Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Avalanche Transceiver Advice and Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello SnowHeads,

I am a new registered user and hoping for a space to become free for the off piste Bash in March. I have old BCA Tracker 2 avalanche transceiver and would like advice on whether I should buy a newer model and if so what do people recommend for an easy to use/intuitive device? I have mostly been skiing "side country" for off piste over the last several years.

Thanks,

Adam
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How old is the Tracker 2? You may want to get it checked to make sure it is still within spec. Otherwise a perfectly good beacon especially for non pro users.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BCA Tracker 2’s were ‘old tech’ 10 years ago, but if it still works within specification then it should be fine.

There was a software update for the Tracker 2 in 2020 - https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/blog/p/t2-software-update

Check here for the latest (and older) reviews. The Tracker 2 is now a 2.5 star against the best 5 star ones - https://beaconreviews.com/transceiver_reviews.php
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our guide buried his transceiver few years ago above Monetieres and told us to walk away until we lost the signal. Mine lost the signal after about 20m. Some on our group stopped walking after 50m due to the terrain, not because they had lost the signal! Mine was the cheapest 4 or 5 years ago. Can't remember the make.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a Mammut Barryvox, and its well worth the price. Easy to use and very effective.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had my old Ortovox M2 for my first 2 bashes and I was ribbed about it being so old. I replaced it last year with the Barryvox.*
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a tracker 2 - its still absolutely fine - its a bit limited in terms of search but someone will find you just fine. If your looking to change then I highly recommend the Mammut Barryvox S. its excellent but does have some advanced features that I will never get to.
Moreover, i recommend Mammut for service. At the start of this season I reloaded a set of batteries and one of the terminals snapped off. Mammut replaced FOC, they said would repair such an important bit of kit!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charliee wrote:
I have a tracker 2 - its still absolutely fine - its a bit limited in terms of search

Hence why people often raise queries about older beacons, in a group. I'm much less worried about my ability to find the older beacon (with a newer one ), than its ability to find me. Like most avalanche gear (apart from airbags) you are basically investing in your ability to find your mate(s) when they are buried. It's reasonable to hope that the people you ski with will also value your life in a similar way.

Personally I'd be ok with someone having a Tracker 2 - it is a 3 antenna beacon, with decent range - but other people may be less comfortable. But I'm always happier if the group does a proper beacon check, including range, at the beginning of a day or trip. I only found out that my ~2 year old Pieps beacon wasn't working properly by doing a full range check. Finding out that you can't pick up another beacon until you're <10 metres away is not a nice feeling, especially when the year before it had a 30+ metre range.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another happy mammut barryvox user here
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for your replies and thoughts. I am probably going to invest in a Barryvox and get the Tracker 2 updated as a back up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy