Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replace gripwalk sole - Atomic Hawx Prime

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I’m hoping there’s someone out there with experience of swapping out gripwalk soles with standard alpine binding suitable replacements, and then back again. I’ll add some context.

I’ve bought a pair of Hawx Prime boots with gripwalk. My plan was to use them for a week coming up in Feb where I was going to demo some skis with a view to buy. Since buying the boots and before that trip, I have booked a last minute trip. My current skis are not suitable for gripwalk boots so need to deal with that issue.

I have bought some Atomic alpine replacement soles and intended to swap the gripwalk to alpine for this trip, then swap back ready to demo the skis. The gripwalk would likely remain fitted forever at this point. However, I’m a little bit reluctant as I believe they are secured with self-tapping screws. Experience tells me that messing with these screws may well loosen them up permanently leading to issues with the soles coming loose. Screws being loose, dependent on circumstances but might need a larger diameter screw, not ideal and could potentially (worse case) render the boot useless

Any views on this from anyone? Perhaps there’s a boot tech here that can advise if it’s ok to do as I plan or should I be wary? I also wondered if the screws use some kind of loctite? Anyone got access to the Atomic service manual please? I assume they’re torqued in but can’t imagine the torque is very high with it being plastic. I did wonder if there was a recessed anchor nut within the boot but I believe that is not the case.

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're overthinking it, just don't overtighten them and they'll be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
indeed, had some salomon pebex pro and swapped out soles many times no problem, also just swapped out on my new nordicas, just be gentle with the screw driver
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Re-screw the new walk soles, until you feel firm resistance in the screw - 1.2Nm max"

Did my Salomon's yesterday...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heel and toe pads screw on because they are designed to be replaceable when they get too worn, so it shouldn't be a problem.
I had new boots in September with Grip walks and had to replace them with Alpines cos my skis don't take grip walk. Been teaching on them since then and it's fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes is you are just swapping a couple of times it will be absolutely fine. If you were going to change more than 20 times then you might start to worry about widening the holes and the screws not gripping so well. Do not try to use any form of loctite, that is for nuts and bolts which this is not.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowrider wrote:
Yes is you are just swapping a couple of times it will be absolutely fine. If you were going to change more than 20 times then you might start to worry about widening the holes and the screws not gripping so well. Do not try to use any form of loctite, that is for nuts and bolts which this is not.

Second this, Loctite degrades many plastics.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies - probably overthinking things but with boots costing as much as they do I certainly don't want to mess them up. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boofont wrote:
Thanks for all the replies - probably overthinking things but with boots costing as much as they do I certainly don't want to mess them up. Very Happy

yes, do it by hand and do NOT over tighten
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
yes, do it by hand and do NOT over tighten

Yes Sir! All noted! Thanks guys. Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm on my third pair of replacement W2R soles on a pair of 7 year old Langes with no problems whatsoever. As said above, be careful when tightening, keep the screws straight and don't go beyond lightly hand tight.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Sharkymark, thanks.

Soles now changed out for standard alpine ones suitable for older bindings. Went fine, screws felt pretty tight going in, nipped up very lightly. Funny enough reading the Atomic user manual they state the soles may be replaced up to five times within the 2 year warranty period. Should have read this sooner right? But hands up, no one ever reads the instruction manuals do they! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

But hands up, no one ever reads the instruction manuals do they!

Especially if you're a man! (Ducks, runs and hides...)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy