Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Working the season in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter wants to work the ski season in one of the Canadian resorts (BC/Alberta) after she graduates from university. She has Canadian nationality, so no need for visa etc. She's not a qualified instructor, would ideally like to work as a liftie, but would be happy in retail/hospitality.

Any suggestions of where to start looking for opportunities? TIA.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Banff (Lake Louise and Sunshine) would be a good place to start. Everyone employed there (on mountain and in town) seems to be a foreigner, with a heavy Aussie presence.

https://www.skibig3.com/employment/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given she already has the Canadian passport what is she looking beyond working a season?

Is she thinking of staying in Canada longer for example? Has she lived in Canada already?(things like social insurance number for example)

Banff and Lake Louise will give the most euro style seasonaire experience (along with Whistler) but she could also consider some of the other smaller BC towns as well which would normally be harder due to paperwork but not so much in her case.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You probably need to narrow it down somewhat.

- what kind of skiing does she want?
- is nightlife/off slope activities important?
- budget?

Depending on those things would massively effect which resort to pick.

Some general advice. Working for the ski hill has it's advantages - free lift pass, potentially staff accomodation, you will almost certainly meet similar people (most of the liftys are foreigners doing seasons). The negatives - you are going to be working a lot during potential ski time, usually pay is not great, if you hate your job you may be somewhat held hostage by not being able to afford to give up the free lift pass and buy one at full cost.

Personally, I'd rather try and get an evening job and maximise ski time. Restaurant hostess is good money (minimum wage plus a healthy tipping culture).

Finding affordable accommodation can be difficult if you are just turning up. I'd absolutely recommend hostels for someone out there on their own. Not only are they going to be a cheaper option, but you will meet a ton of people. (Obviously not to everyone's taste).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boarder2020 wrote:

Personally, I'd rather try and get an evening job and maximise ski time. Restaurant hostess is good money (minimum wage plus a healthy tipping culture).

I was going to say the same as this. Get a bar/restaurant job so you can maximise ski time! Trust me, staring at the mountains from your office desk every day sucks Laughing (in some respects, in others it's great!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree, if you want to ski, then being a liftie is not a good choice. Evening bar / restaurant work has to be the way to go if ski time is what you want.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My daughter has been in Whistler for over a year. Got a job as a ski instructor no problem with BASI1 but did have 5 years instructor experience on plastic here in Glasgow. She done an adaptive course at the start of the season and done a lot of that last year and now does solely adaptive instruction. She also done the CSIA2 last year - the majority of which was funded by ski school.
She worked as a mountain bike 'guide' for kids during summer without any level of experience or qualification - basically took kids around trails. Then in October she got a job putting up Xmas lights, which paid marginally more than instruction. She worked with a girl during the summer who had never skied before but dove her CSIA1 at start of this season and now works at ski school, so don't worry if she doesn't have the ski qualification yet.
All sounds great so far BUT accommodation is a real issue if not going through one of these agencies who arrange instructor course etc. My daughter lived in a car during summer for example with her friend and sometimes 2 friends. Accommodation is also very expensive and I don't think Banff is any different to Whistler.
She will love it though
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chart_monkey_neil,
Assume she's looking at 2024/25?
Try the UK tour operators who go to Canada - the passport will be a huge advantage. Look on their websites as to what roles the have & get relevant experience onto the CV.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I worked ski shops in Whistler '98/'99 and Banff '05/'06 Brits and Aussies did all the non pro jobs. For most resorts working for the company that runs the mountain makes life easyier but you do end up with lower wages. Both seasons I had to be there in person in autum an go through teir job fair in person.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't back this up with data but I don't think Banff is quite as bad as Whistler for accommodation because Canmore acts as a bit of over spill. Having said that housing is a hot topic across all of Canada and especially in BC. So much so that the BC government is in the process of enacting some pretty sweeping changes around short term rentals (i.e AirBnB) to move more availability into long term rentals.
It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Lack of housing is a key reason why small BC mountain towns struggle to fill service jobs.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all - much appreciated. Some great tips, and points that I'd not thought of, so lots of food for thought. In answer to @Kenzie, yes 24/25 season, so lots of time to look at options and get in contact with hill operators/tour companies etc. She doesn't know if she'll stay on in resort (or in Canada) after a season, but @boabski comments are interesting.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There’re a lot more ski mountains in Canada than Whistler and Banff!

Since she doesn’t need a sponsor for visa, I’d think she would have far more opportunity and less competition in one of the interior mountains: Fernie, Sun Peak, Panorama… Not to mention more authentic Canadian experience.

In Whistler, she’ll probably be the only Canadian amongst the Aussies & Kiwis. Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Friends daughters are doing their 2nd season in Whstler - they were both lifties last season, this year one is working in hospitality. The jobs are with Vail and they get discounted accommodation - friend says without that it wouldn’t be viable.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

but I don't think Banff is quite as bad as Whistler for accommodation because Canmore acts as a bit of over spill.

You are correct that Banff isn't as bad as whistler. But I'm not sure it's because of Canmore, which is not really any closer to the ski hills than Squamish is to whistler. I think it's just whistler is the marquee resort for Canada, plus being on the epic pass, makes it the place to visit. Also Banff peak tourism definitely seems like summer rather than winter.

Quote:

In Whistler, she’ll probably be the only Canadian amongst the Aussies & Kiwis.

My experience of red, kicking horse, revy, and fernie is that they are all predominantly Aussie lifties. You would probably have to go somewhere small (I don't remember Aussies at Kimberley) or remote (probably none in shames!). I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for ops daughter though - they are usually quite an outgoing social crowd.

Quote:

Not to mention more authentic Canadian experience.

Yes. But more authentic doesn't necessarily mean better. At 21 I'd much rather had all the off slope activities at whistler. I love kicking horse, but golden is a boring dump, but yes more authentic.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boarder2020 wrote:

Yes. But more authentic doesn't necessarily mean better. At 21 I'd much rather had all the off slope activities at whistler. I love kicking horse, but golden is a boring dump, but yes more authentic.

There's probably a reason why Banff and Whistler are so popular, especially for those wanting to do seasons. Catch 22 though really, as that in part leads to the housing issues.
snow conditions
Unlike Whistler, Banff is built for the summer. Ski season is the off season.
snow report
@pfreet,

Have you been to Whistler in the summer recently?
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
@pfreet,

Have you been to Whistler in the summer recently? Puzzled

Whistler famously quiet in the summer Laughing Laughing
latest report
I didn't say Whistler isn't busy in the summer. But it does not exactly compare to Banff. 3 million people visit Whistler each year, half in the summer, half in the winter. 4 million people visit Banff, 3/4 of them in the summer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy