Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alta Badia / Arabba late March ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Greetings all,
I'm planning a ski trip at the end of March and am targetting the Dolomites as destination. I was told that Alta Badia and Arabba would be recommended because they are at a higher altitude, but I'm a bit afraid of not being already too warm.
What do you guys think?
Thank you,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Everywhere is pretty warm by late March.

It's spring skiing, often sunny - and often slushy in the afternoons.

End of March is Easter holidays this year of course - you know that already perhaps
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not been at that time but Arabba has some decent north facing skiing that I think would be fine and would personally choose that as the option.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't recommend the area for late March - if you do go it has to be Arabba : be prepared to ski in the Morning and chill out in the Afternoon
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I go there during that timeframe every year. Always enough snow on piste even in lousy years like last year. Nearly all the days have been the same: the snow freezes overnight so you have hard cord to start, and you follow the sun and increase the slope angle as the surface softens. Alta Badia isn't very steep but first thing in the morning the hard snow makes the runs there ski a bit faster, good for some easy warmup laps. Then head to the steeper stuff at Arabba (or Val Gardena). By 1:00 it is getting bumpy and you can't go fast anymore. Since I do half-board, I don't want much for lunch, so I just get the first lift in the morning and go hard until around 1 and call it a day.

I also ski various Austrian resorts on the same trip. Conditions there have not been materially different during the same timeframe.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been early and mid March a few times and conditions were very good. I may have been lucky.

If there is not a big squad of you on the trip, why don't you leave it very late to make the decision? Who knows where the best conditions could be?Italy, France, Austria etc. Some places could a write off, some could be brilliant, some could have forecast warm weather and heavy rain etc.

If you leave the decision very late indeed, you'll have the best information available and can decide where to go based on the current conditions and forecast. There should be no shortage of accommodation in late March, though the very early Easter may increase demand slightly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We did the last week of the season in April 23 - stayed in Selva.

Warm for the first two days so standard slushfest by mid day then dropped very cold so the snow held up (higher up) most of the day.

Pistes were as well maintained as usual . They do a superb job. No snow at all in town so felt a bit odd - some shops and restaurants were already shutting up shop. Town was eerily quiet .

Had a blast though , empty lifts and slopes (apart from an occasional pinch point - e.g. the horrid red from top of Ciampanoi).

Sella ronda and offshoots all open .

Locals said we got lucky - maybe once every 5 years that week is as cold as it was…not sure I would take the risk again (or book last minute).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy