Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Refurbished rental skis …. Worth it ??

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for some advice.
Looking at renting skis and boots for family. Now kids are older any paying adult prices this is becoming quite steep. Only intermediate skis/ boots. One site Alpine Answers offers refurbished skis and boots which are in their 3/4th rented year. Cheaper …. But is it worth it ?? Can a once a year skier tell the difference??

Thanks in advance Eh oh!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's the cost difference?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About €150 roughly
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you fly, probably not going to save much in the long run once you take account of baggage costs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SnoodyMcFlude, I think the OP means renting the old skis, not buying them

OP if that's the case, I would say the saving is worth it at your level, yes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@red 27, ah right, in that case definitely. My own skis were bought second hand and had already seen things, they've now had a further 7 or 8 trips with me where they've been very much treated as tools. They still slide and turn as skis should.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How do you "refurbish" a set of skis and bindings.

They have to be serviced regularly anyhow. It's not like a car engine or perhaps a PC that you could strip down, clean, maybe replace/upgrade one or two parts and put back together again.

AFAIK skis go dead (lose their flexibility) or the edges are worn down (so can't be sharpened anymore) at a certain point and bindings will simply fail or worse not function properly.

Sounds to me a bit like they are trying to sweat an old asset that owes them nothing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hmmm....I have had variable experience with using refurbished ex-rental skis, which mainly we have been given by people in the trade rather than paid for. My daughter is still skiing on some ancient Salomon exrentals which are in a dreadful cosmetic state. But ski perfectly, with great camber. Meanwhile I threw away last season a pair of ex-rental Rossignols which my partner was skiing on. They were totally devoid of camber and skied dreadfully. But they had cost nothing and had done three seasons. Meanwhile, I bought a pair of Volkls in a difficult-to-find length on ebay from an Austrian supplier as an act of desperation. When they arrived, they were TOTALLY skied out - zero camber and with the resilience of over-cooked spaghetti. Hold them up and they sagged. Made this clear and got a full refund. Which was very reasonable. In other words...roll the dice...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought some ex-rental Factions for my partner. They were totally fine. Bases and edges were great, they had pics of everything on the site. I recently sold them as I found a stupid bargain on some new Salomons. Pretty much got back what I paid for them. So if you can see the exact ski you're going to order and know what you want I'd say they're fine (in my limited experience). They're about the price of a weeks rental or less, so 2 trips and you're up. We drive though so don't need to factor in airline baggage costs which may skew it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve got my teenagers skis from here & I’ve got friends that bought some to leave in my cave as same price as hiring, no issues with any of them.
https://freeglisse.com/en/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aren't all rental skis "refurbished", except for the first couple of uses? They get run over the belt sander/stone grinder with regularity to fix what the renter did to them yesterday etc.

So its fine. I've also bought some at season-end, an affordable way to try something different.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OP, are you still with us? If so, could you please provide an update as it's a bit of a cliffhanger atm Eh oh!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never had a bad pair, especially top end skis
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bought 8 sets of these guys over the years https://freeglisse.com/en/ Brilliant service and value.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, thank you all Eh oh! it was hiring them via Alpine something ….. from a rental shop in ski resort. I think the skis were 3 or 4 year old (possibly 5) just not new season (1 or 2 years I assume). So long as they are carvers and not wooden I am tempted to go with them!!
ski holidays
@Hils68, Eh oh! you 'po' it makes sense snowHead
snow conditions
integral wrote:
Bought 8 sets of these guys over the years https://freeglisse.com/en/ Brilliant service and value.

Freeglisse have their shop just off the A40 in Pierre-en-Faucigny (before Bonneville/Cluses). It's on the way to the Haute Savoie stations. Well worth a stop if you need good value new gear, too, including some clothing and accessories. Won't be big name brands but perfectly good quality. You can also take a look at any skis/boots in their inventory. There were some really good deals on new rando stuff, too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy