apple health strava and fat maps.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LaForet, I’m not sure if it is your watch - I have up to date everything and it wouldn’t start for me either. Went back to using my Garmin.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@andy from embsay, the Garmin integration works well and will automatically transfer from Garmin Connect. Slopes automatically imported all my activities dating back from 18/19 in a few minutes once I set up permissions.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy