Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy liability insurance

Poster: A snowHead
I think I've seen this come up on here before, but think it was a while ago.

I've just bought my lift passes for next week (Dolomites) and after I checked out, it took me to the liability insurance page. I know liability insurance is compulsary in Italy, but I thought it was standard as part of normal travel insurance (with winter sports cover). I've skied in Italy a lot, and never taken out separate insurance, but has anything changed that I need to do something differently about?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have a normal U.K. issued policy, it will certainly include 3rd party liability insurance as required by the Italian authorities. There's nothing additional that you need to do.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WoottonBecs, It seems like they bought that in because many locals were turning up without 3rd party cover, so more aimed at that than others coming from afar with cover on their winter sports insurance that includes it. That’s why there is the option to add it to lift tickets.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
telford_mike wrote:
If you have a normal U.K. issued policy, it will certainly include 3rd party liability insurance as required by the Italian authorities. There's nothing additional that you need to do.

Not all activity is covered though. As ever, check the small print
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks! We definitely won't be off piste or doing anything other than skiing down pistes, so no risky activities.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@WoottonBecs, still check though - its could be innocuous activities like tobogganing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I will double check. But tobogganing terrifies me, so definitely won't be doing that! Skis all the way for me!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WoottonBecs, +1 from me!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As always would be best to start with reading your travel insurance policy first. This has been done to death.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zikomo wrote:
As always would be best to start with reading your travel insurance policy first. This has been done to death.

+1 (I'm amazed how many people don't seem to check what their insurance policy covers - that's what the Policy Wording doc provided is for.)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, check with your travel insurance, don’t just assume you’ll be covered.

We always get the added insurance anyway, it’s only 3 euros a day or so and just gives additional peace of mind.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dav, The "added" insurance in most places is for piste recovery, and will not include 3rd party cover.

My point is, before spending your time asking a question maybe think how you could answer it yourself. In this case by reviewing your travel insurance. Which is such a basic thing to do I don't think anyone needs "advice" ion doing so. Then also maybe a quick search to see if the question has been asked before. It has. Multiple times. And that is easy to find.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know my travel insurance has 'third party liability' cover. My question was whether there's something specific about skiing in Italy that has changed recently. As I said, I've skied Italy 6 times before, and never have I been directed to buy liability insurance after buying lift passes online (even last year, buying the same lift pass, through the same website). So my question was - 'has anything changed'? Hence why a search of old posts wouldn't answer, and those who have lots of knowledge and experience might be able to help.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zikomo wrote:
@Dav, The "added" insurance in most places is for piste recovery, and will not include 3rd party cover.

That’s not necessarily the case. We went to Sauze last year and there were signs up around the lift pass office saying that 3rd party liability was now covered under the lift pass insurance. We looked into it beforehand to make sure. I assumed it was the case for all resorts in Italy, not sure if that’s true but it would make sense if it was.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dav, I suspect @zikomo is referring to France

@WoottonBecs, what has changed is it is now a requirement to have 3rd party liaibilty
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, maybe, but being as the thread is titled “Italy liability insurance”……
snow report
zikomo wrote:

For clarity, I take it your comment about "added" insurance in most places being for piste recovery and not including 3rd party cover is referring to places outside Italy e.g France. As the OP was specifically asking about Italy I think you'll find that the new "added" insurance being offered there specifically covers 3rd party liability as it's now a legal requirement that skiers in Italy have such cover.
snow conditions
@Dav, indeed but wot Alastair says above
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, No, it does not. I was referring to Italy and recent experience (this year). The very Italian resort I was in offered piste rescue cover with the lift pass. And directed you to a separate website/provider if you needed 3rd party cover. Best to get your own facts straight before correcting others.

The point is moot anyway as any sensible skier from UK will have travel insurance, and that will invariably include 3rd party liability. But rather than askin g here if it does, one simply needs to read ones policy.
snow report
I've just been in the Dolomites, where Dolomiti Superski's offering was exactly as described by Alastair Pink. For clarity: recovery AND third party liability insurance cover.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, help me bite my lip, please!
snow conditions
@zikomo, and I was referring to my experience in Italy, where as Hurtle says the Dolomiti Superski additonal insurance does include third party liability (not that I took it as my travel insurance already provided such cover). You said in most places "it will not include 3rd party cover", so I could equally well return your rather aggressive comment about "Best to get your own facts straight before correcting others. ", but I won't. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, you're a better person than I. But that's not news and the bar is·low! Laughing
latest report
@Hurtle, Laughing
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Oh dear. Seems that we both made a generalisation about Italy based on a sample of one.
ski holidays
@zikomo, indeed. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy