Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is best to book for new year?

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya,

Looking to book for 11 people for next new year. Lots of places I’ve looked at so far are not yet showing availability for then. When are most places bookable for next year?

Obviously with 11 of us, we are going to need to book early.

Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@breeze11, is new years your only option?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kind of. We would consider Christmas week but new year would be a bit better for us.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go direct to hotels that interest you. We’ve pre-booked for mid December already at a hotel we know that ticks all our boxes. They let us know the price in May, when we commit and pay a small deposit.

Five years ago hotels didn’t seem to allow this, but this now appears the norm, often German and Austrian guests. We once asked for a particular lovely suite we once had for two seasons ahead, but the same regular guests had booked it for all the key weeks ad infinitum.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 7-01-24 18:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Usually it’s 9 months out for package deals as that’s how far out flights are released. Smaller hotels will be more flexible and allow bookings from around end of Jan (when they have recovered from Xmas and New Year and done all their books
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Crystal sell about 15 months before I think … you could book season 2024/25 from October 2023.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Technically Crystal may sell that early but you’ll find a disclaimer if you do book that all flights and hotels are subject to confirmation - I.e. we will take your money and put you in our queue but we don’t book anything yet ourselves because we can’t with airlines etc and the best we get is to commit to 60 beds for week 1, 50 for week 2 etc etc. of course this may all have changed after Covid….
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agent Orange wrote:
Technically Crystal may sell that early but you’ll find a disclaimer if you do book that all flights and hotels are subject to confirmation - I.e. we will take your money and put you in our queue but we don’t book anything yet ourselves because we can’t with airlines etc and the best we get is to commit to 60 beds for week 1, 50 for week 2 etc etc. of course this may all have changed after Covid….

My family have booked with Crystal for years 15 months before they travel, taking the discounts and have never been let down like that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all! So hopefully if I finally work out where we want to go, I might be able to book hotels this month. Fab!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Crystal sell about 15 months before I think …

Gulp! do people really plan that far ahead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

do people really plan that far ahead

I never would, but then I'd never contemplate skiing at New Year unless forced at gunpoint!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

do people really plan that far ahead

I never would, but then I'd never contemplate skiing at New Year unless forced at gunpoint!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was only looking today at Jan 25 on the Crystal website -- no warning about ' subject to confirmation' but that is probably in the small print...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow&skifan wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:

My family have booked with Crystal for years 15 months before they travel, taking the discounts and have never been let down like that.

I didn’t say they would let you down. I said they can’t actually physically book anything as the flights do not exist in any airline or airport system that far ahead.

Even if they lease a plane, they can’t book a slot on the runway and a time 15 months out. They can plan for it and they can take your money for it and promise to do it when they can. Which is what they do and do well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We will be booking as soon as we know what dates are best for us.
snow report
Places will often offer outgoing guests an option to book for the following season, especially on peak weeks. A deposit for that option will be sought later in the summer.... If the option isn't taken, it will be offered out. Contact the owners of properties you like, even if they are showing as booked. Hopefully, you'll be lucky with one.
latest report
Ryanair flights are already out for new year and I’ve had a couple of hotel quotes. A couple of others said they’d be releasing prices this month. We spent our last day in Schladming over Christmas walking round hotels to book direct and hoping to do it this week!
snow report
If you're looking for a direct booked chalet it won't cost you more than time and a trickle of electricity to hunt down ones you're interested in and drop them a polite enquiry. Between their listing on tourist office sites to staling them on Google Maps/searching for the property name on Google you'll quite often find either a direct contact or a independent website for the property with one. If you're clear on your dates/that you're willing to book and pay your deposit whenever they're ready to take bookings at a minimum you might find out when they expect to open bookings for next year and they might even make a note/give you first refusal when bookings open. Worst case they don't reply, which just puts you in the same place as not dropping them a line.
snow conditions
- Most airlines post their flights 360-350 days ahead. But you will need to use their websites directly (I.e. you can go to BA.com and book but won’t find those flights on flights.google.com or others search engines yet as they tend to only have 10-11 months ahead)

- For cars it is worth booking with Expedia.co.uk and then checking as the date approaches. You can cancel up to 6hrs before pickup and prices can move a lot

- Hotels may take a few months to appear but the best is to check booking/hotels.com and pick refundable options
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy