Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beating Ryanair

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ryanair charges high fees for taking a ski bags on flights. In the olden days, I noticed in their t&c's, that they had no requirements for length (just weight) on checked baggage. So I used to just pay the £20 or so to check in my ski bag (as if it were a normal bag), then turn up every time to the bemusement of the check in staff, and check my ski bag in, after explaining this to them.

However, in the last few years, they have caught on and put in a length allowance on check luggage which is just over a meter, so too short for most ski bags, unless you're bringing slalom toothpicks. So have begrudgingly paid the £45 or gone with BA, which is often the same price once you factor in this hefty fee,

However, I noticed that there is an option for generic 'sports bag', it says in the description 'for things like body boards etc', but having scoured the T&C's of ryanair, I can see no exact list of what constitutes goods in 'sports bags'. This sports bag option is £35 so £10 cheaper than ski bags.

So my question is, has anyone cheekily tried to book a ski bag, as just a sports bag, and got away with it? It only saves £10 a flight, so £20 a return. But every little helps, and it always feels good to beat ryanair?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. I've always take one the cheapest option of the sports items as it's close to what I have. They don't bother. What could also work is having a car seat in a ski bag and if you travel with a child it comes for free and you can then swap car seat for skiis. But that method I only checked for adding extra skiing clothes when travelled without a proper check-in luggage.
The only issue could be when it comes to insurance/compensation if something happens but I haven't read T&Cs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I LOVE Ryanair, not their planes but their social media team is superb and I want a silly little trumpet sound on landing, adds a sense of occasion Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Nadenoodlee, I actually love them both, planes and SM. They've disrupted the market. I do find it annoying how they charge for silly things but they need to find money somewhere. Re silly trumpet, I had an idea when landing recently with BA to take my marshall speaker next time to BA and play that trumpet after landing Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I had an idea when landing recently with BA to take my marshall speaker next time to BA and play that trumpet after landing
Always good to know the type of speaker! wink (Alternative makes are available!) Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@maliziacgo, if it’s Ryanair staff on check in, they would probably pick it up and charge extortionate airport charges, I was aggressively questioned at Palma when checking in a very big roll bag, if it contained sports equipment, I said no ( it did, an inflatable kayak Toofy Grin ) surprisingly they didn’t ask to look inside.
I think a ski bag can only look like one thing, a ski bag.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done it and never had any issue.

To be honest, I have never had any issue with Ryanair on baggage ,reliability, cancellations etc. BA however have been an unreliable shambles for me in the last 6 years.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ll add KLM to the list of shambles, ski bag lost on the way to Geneva… now flying home and we’re at our Amsterdam connection and the bag is active in Geneva still!

Now wondering what’s the point… might as well rent.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
damanpunk wrote:
I’ll add KLM to the list of shambles, ski bag lost on the way to Geneva… now flying home and we’re at our Amsterdam connection and the bag is active in Geneva still!

Now wondering what’s the point… might as well rent.

I’m not sure you can guarantee anything with any airline anymore. Two out of two trips in 2022 resulted in lost bags by TUI into BHX & BA into LHR - thankfully both on the way back though. It really is a case of you pay your money, you take your chances. I’m keeping everything crossed for SAS in a couple of weeks ………..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi. I'll post here, as I don't want to resurrect old Ryanair topics.
My question is, did someone fly with them recently, carrying the ski equipment? I have separate bags for skis and boots and I don't know if they will count together towards the purchase of skis luggage. I couldn't find any small print saying that is skis solely. The logical assumption when you say ski equipment is to include the basic gear, skis+boots+poles. Also the weight allowance of 20kg makes sense. I get they don't check the content, but it should be only one bag?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It will be one bag, so you either need a bag big enough for ski boots too (in theory our one is but we put clothes in it instead). We however always take boots in hand luggage as don’t want them going missing or delayed at the other end, rental skis aren’t a big deal should such issue occur.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rh2205 wrote:
It will be one bag, so you either need a bag big enough for ski boots too (in theory our one is but we put clothes in it instead). We however always take boots in hand luggage as don’t want them going missing or delayed at the other end, rental skis aren’t a big deal should such issue occur.

Well, not that easy with 30.5 mondo boots. Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cooldown wrote:
Rh2205 wrote:

Well, not that easy with 30.5 mondo boots. Smile

And I thought Bigfoot was a myth!! Laughing Laughing

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unfortunate, though my husband carries his 29.5 in a backpack I doubt it would make any difference to him at 30.5. People don’t generally go around measuring backpack dimensions if it’s the size limit you are worried about!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy